Who should the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft?

Who do the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
I really liked Lev based on the public reports I read, but listening to people on this board that actually watched him play has me kinda nervous.

Before the Lev criticism started I was like cool, they're 1A and 1B, but I strongly believe they should take Demidov because where is the scoring coming from?

Now, I'm not as confident in my belief that Lev will be a top pairing D.

Reactions: Paul Allen

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
“His hockey sense and skills are better than any forward [in the draft] with the exception of [Celebrini and Demidov],” said a scout.

Okay... so the only reason you're ranking Catton at 10-18 scouts is .. because of the size? So we still haven't learned from Benson, DeBrincat, Point for example.. All undersized players who are extremely talented and underdrafted. Also 5'11 174 at 18 isn't even that undersized.
If it drops him to a point where we can trade up and grab him, I’m not even mad. Leaving the draft with Demidov and Catton would be an absolute dream.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I really liked Lev based on the public reports I read, but listening to people on this board that actually watched him play has me kinda nervous.

Before the Lev criticism started I was like cool, they're 1A and 1B, but I strongly believe they should take Demidov because where is the scoring coming from?

I wouldn't be nervous about Lev. He's still going to be a good player. But, no I don't think he's a slamdunk top pairing defender. I think a rock solid #3D is the projection (second unit on special teams). I wouldn't take him over Silayev, Iginla, or Demidov, but it's not a bad pick either.

If you're concerned about scoring, Iginla is the better scorer than Demidov.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014

I think the tools are absolutely there for him to be a top-4 D. I think he can be a top pairing D. People have questions about his hockey IQ which are understandable. I don’t think his hockey IQ is bad though. Just not Buium/Parekh level for a D.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

The specific criticisms of his play are valid, what's rarely said by those against taking him is a lot of Scouts seem to like his potential specifically because he's had less than good development path.

Since Belarus training doesn't have a good track record, but he dominated there. Has 1 year in ushl, late decides to go to college, and some scouts say he improved a lot defensively in the year. He's jumped 3 levels in 3 years, only has 2 NA years played. So, yeah he had struggles that many think with consistency and training in NA hockey he will develop a lot more

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Lev is going to be a very good player. Not a doubt in my mind. This will all be forgotten in next years draft in a strong forward draft and the Hawks draft a better piece for the pipeline. Hell, I have a feeling with their second pick this year, Hawks will get a very good player.

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO

I have no criticism of his physical ability and I think he has a high enough floor that I don't see him busting. If the Hawks think they can fix the mental side of his game, then he definitely has enough upside to be a top pairing RD. My thing is, we're drafting 2nd overall, I don't want a lot of questions in a player.

Reactions: hawksrule

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I have no criticism of his physical ability and I think he has a high enough floor that I don't see him busting. If the Hawks think they can fix the mental side of his game, then he definitely has enough upside to be a top pairing RD. My thing is, we're drafting 2nd overall, I don't want a lot of questions in a player.
I think Lev plays in the NHL for a long time I just don't think he has the peak you want from a guy you draft at two.

eklund2chicago

Jan 19, 2021
Why would Wirtz be in Florida to meet Demidov if they think Levshunov is BPA?
There would be no need for the owner to meet with Demidov and to see if there is any "russian factor" if they already thought Lev is BPA

And now when the size concerns and the fear of Demidov not coming over has disappeard it would make sense that they really want him.

Idk, if this was the case I guess more people would probably speculate in the same way. Wirtz/Chicago probably just wants to explore all opportunities before making the pick.

DemiGod

GoHawks
Jul 20, 2022
The specific criticisms of his play are valid, what's rarely said by those against taking him is a lot of Scouts seem to like his potential specifically because he's had less than good development path.

Since Belarus training doesn't have a good track record, but he dominated there. Has 1 year in ushl, late decides to go to college, and some scouts say he improved a lot defensively in the year. He's jumped 3 levels in 3 years, only has 2 NA years played. So, yeah he had struggles that many think with consistency and training in NA hockey he will develop a lot more
Badinka has risen 3 levels in 2 different countries in just 12 months (+33 SHL games). Let's leave the excuses, this is a pick 2.

2021-22: Czechia
2022-23: Finland u20
2023-24: Sweden u20 and SHL (33games Malmo Redhawks)

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
When I was catching up on the Alfons Freij train everyone was driving, I watched a few of their games and always came away with Leo Sahlin Wallenius being better. (Didn't even go into it looking to scout Leo Sahlin Wallenius, just ended up noticing him way more.) Didn't have an amazing u18s but if I needed a puck moving LD, I would certainly be interested in him of Freij.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Badinka has risen 3 levels in 2 different countries in just 12 months (+33 SHL games). Let's leave the excuses, this is a pick 2.

2021-22: Czechia
2022-23: Finland u20
2023-24: Sweden u20 and SHL (33games Malmo Redhawks)
Um.. okay what? How is this relevant or similar?

The points are Belarus has poor development, are you saying Czechia has poor development? Then from Euro to NA.

Staying in Euro ice, from Czechia to finland to sweden junior leagues isnt a significant rise... many prospects get a taste of pro leagues. That's just 1 real shift up though.

What is this silly reaction?

TheDoorDoctor

Mar 6, 2013
ONT
There would be no need for the owner to meet with Demidov and to see if there is any "russian factor" if they already thought Lev is BPA

And now when the size concerns and the fear of Demidov not coming over has disappeard it would make sense that they really want him.

Idk, if this was the case I guess more people would probably speculate in the same way. Wirtz/Chicago probably just wants to explore all opportunities before making the pick.
Call me crazy but this reasoning for wirtz being in Florida makes a lot of sense.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012

Levshunov was there too. Malpractice to not see both. The Hawks aren’t idiots, they know all the HF Lemmings are going to sewer them when their BPA, Levshunov gets picked against the fan bases wishes. It’s a PR trip.

… but good point lol.

Reactions: Malaka and Idionym

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
When I was catching up on the Alfons Freij train everyone was driving, I watched a few of their games and always came away with Leo Sahlin Wallenius being better. (Didn't even go into it looking to scout Leo Sahlin Wallenius, just ended up noticing him way more.) Didn't have an amazing u18s but if I needed a puck moving LD, I would certainly be interested in him of Freij.

Wallenius stood out a lot more to me at the u18s than Freij for sure. If I were choosing between the two, I'd take Wallenius.

Mjul Qvist

Nov 28, 2009
Call me crazy but this reasoning for wirtz being in Florida makes a lot of sense.

“If you’re going to take a Russian in the top five picks, your owner has to be on board,” one scout said. “It’s not just a hockey decision. Your GM has to have an idea of how soon that [Russian] player will or won’t be coming to North America. It’s not insurmountable, but there are added layers to taking a Russian really high in the draft.”

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
"If you’re going to take a Russian in the top five picks, your owner has to be on board,” one scout said. “It’s not just a hockey decision. Your GM has to have an idea of how soon that [Russian] player will or won’t be coming to North America. It’s not insurmountable, but there are added layers to taking a Russian really high in the draft.”

No Russian factor though....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad