Who Wins The Conn Smythe Trophy?

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Using Barkov's performance against the Rangers as a pro and not a con is a take.

4 points, 1 ES point. -2. 0 points in 4 of 7 games.

Either he shut down the incredibly dangerous Rangers 5on5 or Rangers are a terrible 5on5 team carried by their goalie. Take your pick. It's not both. And the fact that Rangers are so bad 5 on 5 and all Barkov could muster was 1 measly point in 6 games is not a feather in his cap.

Now that's an interesting take. But idk if they win those OT games against New York with their number 2 in net...but they may still win the series.
I didn't use it strictly as a pro. I used it to illustrate that Barkov and Bob can have off nights separately.

Other guy is trying to say defensive forwards aren't a thing, basically. 😁

90.9 would be a weak Conn Smythe compared to being a presence throughout the playoffs with a great defensive game and leading his team in scoring, by example and in the locker room by all accounts.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
McDavid unless Florida wins next game. Anything more than that and it's McDavid, he is way too far of everyone else in points. Could've been Bob but who knows after tonight.

Guy just beat Gretzky's record for most assists ever in the playoffs. If there's a time to give it to the losing team it's this year.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I bet I watched that series more closely than you did.

You can have all the fancy stats you want, but if you don't produce results, you're just the Carolina Hurricanes (or Barkov in the Rangers series).
I mean, Hurricanes is just an example that you need goaltending as well. And it's not like they had a bad season regardless. They performed plenty fine, considering the goaltending they received. Look at NJD to see where bad goaltending can take an otherwise good team.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
I didn't use it strictly as a pro. I used it to illustrate that Barkov and Bob can have off nights separately.

Other guy is trying to say defensive forwards aren't a thing, basically. 😁

90.9 would be a weak Conn Smythe compared to being a presence throughout the playoffs with a great defensive game and leading his team in scoring, by example and in the locker room by all accounts.
Fair enough. Got caught up in multiple responses.

Edit: I mean, I ultimately don't care who wins it. I have no horse in this race. If I had to choose who I like more between the two players I'd say Barkov hands down. If he wins the conn smythe, totally fine with that. I think they're both ultimately deserving based on their body of work. I just have my personal criteria for why I lean Bob.

Reactions: CashMash and JimXVX

Rogue Winger

Mar 10, 2018
You win some and lose some.

Conn Smythe is getting complicated. Barkov was Panthers clear MVP in the first 3 rounds, Bob a bit more in the finals until his last game collapse. McDavid is now back in the game, but I doubt they will award Conn Smythe to a skater if he is on the losing side.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
If my memory serves correct, and it may not, Reggie Leach is the last to win the Smythe on a losing team as a forward. But also, a record breaking post season. I can see it going to Jesus

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
No it's really not Bob was the star 1st 3 games Barkov got all this credit from posts and great goaltending
Weird that Bobs resurgence coincides with Florida team defence...

I don't think a TEAM would have as good of defense as Florida did if it all relied on one forward playing 20-24 minutes a night. It's a system.
And it is your right to think that way.

Rogue Winger

Mar 10, 2018
If my memory serves correct, and it may not, Reggie Leach is the last to win the Smythe on a losing team as a forward. But also, a record breaking post season. I can see it going to Jesus
I somehow remembered that only goalies can win it on the losing side, but if that is the case McDavid is the clear favorite.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
No way.

Nobody on the opposition should win a CS in a 6 game or less series imo.

If it goes 7, they lose, and he has a whack more points, maybe.
Agreed. Bob is a huge reason why they won game 1 and 3. Barkov has been huge in all 3 Panthers wins. All that matters is getting to 4. Both players have been stand-outs this series.

I'm an Oilers fan and don't think this. McDavid is the best player on the planet... But unless the can somehow manage to get to game 7, I don't think he has any business sniffing the MVP trophy.
Conn Smythe is an award for the entire postseason though, not just the finals.

And i mean, we're talking about an assist record by Gretzky being broken, and having the most playoff points this century.

Barkov and Bobrovsky have been amazing don't get me wrong. But they arent doing anything that hasn't been done by other players just in the last few years.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Conn Smythe is an award for the entire postseason though, not just the finals.

And i mean, we're talking about an assist record by Gretzky being broken, and having the most playoff points this century.

Barkov and Bobrovsky have been amazing don't get me wrong. But they arent doing anything that hasn't been done by other players just in the last few years.

Breaking records does not necessarily provide the kind of value that the evaluators will be looking at. I don't think McDavid has a poor chance here but he does have a high scoring team with him. Wearing the C doesn't hurt.

Ideally the MVP has been good in all 4 series and had very few off-games, especially consecutive ones.

Reactions: Felidae

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
McDavid unless Florida wins next game. Anything more than that and it's McDavid, he is way too far of everyone else in points. Could've been Bob but who knows after tonight.

Guy just beat Gretzky's record for most assists ever in the playoffs. If there's a time to give it to the losing team it's this year.
I think this is why McDavid just on the Conn Smythe tonight even if the Oilers end up losing in 5.

• Haha
Reactions: T REX

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
But that's bullshit.

Bob didn't win the previous matchups. Swayman and Shesty best him head to head. He has been better than Skinner in the finals until today.

Conn Smythe is for playoffs. Not finals where you finally started watching.

Do those 2 games in the finals matter more than the rest of playoffs?
Just because two other goalies were relied upon more doesn't negate the fact he was still phenomenal in those series. His save % wasn't miraculous but he was stopping a lot of high danger chances and not letting weak ones in.

In the Tampa Bay series commentary was ragging on Barkov asking when he was gonna show up. He then had a great game 5.

Then had a great series against Boston. Then had a very lacklustre series against New York (the argument is he shut down prolific playoff performing Artemi Panarin lol) while finishing at 0.5ppg and a -4.

Then he's had a good series against Edmonton but that's due to Bob being phenomenal.

In no way shape or form has he been the difference maker in every series. In fact he had a shit series in New York, was absent for half of the TB one, but credit definitely was earned against Boston.

Meanwhile Bob has been keeping them in pretty much all of the games he's played.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
If the series gets pushed to 6 or 7 games and McDavid scores 40+ points, in addition to scoring the all time playoff assist record, you'd have to go with him because he is more valuable to his team than anyone on Florida is to their team. That said, it's extremely unlikely to happen.

Bobrovsky rocking a .909 has zero business winning a Conn Smythe now. I know, in general, he has been good. He has been consistent too. But a .909 just doesn't get you a Conn Smythe and it shouldn't.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think this is why McDavid just on the Conn Smythe tonight even if the Oilers end up losing in 5.

Bets have it as

(Return on your money)
Bob x1.95
Barkov x 2.10
McDavid x8.5

Right now if it was tied between Barkov& Bob basically would be a lot tougher to see it handed to Bob, Bobs case is completely build around finals and he was taken off in one of the games

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
All I know is that if the Oilers lose the Cup and McDavid wins the Conn Smythe, he's gonna be miserable for that on-ice presentation photo. I've never seen a player want to win more than he does.

Reactions: wetcoast and Oak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad