Who should the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft?

Who do the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Everywhere I look he is listed at 5'10" or 5'11"..... past experience tells me he is maybe 5'10" if he stretches before being measured. :) .... but TBH, I think too much emphasis is put on height.

Of course it is nice if a player is 6' or taller but weight and how a player uses the body is a bigger factor than height in my view. I haven't seen the kid play so I can't comment on that.

There was a report a few weeks ago from a Russian scout that said he has grown to 184cm which is 72.4 inches - so just a tic under 6 feet and 1/2 inch.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Silayev is coming over.

Larionov has even encouraged him to leave as soon as he can. He knows what's best for him.

They're both safe, in terms of willingness to come over.
Last I looked Bobby Mac had Silayev at #2, which sounded a bit high when looking at other analysts/scouts ratings. He sounds like another Vlasic only more physical; with Hawks recent tendency to favor big rangy Dman you never know for sure but I don't think so. Not at #2.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Agreed. Especially over a singular inch. If people genuinely believe that Demidov being a hair over 6’0 as opposed to ~5’11 is going to be a deciding factor then they’re out to lunch
Nobody is winning a Cup with a top 6 of sub 6ft forwards

It doesn't happen

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I understand not wanting to put together an entire top 6 of forwards with similar builds who play similar games, but 5’11 vs 6’0 in that case is meaningless semantics. If Demidov is the pick at 6’0 then he still would have been at 5’11
I mean the 1 inch difference I'd agree with.

Some people thought he was more like 5'10". Milstein says 6'1".

For me that makes enough of a difference.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
I’m cool with either Levshunov or Demidov. A few months ago, I was all in on Levshunov. Then I watched some Demidov and he was my guy at 2 with Levshunov closely behind him. Rumors started coming out about Lev potentially being the pick and I got back on board with him over Demidov. Now these reports about Demidov come out and I’m not sure who I want more. This NHL Draft needs to get here already.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
IMG_8738.jpeg

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
EP RINKSIDE (eprinkside.com), the edfitorial site that eliteprospects uses for their scouts to comment on (behind their Premium subscription pay wall ) released part of a article they did on howcgreatcaxd-man draft iscand identifying thevtop tier of d-men including all the usual suspects...(Levshunov,Dickinson Parekh Buuim ,Siilayev ,Yakemchuk ...BUT now also including STIAN SOLBERG with thisctop tire...ElitexProspects now ranks SOLBERG 20th overall..but according to their Lead scout a d akso their top European scout whose names are on the article,the team at EP thinks ANY of these top tier dmen could emerge as the best of the grouping ...they pointbout that there are different types and abilities across this top tier of dmen...Shutdown D,Offenssive scoring D,and 2-way D..

For a compleyevbreakdownnofveach,you need to be a Premium subscriber to get thevfill article.

But my take-away is that SOLBERG has made a remarkable "riser" now on recent late rankings (Craig Button now has him at 15th overall)...I do not know what Bob Mckenzie's Final rankings are will show....or how much NHL teams themselves will rank Solberg's rise into their lists..
I think he may actualky be the best shutdown D of this draft..He is tge most agile of the dnen(proved on agility tests at the combine(, he has a very goid shot but uoto now has not been aggressive on attack...couldcand should use it more if he gets a less cautious more aggressive attacking philosophy..He may be the most physical of alk the dmen in thisxtier...super physical and big hitter into the boards..heis a human eraser for sure.. He can skate pucks outcand makes good outlet passes..he reads and processes well in the d-zone ..Hisareas of improvement are items in theo-zone..more aggressive risk taking pucks in deeper ...his puck -handling needsxto improve if he wants to dominate more offensive zone possession instead of just dishing off to get rid of the puck...so hecwill need to improve in this area to become a greater offensivectgreat..BUT he has tge skatibgcand thexagukity tools to becobe a greater threat on attack if he can work on better puck control..If not at keast you are certain he can shut down opposition attackerscin theirctracks..If he can improvecenough offensively to scorevmore with goals and assists and become a complete 2 way dman,then he coukd be tge best Dman fron this class. THIS is what I saw in his at World Jrs and at the WHC..He already showed how good and advanced hecis drfebsiveky..but Ivsaw indications he coukd become more than justcaxgreatcshutdownSTAH Dman..but be a great 2way all roubd dman too .
I do not know he getsxto such a ceiling offensively.. ifhe does,whoever drafts him may be getting the cream of this exceptional dman crop.

I think hevis very close to playing NHL caliber top D,already..and that usually takes several years afterxaxdraft for most even top picked junior draftable dmen..

Nextseason he will pkay I Sweden in theSHL ...not just in the Norwegian pro league.Maybe they work a bit morectodevelop hos offebsive skills to round out the rest of his game.

But the pint is.. his NHL coach is going to Trust him and love his defending...hevis a more physical Hjalmasson ...with a better shot..I can smell greatness exuding fron hom fron what I saw.

I cannot say this about any of thevotger topbtier dmen..Eveb 2 way Lev..LEV still makes read errors...His D instincts not as goid inmy opinion.The shot may be equal but Kev uses it more.. but this may be just 1st Po opportunity. I woukd love to see what Solberg can do if given 1st Op role ..

Both can PK..

Of course LeV is a RD and SOLBERG a LD ...so if Hawjs take LEV at #2 ,they are not takibg another Dman,any side, at #18.

If they take Demidov or Lindstrom at #2,then SOLBERG has got tonbevin the conversation as BOA at #18...ifvhecstill is there.

I was wowed what I saw of Solberg playing for weak Norway teams he just stood out and only mond I thought he just might be the best ofcalk the dmen I have seen of that top tier.

I also was amazed at his consistency shiftvtovshoft over all 3vperiodscof games. This guy us a stud...competent,reliable,a wall ..and you have to fear his thunderous hitting.
You put this kid with moretalent than he pkays with for Norway.. and his ceiling could be greatness..

Coaches will love him..

You want hom on YOUR team.

All of this just from my eye test watching hom on t.v...I am no pro scout but they will be branded as stupid if they let this kid pass down to a team drafting after them at #18 if he still is on the board..

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
So, I guess it boils down to desire and character... a big part of being an NHL player. Hopefully, there's no doubt at this point for any teen rated in the top 5 or so.
Demidov is not a "perimeter player" at all. He drives the middle and throws himself in the mix as a regular part of his game. He physically engages along the wall with determination to beat the other guy and retrieve the puck. He also backchecks and plays in the d-zone. Granted - all the games I've seen him play in 2023/24 (about 15'ish) has been MHL games - except one. I saw an "All Shifts" youtube on one of the KHL games he played early in the season. In typical SKA treatment of rookies he didn't play a lot - maybe 8 minutes total - but he played the same - relentless motor and physical engagement. He didn't look overwhelmed at all.

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
Scout 13: Best: Levshunov. The physical tools are immense. Size, skating, skill, right shot, can run a PP and will develop a better two-way game at the next level as his defensive details become more of a focus. John Carlson comp.
I haven't seen the Carlson comp before

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Tampa literally did that, especially since Stamkos didn't play that 1 year. Gonna count him for his whopping 1 game? Or the 3rd liners like Goodrow? It can be done, and platstyle of guys like Point matter more than height
oh, sorry, it looks like you've forgotten that those two cups didn't count.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Can we be grateful for a moment.

Two top 5 tank picks for:
Hawks: Bedard Lev/Demi
Ducks: Carlsson Lev/Silayev
Sharks: Smith Celebrini
Jackets: Fantilli Silayev/Demi/Lev
Canadiens: Reinbacher/ Lidstrom/Sennecke

Poor Canadiens. #5 in a four person draft and then #5 again in a 3 player draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad