Connecticut
A few more numbers to compare, for what they are worth:

Takeaways/giveaways plus/minus

Kopitar 754/828 +94

Bergeron 706/375 +289

Toews 841/460 +148

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews have been "too close to call" for a while now.

Pretty sure no one has seen a lot of each one to be able to make a more accurate assessment.

But I'd bet if there was someone who did, they'd say too close to call also.
I'd put it as Toews, then Kopitar, then Bergeron, but I do think they belong grouped together and wouldn't argue with someone arranging them in pretty much any way.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Underrated aspect of Bergeron’s game was how well he adapted to his line mates and made his lines better.

Like I don’t think it’s a coincidence at all that Crosby’s best international performances came with Bergeron on his line.

Reactions: DitchMarner

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Kopitar for me. He's been the Kings' Mr Everything for almost his entire career. Leading them in scoring 15 out of 18 seasons while also doing all the heavy lifting defensively for their forwards is bonkers.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
It is an impossible to know statement (what does Kopitar have done for team Canada in that hypothetical world, Bergeron from the WJC to the adults tourney is one of the big player of his generation, in very visible tourney.... and certainly help him legacy wise.)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Kopitar is the best individual talent, I'd say. Bergeron is the best at a thing, and that... may have more value though?

Bergeron has an argument as the best defensive forward of all time. Is that worth more than a very good - top tier defensive forward who is better offensively?

Letsdothis

Jun 19, 2024
It is an impossible to know statement (what does Kopitar have done for team Canada in that hypothetical world, Bergeron from the WJC to the adults tourney is one of the big player of his generation, in very visible tourney.... and certainly help him legacy wise.)
Probably not what they meant, but you have to imagine Kopitar was working from such a disadvantage when it comes to hockey development in his younger years in Slovenia that if he has access to the Canadian hockey development infrastructure maybe he becomes a generational talent like Crosby.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
My gut says Kopitar, even though I loved Bergeron as a player. At the very least, Kopitar had the size and strength to match up well with (and often get the better of) the big western conference centres of his day - Getzlaf, Thornton, and Toews.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Probably not what they meant, but you have to imagine Kopitar was working from such a disadvantage when it comes to hockey development in his younger years in Slovenia that if he has access to the Canadian hockey development infrastructure maybe he becomes a generational talent like Crosby.
Kopitar's father was a professional player and then a coach for all of Kopitar's childhood. I'd have to think that his development opportunities were pretty good all things considered.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
You can't really go wrong either way. My gut and eyes take Bergeron, but you aren't losing sleep if you pick Kopitar either. I always felt Bergeron could play in any sort of era and play the same way and be the same sort of player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad