Who should Detroit avoid at 4th ?

Who should Detroit NOT draft at #4 overall ?

• RW - Lucas Raymond

Votes: 42 13.0%
  • LW - Alexander Holtz

Votes: 105 32.5%
  • C - Marco Rossi

Votes: 54 16.7%
  • C - Anton Lundell

Votes: 146 45.2%
  • C/LW - Cole Perfetti

Votes: 55 17.0%
  • RD - Jamie Drysdale

Votes: 44 13.6%
  • LD - Jake Sanderson

Votes: 124 38.4%
  • G - Jaroslav Askarov

Votes: 162 50.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
While the Wings are in the garbage period I’ve been watching ALL the Lightning games and Kucherov isn’t the best skater. At the same age Kuch was probably similar to Perfetti
I don't watch enough lightning games to judge his skating now, but in his draft year, Kuch was an instant breakaway at the U18s. The guy could burn

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
And at least one of Cholo, McIsaac and Johansson should take the other top 4 spot.
Yep! All of whom would be natural lefties and would be paired with either Mo or Hronek. Having a good blueline is one of the keys to succeeding both in the regular season and in the post-season. I think having two smooth skating defensive forces is better than one, but we also will need to score points too. It's a really borderline sorta situation.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I feel like using a pick to draft a dman in this draft is a waste and redundant. Because I am 99% sure DRWs will be drafting a dman next draft. So 3 dman in 3 years? Is there enough room? Trade Hronek? Trade Mcisaac? Trade Seider???

I'd rather take the goalie, I guess. Atleast we need to fill that position.

Last edited:
Reactions: wingerdinger

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
The votes for Lundell and Askarov are telling me y'all arent watching :laugh:

Hoping for Rossi, but expecting Perfetti or Raymond.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I’d like to hear how Holtz complements what this team has better, if you think he is the superior player.

What does Laine give you in games he doesn’t score? Nothing. We don’t need that. We need a guy that drives possession and creates chances every night, whether they hit the box score or not.

I don’t think Holtz is that guy. It was either Prashanth Iyer or Scouch, but they tracked CF% for Holtz and Raymond, and Raymond’s was way better.
Agreed. I think Holtz stands a very good chance of scoring 30 goals...but doesn't drive possession or elevate his teammates the way I'd prefer from #4 overall.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands

People vote for Askarov because is a still a gamble at 4 and goalkeeper development is weird and often random. You don't draft a goalie 4th overall, period. I rather have us sign a good goalkeeper UFA then gamble on Askarov.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
People vote for Askarov because is a still a gamble at 4 and goalkeeper development is weird and often random. You don't draft a goalie 4th overall, period. I rather have us sign a good goalkeeper UFA then gamble on Askarov.
My bad, I misread the question!

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Kuch isn’t as good as people think. He’s definitely more of a playmaker then a goal scorer. The dude is like Datsyuk in a way. Shoot the DAMN puck
Kucherov is both a goal scorer and playmaker. Wish most of the wings would consistently score 30 to 40 goals per season like Kucherov does the kids a stud and this coming from a person that pretty much watches him on a nightly basis.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
What we should avoid it is trade up. I hate to see losing any second round picks, I'd rather get more of those. Raymond kind of big red flag., because his stick is falling and last year in the end of the season he got demoted to the bottom 6 and then to the juniors

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I found it interesting on Custance's podcast this week, Scott Wheeler reigning President of the Marco Rossi scouting fanclub said he thinks Detroit should pass on him because he isn't the homerun swing either Perfetti or Raymond are. That Detroit needs an offensive player of the highest caliber and Marco Rossi is not that... That's a guy that has him at #3 on his board I believe.

Last edited:

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I found it interesting on Custance's podcast this week, Scott Wheeler reigning President of the Marco Rossi scouting fanclub said he thinks Detroit should pass on him because he isn't the homerun swing either Perfetti or Raymond are. That Detroit needs an offensive player of the highest caliber and Marco Rossi is not that... That's a guy that has him at #3 on his board I believe.
Raymond and Perfetti are also the biggest boom/bust players in the draft. Raymond had some consistency issues beyond his lack of play time that could underscore other issues, and Perfetti has some athletic concerns that give me pause. I'm starting to lean move towards Perfetti, if only because I think his absolute offensive ceiling is higher, as well as the potential (however unlikely) of being a Center. I'm fairly confident he will end up on the Wing in the NHL, but he has more potential of working out as a Center than Raymond does. Although I do think Raymond's defensive game is fairly underrated and he should be a contributor on both ends. Finally, both players are several years away from the NHL, so neither of them could provide the instant impact a Lafrienere, Stutzle or Rossi could.

Reactions: lilidk

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Kucherov is both a goal scorer and playmaker. Wish most of the wings would consistently score 30 to 40 goals per season like Kucherov does the kids a stud and this coming from a person that pretty much watches him on a nightly basis.
Of course Kuch is a goal scorer but he’s definitely a pass first player. The amount of plays that die on his stick in the offensive zone is ridiculous.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
24th in shots.
He shoots quite a bit. on pace for 260 shots.

In a lot of ways, Kucherov reminds me of Slava Kozlov.. but again, a better one-timer.

Yeah Kucherov is a well rounded offensive threat, but saying hes a playmaker but not a goal scorer is a bit of a lie. Over the last 4 seasons he 14th in shots and over 82 games has paced for 41 goals. He is absolutely a goal scorer. Hes just also a really good play maker, its why hes one of the best players in the league, hes a true dual threat.

Thats what you hope Perfetti can be. Hes that style of dual threat

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Oh man, Lundell is an excellent prospect. He has such a well rounded game, an underrated shot and an excellent ability to win puck battles. There’s lots to to like there And he definitely fits the Yzerman mold of a highly competitive player that’s difficult to play against. I could see him having a Kopitar-lite kind of impact.

It won’t happen but somehow trading down with Jersey and walking away with Holtz/Askarov/Sanderson + Lundell would be really exciting.

Reactions: Winger98

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
At this point I've come to terms with us getting any of Drysdale, Perfetti, Raymond and Rossi. Still can't help but think it feels a bit like last year, a good crop of players in that range but Yzerman might go off the board.

I don't even know who I want at this point.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Personally, I'm not persuaded by the argument of "don't take a defenseman at 4OA because we took one last year and we'll probably take one next year."

First- you never really know what position you'll take in a future draft. Everyone thought we'd go D in '18, took Zadina. Everyone thought we'd go forward in '19, took Seider. Next year looks like a great defensive class, but for all we know someone like Raty emerges Raty the 1OA, we win the lottery and take a center. You just don't know this far out.

Second, injuries and busts happen. The Wings have one good young defensemen on the roster (Hronek) and very likely have another in the AHL (Seider). It's way too early to be penciling in guys like McIsaac/Johanssen/Cholowski into the lineup. The Wings could absolutely use a couple more blue chips prospect on the blue line.

I have no issues drafting back to back to back defensemen if Yzerman thinks they're the best available. If everyone develops well, you can either leverage valuable pieces (young defensemen) in trades to bolster scoring, or watch a lineup of something like

Sanderson/Drysdale- Seider

Power/Hughes- Hronek

McIsaac/Dekeyser- Lindstrom

After watching such a terrible blue line for the last ten years, I don't think anyone of us could hate that.

Reactions: ShippinItDaily

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I'm definitely no scout but Cole Perferriti (however it's spelled) and Sanderson are who I'm coming around to wanting to draft. So those not named either are my picks to avoid.

Reactions: Tetsuo

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Some interesting voting results.

People like mostly avoid Holtz, Lundell, Askarov and Sanderson at #4.

On the other topic, people want mostly Raymond, Drysdale and Rossi. Raymond and Drysdale together was already over 50% of votes and adding Rossi makes it ~70%.

So majority in here will be disappointed, if we draft Perfetti.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad