Who will be tanking for Gavin McKenna in 2025-2026?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Today I learned me not calling a 16 year old prospect “special” is hating on him.

Nice to know.

Angelo Esposito had a similar output as a 16 year old (. Anything is possible. I don’t think he’s going first overall, simple as that. I’m sorry if that offends you. Maybe you need a break from the internet for a day because you can’t seem to grasp not everyone shares the same opinion as you.
Esposito put up those numbers on an absolutely stacked Quebec Ramparts team where Radulov scored more than 150 points. Comparatively, McKenna was the highest scoring player on Medicine Hat when he played half the season at 15 (Esposito, by contrast, was a February birthday). In hindsight, it's no surprise that Esposito took a big step back when Radulov left.

McKenna might end up not being a Bedard-like prospect, but he's definitely a MacKinnon-level talent already. That's a special player to most people.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Okey so is this just a guessing game, or do we actually evaluate prospects by what we see?

It's possible (though unlikely) that he falls apart in the next two years, or some other talent comes out of nowhere. But right now there is not a single evidence that would hint to that. So to say he's not a special talent is just trying to be edgy/different.

By all means tell us what you think is wrong in his game and post the 4 players that will get drafted ahead of him.
I’m not a fan of his skating, he isn’t a burner and at times he struggles against defences that are focusing on him with physicality.

It’ll come as he matures but I’m not sold he is special. He is fantastic, but isn’t at the level of McDavid/Bedard/Crosby. That’s who I think of when I hear the word special. Not Gavin McKenna.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The 2003-04 Capitals weren't planning on Alex Ovechkin or Evgeni Malkin in July of 2003. They had just made the playoffs and picked at 18 in 2003, so I don't think their focus was on the 2004 Draft

I think the point is that that's not a "tank", they were just bad. Unintentional tanking is an oxymoron because tanking by its definition has intention behind it.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I’m not a fan of his skating, he isn’t a burner and at times he struggles against defences that are focusing on him with physicality.

It’ll come as he matures but I’m not sold he is special. He is fantastic, but isn’t at the level of McDavid/Bedard/Crosby. That’s who I think of when I hear the word special. Not Gavin McKenna.
He's a better top end skater than Bedard

I think the point is that that's not a "tank", they were just bad. Unintentional tanking is an oxymoron because tanking by its definition has intention behind it.
That means unintentional tank though. They had no plans on tanking before the season, were bad, and then sold off assets like Jagr and Michael Nylander in order to get worse. It wasn't an all out planned tank like the 2022-23 Chicago Blackhawks were. The 2007-08 and 2008-09 Tampa Bay Lightning were unintentional tanks: they fell off a cliff in 2007-08 when they weren't trying to be bad, and in 2008-09, they added pieces in UFA to surround Stamkos, trying to get better and it didn't work out, so they were bad again.

Reactions: DaveG

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Calgary, Pittsburgh, Washington, NYI, and St. Louis come to mind as possibilities. I think the cohort of SJ/Chicago/Anaheim/Columbus will be picking in the 6-12 range by that point, though you never know.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
UncleGary.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
The Battle of Alberta being the battle of the Mcs seems like something the script writers would cook up. I also wouldn't be surprised if Chicago are still legitimately in the thick of being able to jump and get him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Fall for Hall
Quit winnin' for MacKinnon
Fall hard for Bedard
[Redacted] weenie for Celebrini.

Gavin McKenna is tough...

Play like you just got off a trans-Atlantic flight after a two week vacation in Europe that honestly was more work than just staying home because of the kids basically never sleeping and throwing tantrums at every opportunity but hey at least you got to see Vienna.... for McKenna?

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
sadly, is going to be Pittsburgh. The golden trio will probably be out of Pitts by the summer of 2025 and they start rebuild the team with another franchise player like Gavin...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad