Who should the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft?

Who do the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
But I'm not sure if people are ignorant or just forgetting how good Datsyuk was. If Demidov was anywhere near close to him defensively he's not a winger that can play center he's the consensus first overall pick.
I think it's ridiculous too, don't get me wrong. Datsyuk is a unicorn.

This is what I'm reading though.

I wonder how much of Demidov not being in the conversation for 1OA is because he's in Russia and only a team's Russian scouts can scout him rn.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
"Ian Mitchell was all Darrell May and he deserves all the credit for it. That erases any blemishes since Ian Mitchell is generational.

Kelley 100% deserves another chance to prove he's still got it. But if he shits the bed during this year's draft, he has to go. Last year was just unacceptable. Vlasic over Robinson..."

Kevin Musto, Jun 18, 2020ReportBookmark
Who the hell is Robinson? I think he means Robertson, but still largely a joke.

Anyone remember Ethan Keppen and Peter Reynolds?

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I think it's ridiculous too, don't get me wrong. Datsyuk is a unicorn.

This is what I'm reading though.

I wonder how much of Demidov not being in the conversation for 1OA is because he's in Russia and only a team's Russian scouts can scout him rn.
He's got Datsyuk's hands and creativity.

That's where the comparison starts and stops. Datsyuk is one of the best all around hockey players to ever lace em up.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Is this fancy stats or simply based on how much they scored in their league?

I was over the moon and pretty equal on Michkov-Bedard all last season & offseason. But I'm still at Demidov where I was with Mikchov in 2022. I would want to see it vs pros in the KHL. I'm not against drafting Demidov I'm just not into the score based or many highlight based plays when it's visible clear the mhl talent was so poor.
its based on NHLe I believe which is a metric that attemps to convert production into an NHL equivalent and then it probably has some machine learning model to find comparables given age, league, production etc

the comps people toss out are always 99th percentile but at least the data seems to suggest Demidov is an elite blue chip forward prospect...I have absolutely nothing to base it on but for whatever reason I just watched that post lottery interview with KD and thought they have their board set already and its Celebrini and Demidov 1a/1b and they just wanted one of the two to pair with Bedard up front given what they have in the pipeline...again nothing to base it on but the reaction to not caring about losing out on Celebrini much, or at least it appeared that way, smiling when espn panned to him after they were secured in top 2 etc

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Saying someone has the potential to be Datsyuk or Chara is equally as outlandish in my book. Two of the most unique players of the last 30 years.
The difference is that Silayev actually is a unique prospect.

The last prospect of his ilk was Hedman.

There's a Demidov in every draft class.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Hossa was a two way monster. I haven’t seen anyone describe Demidov as such.
Hossa didn't start that way. I remember the scouting reports when he was drafting stating he wouldn't recognize his own goalie in a line-up. (I miss Hoss!) I have heard Demidov described as "relentless", which is a good characteristic for defensive presence.

The think that I thought was interesting for Demidov is that I heard he's been in the MHL from 15, and even as a 15 YO was putting up a PPG. This is a guy who "thinks" the game at an incredibly high level, and that tends to translate even if some of the moves that he pulls off won't work at the NHL level. I trust the guys with the hockey IQ a lot more than the early developing physical guys who dominate based on getting their man-strength before everyone else (aka - Zach Bogosian).

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
The difference is that Silayev actually is a unique prospect.

The last prospect of his ilk was Hedman.

There's a Demidov in every draft class.
I hear what you're saying with regard to the size/skating/skill combo for Silayev. That is a really tempting combo that you almost never see. (Even Chara didn't have that skating smoothness, but he had the freakish farmer strength that made him a unicorn without the skating/offense.)

Reactions: Kevin Musto

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
But I'm not sure if people are ignorant or just forgetting how good Datsyuk was. If Demidov was anywhere near close to him defensively he's not a winger that can play center he's the consensus first overall pick.

yeah, hyperbole tends to reign supreme at this time of year. Demidov isn't mailing it in on D. If the projection is Datsyuk-lite, he's a flippin' no-brainer at 2

Reactions: belfour30

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Hossa didn't start that way. I remember the scouting reports when he was drafting stating he wouldn't recognize his own goalie in a line-up. (I miss Hoss!) I have heard Demidov described as "relentless", which is a good characteristic for defensive presence.

The think that I thought was interesting for Demidov is that I heard he's been in the MHL from 15, and even as a 15 YO was putting up a PPG. This is a guy who "thinks" the game at an incredibly high level, and that tends to translate even if some of the moves that he pulls off won't work at the NHL level. I trust the guys with the hockey IQ a lot more than the early developing physical guys who dominate based on getting their man-strength before everyone else (aka - Zach Bogosian).
I agree about valuing the hockey IQ. Separately, and this isn’t directed at you, I find limited value in people constantly taking every prospect and projecting their upside comps to the best players of all time. It tells us nothing about the prospects or their most probable outcomes.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I agree about valuing the hockey IQ. Separately, and this isn’t directed at you, I find limited value in people constantly taking every prospect and projecting their upside comps to the best players of all time. It tells us nothing about the prospects or their most probable outcomes.
Strongly agree with the bolded. I just feel like it's disrespectful to the original player as well, because in my life there's only been 1 Datsyuk (or Chara). The challenge is that people can take one characteristic that players have in common (Russian and hockey IQ for Datsyuk, or height for Chara) and then every player who is similar in that regard is supposed to be HOF V2.0.

I understand what people are trying to do with those comparison in that the intention is "style" of player and not a direct projection.

Reactions: hawksrule

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
dude, you're the Captain of Outlandish Claims.

Strome, Mitchell, Vlasic, etc.
Not trying to be rude, but does Musto even have any notable hits? Kind of seems like he's just always wrong, lol. You could throw a dart at the draft board and likely have a better track record.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
He's got Datsyuk's hands and creativity.

That's where the comparison starts and stops. Datsyuk is one of the best all around hockey players to ever lace em up.
Not even Kane had Datsyuk's hands. I never watched Kovalev play sadly but Datsyuk was far and away the most talented with dekes and puck control. Kane is a very close second IMHO

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Not trying to be rude, but does Musto even have any notable hits? Kind of seems like he's just always wrong, lol. You could throw a dart at the draft board and likely have a better track record.
World's highest ranking of Quinn Hughes

Dawson Mercer > Lukas Reichel

Believing in the great Dylan Strome when everyone else labelled him a certified bust that would never have a long term NHL career

Slafkovsky 1st overall in December 2021 when everyone else had him outside the top 5

Too early for most rankings to have hit or missed though

Reactions: WarriorofTime

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
World's highest ranking of Quinn Hughes

Dawson Mercer > Lukas Reichel

Believing in the great Dylan Strome when everyone else labelled him a certified bust that would never have a long term NHL career

Slafkovsky 1st overall in December 2021 when everyone else had him outside the top 5

Too early for most rankings to have hit or missed though
33 point, -26 on a non-Blackhawks team Dawson Mercer being on your greatest hits is pretty meh

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Levshunov. His progression the past few years has been remarkable. Hawks took a player with a similar progression in Korchinski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad