OT: Who was your favourite, and Least favourite , player(s) from the year you registered on this forum?

HabSgt

Go Habs D'OH
Oct 19, 2019
Montreal
2019 but I was lurking a long long time before that.

Fav: Slick Nick thank you forever Vegas

Least: Alzzzner & Weal

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Least favorite: Janne Niinimaa probably one of the worst player I've ever seen wear the Habs jersey and Sergei Samsonov, what a let down man. I was so excited to see him play with the Habs and dude was just running around in circle in the o-zone.

Favorite: Kovalev, KevSkillz4

Reactions: Stive Morgan

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Least favorite: Janne Niinimaa probably one of the worst player I've ever seen wear the Habs jersey and Sergei Samsonov, what a let down man. I was so excited to see him play with the Habs and dude was just running around in circle in the o-zone.

Favorite: Kovalev, KevSkillz4

I was excited too. He was typically one of the more noticeable players against montreal as a Bruin in the playoffs, and they played each other alot.

In retrospect, when someone isn't signed until later in the summer, it can sometimes be a warning sign that the player may not be what you think. In this case, samsonov wasn't really samsonov anymore.

I just took a look at samsonov's db. He only played 8 games in 02/03. Then his numbers started taking dip right after.

I don't recall his injury, but maybe that had something to do with his decline.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
2004-2005

My fav player was Gary “lockout” Bettman

2005-2006

Alex Kovalev
Good point. Wasn't long after I joined there was no NHL hockey. Spent a lot of time on the Business of Hockey and History forums.

Favorite will always be Jean Béliveau.

Least favorite is tough, maybe Gilles Lupien. I ran into him once (literally). It was at the old Forum and we were both looking in the opposite direction. Bam!!! I can confirm he was a really big dude. I didn't dislike him though; he brought a lot of toughness to the team.

One player who was tough to watch around that time was David Aebischer. Seems like the Habs brought in a long list of players on their last NHL legs over the years. It's a dramatic change to see all the youth on the roster now.

Last edited:

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Joined February 2012,
Had to look it up….
My favorite was Erik Cole, close 2nd was PK
My punching bag was Gomez.
Probably the saddest Habs team to watch of all time.
Number 1 center Desharnais and a smurf size motley crew consisting of prima Donna Cammalleri, shoot at the logo Gionta, lazy Kostytsin , lazy Moen, lazy Bourque , deer in the headlights Eller and the list goes on and on and on….. look it up, you’ll see names you wished you forgot.
I did really like Cole and what he brought to the team, he had a great influence on Pacioretty during that season, after Cole got traded, Pacioretty went back to being a perimeter winger.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
2003: Easier answer would be to say Koivu. I'll say...Petrov!
Worst? Easy...Patrick Traverse

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
This thread inspired me to go back to the Business forum and re-read what we were discussing back in 2004 (the threads are thankfully still there!). Lots of cba talk and the lockout. Two stories I had forgotten about, the attempt to revive the WHA and the players short lived OSHL league. Never been much of a fan of Gary Bettman but he's made a lot of money for both sides of that dispute. Hard to imagine the NHL without some form of a salary cap now.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I joined here in the summer of 2005 while waiting for the lockout to end.

Favourites: Koivu, Zednik, Markov, Komisarek, Kostitsyn, Perezhogin, Theodore
Least favourites: Kovalev, Ribeiro, Begin

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
2010-2011

Faves: Price, Pac, Plek, Ak46, PK, Hamrlik, Eller

Least? Hmm tough not anyone jumps out. Gomez and Gio
Love seeing Hamrlik mentioned. In the two years I worked at the Bell Centre, I'm pretty sure the only Hammer jersey that was sold was to me.

edit:

OSHQJuA.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrb1p

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
I joined in July 2009, at a moment when the team was completely transformed with a brand new core. It would be easy to think about how the players were the years before or after, for example during the Halak run in 2010, but if I try to take a snapshot of how I felt back in 2009...

2008-2009 Habs:

Love
: Kovalev, Hamrlik, Lang, Kostopoulos (guy couldn't win a fight but he was giving his best effort for the team), Komisarek, Schneider, the vintage white centennial jersey (probably still my 2nd favorite Habs jersey after the current home one minus the RBC patch), the home All-Star Game full of Habs (and looking at the roster, full of past or future Habs too)

Dislike: Can't say I hated any player, but IIRC I wasn't a big fan of Tanguay (I think I expected some kind of superstar player), "Worst day in Habs history", Barberpole jersey

2009-2010 Habs:

Love
: Gomez (for real, on his first season with us watching him carry the puck from zone to zone was a beauty although he had the tendency to lose it once in the o-zone), Plekanec, Cammalleri

Dislike: Laraque (I like the guy, but oof he was completely done), Pouliot (frustrating), Bergeron (every time he was on ice there would be a goal... for us or the opponent), I think I wasn't a big fan of Spacek when he joined

Love HM: Markov, he was great, but I remember more the post-injuries General

Dislike HM: The Kostitsyn brothers, Sergei in particular, but I think they were still pretty young at the time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad