Votes: 114 42.4%
  • ovi

Votes: 155 57.6%

• Total voters

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
Most of these responses are delusional.

The point of the game is to win. Not to stand and cherry pick to pad your own stats.

No one of this era has won more than Crosby.

He's also won Olympic golds and a world championship.

Just like Henderson's goal, they'll still be playing his Vancouver 2010 goal 50 years later.

The guy who won.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If we are still debating Bowie vs McGee on the history forum 120 years after the fact, we will still be debating Crosby vs Ovechkin long after all of us are dead.

True enough but most of the debate is because it's hard to compare those 2 guys with so little information.

With the 2 guys in the poll people will have tons of information and video to watch.

Also I'm not really sure what the OP's question was, looked more like a statment to me.

Both guys will have eternal NHL legacies so neither guy will have a "longer" one.

Last edited:

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
There is one thing I'll say...

If you ask somebody about Howe they're more likely to talk about goals (801), points (1850) and games played (1767 -- over five decades) then they are about cup wins (4). I'd go as far as to say that most people here probably couldn't recall off the top of their head how many cups wins Howe had, but a significant number could recall his goals scored.

Winning absolutely matters (to a point), but in certain rarefied air, individual accolades matter just as much if not more.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

If you ask somebody about Howe they're more likely to talk about goals (801), points (1850) and games played (1767 -- over five decades) then they are about cup wins (4). I'd go as far as to say that most people here probably couldn't recall off the top of their head how many cups wins Howe had, but a significant number could recall his goals scored.

Winning absolutely matters (to a point), but in certain rarefied air, individual accolades matter just as much if not more.
Well sure, 4 cups (actually 3 since he was injured for one) in a 26 year career in a 6-team league is actually subpar.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
The amount of goals scored is simple and tangible unlike Crosby's achievements so people will remember Ovechkin better.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016

It's the same with every player. Does anyone know or care how many cups Gretzky won? The first thing people think about is 200pt seasons, 2000+ pts, 894 goals, etc. Lemieux? 199pts, coming back from cancer to win the ross. Orr? 8x Norris, only Dman to win the ross. It's just a lame argument by Crosby fans because on an individual level his legacy is nowhere close to OV. Doesn't mean OV is a better player, which some people seem to be confusing it with.

Reactions: PM88RU
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

The point of the game is to win. Not to stand and cherry pick to pad your own stats.

Just like Henderson's goal, they'll still be playing his Vancouver 2010 goal 50 years later.

The guy who won.

What do you mean by no one has won more? Are we talking Cups? There are multiple 3x cup winners in the same era.

Reactions: FrankSidebottom

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
It'll still slightly be Crosby regardless of the record. You can't ignore that he's been the face of the NHL for nearly two decades. He's been the player who random non-fans can identify and associate with the game. I see so many random Crosby jerseys in public 4 states away that's it's ridiculous.

That said, these two are going down in history together. Everything played out perfectly from the outset where two amazing players with vastly different skillsets took the ice at the same time and dominated in their own ways. You can barely mention one without the other coming up as well. To have two players of this caliber at the exact same time and live up to the pre-NHL hype - this has been something special. You can't pull up a discussion about one without the other coming up today and that will reign true in the future as well.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Well sure, 4 cups (actually 3 since he was injured for one) in a 26 year career in a 6-team league is actually subpar.

Kinda missing the point....

Even if Howe had 8 cups or even 12, people would likely talk about/remember his goal scoring record and not remember how many cups he had without looking it up. Honestly figured Howe had won more cups than that before I looked it up.

Which is why this is kind of tied to Ovi breaking the record or not.

If he breaks Gretzky's record it's a slight edge to Ovi.

if he doesn't, it's a slightly more significant edge to Sid.

If he gets the record, and someone breaks it at a later date, it might slide back to Sid.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Crosby is better and he will be remembered as so.

I truly do not understand ovechkin fanboys. He is a better goal scorer, yes. But he is by far the worse player.

And believe me when I say this, I know he is more than his “one-timer” on the pp, but make no mistake there are so many situations where that’s where he gets all his points. It’s impressive, but not as impressive as carrying scrubs all the time.

Reactions: pi314

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

The guy who won.

That’s why Henri Richard is the best player in history.

Oh he isn’t?

Right.

Reactions: LightningStorm

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
In 100 years ? I guess maybe Ovi but tbh how famous are any hockey players after 100 years? Basically only babe Ruth is the only baseball player and he was a revolutionary cultural icon in America.

It's likely not people won't know who either one is at all, maybe Ovi I guess will be higher in goals but it's unlikely he is still the leader in a century, history shows records usually fall soon before that, and it's not like he's going to be astronomically ahead of some others, someone will likely come along and break it.

As for lasting legacy , it's like picking between magic or bird, the names are so intertwined you can't bring up one without the other

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
What do you mean by no one has won more? Are we talking Cups? There are multiple 3x cup winners in the same era.

If he was some passenger on a great team, that argument might hold merit.

All he's done is win since he was 9 years old.

QMJHL, world junior, world cup, world championship, Olympic golds, Stanley cups, Hart trophies, Ted Lindsey, Rocket Richard, Conn Smythes, Art Ross trophies, world cup MVP, etc etc.

Throw in 18 straight years above a point per game.

All that while having his best years taken away by goonery.

He's won all that and we didn't even see his best.

You play to win the game.

And all he's done is win.

FrankSidebottom

Mar 16, 2021
If he was some passenger on a great team, that argument might hold merit.

All he's done is win since he was 9 years old.

QMJHL, world junior, world cup, world championship, Olympic golds, Stanley cups, Hart trophies, Ted Lindsey, Rocket Richard, Conn Smythes, Art Ross trophies, world cup MVP, etc etc.

Throw in 18 straight years above a point per game.

All that while having his best years taken away by goonery.

He's won all that and we didn't even see his best.

You play to win the game.

And all he's done is win.
Honestly it’s not that difficult to win on stacked Canadian teams or when you have another generational talent as your 2C, who often outscores you in PO. Ovechkin had neither, but his individual trophy case is even better.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Tbh the all time goal record is never brought up in an all time argument.
This is true but it's the narrative some want to set and when he gets there, lets see how he actually looks in the process.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Honestly it’s not that difficult to win on stacked Canadian teams or when you have another generational talent as your 2C, who often outscores you in PO. Ovechkin had neither, but his individual trophy case is even better.
Interesting. I though kuznetzov led the 2018 playoffs in scoring with 32 points?

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON

Or maybe, just maybe, those teams win consistently because Crosby is on them.

It's not like Russia or Washington weren't stacked during Ovechkin's tenure.

You guys are so full of excuses.

Standing by the faceoff circle waiting to crank one-timers is just one small part of hockey.

GgQTwMs.png

Just maybe stuff like this in the playoffs in OT is why Ovechkin doesn't win more?

ovi.gif

In the playoffs. In OT.

But moar goals!

FrankSidebottom

Mar 16, 2021
Or maybe, just maybe, those teams win consistently because Crosby is on them.

It's not like Russia or Washington weren't stacked during Ovechkin's tenure.

You guys are so full of excuses.

Standing by the faceoff circle waiting to crank one-timers is just one small part of hockey.

GgQTwMs.png

Just maybe stuff like this in the playoffs in OT is why Ovechkin doesn't win more?

ovi.gif

In the playoffs. In OT.

But moar goals!
Yeah, it’s only because of this Crosby guy, who never led his team in scoring during SC wins. The same Crosby guy who won the Conn Smythe having 19 points in 24 games being -2. Nothing less than pure domination, Sidney Dominator as he is.

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
Yeah, it’s only because of this Crosby guy, who never led his team in scoring during SC wins. The same Crosby guy who won the Conn Smythe having 19 points in 24 games being -2. Nothing less than pure domination, Sidney Dominator as he is.

Yes let's cherry pick one single stat and not the entire résumé.

QMJHL, world junior, world cup, world championship, Olympic golds, Stanley cups, Hart trophies, Ted Lindsey, Rocket Richard, Conn Smythes, Art Ross trophies, world cup MVP, etc etc.​
Throw in 18 straight years above a point per game.​

Never mind the point you seem to miss, is that it isn't fantasy hockey, where simply copy and pasting stats explains everything.

One guy literally can be put in any situation and do what is required to win. One guy can float, take a slap shot, and throw a big hit every now and then.

You'll always have to make excuses for the losing.

MightySelanne8

Mar 10, 2014
Helsinki
If and when OV breaks the goalscoring record, it will be him 100%. Better player is Crosby, but he holds no major records nor has a shot of breaking one(that I can think of).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad