GDT: 2024 Rookie Tournament

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
You really hate the pick eh. Ignoring development for big skill players completely.

He's a second rounder. Don't think a swedes first priority is school. But I actually would prefer if he was going to college for his development route for a big player.
I'm referring to his hockey development path. Bold choosing CHL over the college route for a long term project.

Reactions: bert

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
It'll be interesting to see if Filip Nordberg is on the roster. Haven't heard any news about where he might be playing this season.

Someone needs to do a case study on Nordberg and how to botch a prospect’s development. His path has been nonsense.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I wonder if/when Ruutu starts getting some heat for his record. They haven't given him a ton of high swings, but he's been head scout in Europe since 2018-19 and we're still waiting on him to hit on a single pick in that role.

Look at his work in the first three rounds over those years - Nordberg is trending poorly, Hamara is trending poorly, Johannson is trending poorly and Jarventie is out of the organization. Then there's Pettersson, who has a chance but he looks more like organization depth, and Merilainen who has a chance, but who knows with goalies.
It's definitely time for some scrutiny. Excepting Stutzle, who was an obvious pick at 3rd, the last quality player the Sens drafted out of Europe was Mika Zibanejad in 2011. That was 13 years ago!

When Vaclav Burda and Anders Forsberg left the Sens, Ruutu was promoted up the ladder simply because he was the last man standing. Doesn't look like it was a merit thing.

At this point it seems like everybody agrees that the Sens have an amateur scouting issue. Everybody except the Sens themselves, I guess.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
It's definitely time for some scrutiny. Excepting Stutzle, who was an obvious pick at 3rd, the last quality player the Sens drafted out of Europe was Mika Zibanejad in 2011. That was 13 years ago!

When Vaclav Burda and Anders Forsberg left the Sens, Ruutu was promoted up the ladder simply because he was the last man standing. Doesn't look like it was a merit thing.

At this point it seems like everybody agrees that the Sens have an amateur scouting issue. Everybody except the Sens themselves, I guess.

Totally overlooked Stutzle, though as you say, he wasn't exactly any one scout's find.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

It's the off-season and Staios is taking his time to upgrade the scouting staff! He has to get it right and not make any panic last-minute moves. He is taking an appropriate amount of time. Right?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It's the off-season and Staios is taking his time to upgrade the scouting staff! He has to get it right and not make any panic last-minute moves. He is taking an appropriate amount of time. Right?
I imagine that there also has to be some super awesome scouts available as well. I’m not sure hiring for the sake of hiring is any better even if we do need more eyes on prospects.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
45 GP 5 P 56 PIM and a -11 on a championship London team. Let's just say that I didn't need to watch his highlight reel to know what kind of player he was.

Man the Sens really do like this type of player, don't they.
Just filling out a rookie roster, it's always filled with guys like this that have no future in the NHL/AHL

Lot's of guys get invited who will be playing for the X-Men, Axemen or Huskies in the next year or two

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Just filling out a rookie roster, it's always filled with guys like this that have no future in the NHL/AHL

Lot's of guys get invited who will be playing for the X-Men, Axemen or Huskies in the next year or two

Oh for sure. And you want guys who will play hard. Not sure I want a guy like this going apeshit and hurting someone though.

What are the odds this guy somehow manages to injury Tyler Boucher? LOL.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Less concerned about loading up for rough stuff since the Habs aren’t in the tournament.

They seem to always goon it up at this tourney.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
45 GP 5 P 56 PIM and a -11 on a championship London team. Let's just say that I didn't need to watch his highlight reel to know what kind of player he was.

Man the Sens really do like this type of player, don't they.

They are obsessed.

There are dozens of re-entries selected in the draft every year and a smart team utilizes camp invites to get extended looks at the undrafted prospects they think have the highest likelihood of potentially ending up as gems.

Or you can do what the Sens do and invite a bunch of useless plugs that have zero NHL potential.

Reactions: Cosmix

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They are obsessed.

There are dozens of re-entries selected in the draft every year and a smart team utilizes camp invites to get extended looks at the undrafted prospects they think have the highest likelihood of potentially ending up as gems.

Or you can do what the Sens do and invite a bunch of useless plugs that have zero NHL potential.
Yawn.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
8 points in 63 games.

Improvement on Boulton's 5 points in 45 games at least :laugh:
Ward was given high praise by Lethbridge's coach, former NHL head coach Bill Peters. He is actually considered a decent prospect and has a good chance to either earn a contract if he performs well or get drafted next year if he has a strong season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad