Who might be moving to Glens Falls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Utica's attendance isn't that low. The building only seats just over 5000 and they are drawing 3350 per game including a number of weekend sellouts.

The full capacity of the Utica Aud is currently 3,815 and the average attendance right now is 3,350. Phase 2 of the Aud renovations is supposed to occur this off season and will include 8 suites which will add to the capacity somewhat.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
The full capacity of the Utica Aud is currently 3,815 and the average attendance right now is 3,350. Phase 2 of the Aud renovations is supposed to occur this off season and will include 8 suites which will add to the capacity somewhat.

How are they going to even get 8 suites in? Hang them from the ceiling?

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
None of the teams in the west are viable candidates to move.

Abbotsford - No way Calgary leaves the cash cow.

Charlotte - The owner bought Albany specifically to move them. Super close ties to the Hurricanes. No arena issues.

Oklahoma City - Sweetheart deal for the Oilers. The Oilers would have to get a better deal and pay to break the agreement in OKC. As cheap as they are (leaving their franchise dormant because it cost less) I doubt they will be looking.

San Antonio - Owned by the Spurs. Good attendance and fills dates at the arena.

Texas - The Dallas Stars bought the old Iowa franchise specifically to move them to Texas. The Stars built the arena near Austin for the team. Good success at box office and on ice. No way they gonna move to a place that places their prospects so far from where they play 75% of their games.

So, why not propose some teams that actually may move? Why didn't you mention any Eastern Conference teams?

Let's take a look:

Springfield - consistently low attendance. Owner threatening moving, etc., major shakeup in upper management this year.

Worcester - consistently low attendance. lost team once before

Utica - low attendance this year.

Portland - Consistently low attendance the past several years

Albany - see all the previous attendance comments

As an FYI, 7 of the top 10 attendance teams are in the WEST!!!!

7 of the bottom 10 teams in attendance are in the EAST!!!

Utica attendance low? Better then most expected for an arena which seats roughly 3800. Place is packed every weekend with near sellouts. In fact their Utica College DIII (yes D3 not D1) just about sells out every game at same arena.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Utica attendance low? Better then most expected for an arena which seats roughly 3800. Place is packed every weekend with near sellouts. In fact their Utica College DIII (yes D3 not D1) just about sells out every game at same arena.

3k is still low. compare that to Hershey or Chicago or the top teams.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Hawk,

Comets have 8 sellouts and 3 consecutive. Capacity at nearly 90% and increasing. Attendance would even be higher, I believe, if and when we move to the east and play Bingo, Syracuse, Glens falls (assuming they get another team), Albany and continued games with Rochester. Hershey, SWB, Springfield, Worcester, Bridgeport and Providence. All bussed to in less than 4.5 hours. Despite the Canucks wishes, my guess is most Utica fans have no desire to see Abbottsford 6 times a years or the the team to make 3 cross country trips a season out there.

The Comets aren't going anyplace.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
3k is still low. compare that to Hershey or Chicago or the top teams.

Most of the western teams play in much larger buildings in much larger markets.

Hershey / Harrisburg is almost an anomaly in the East. Attendance is really unbelievable no matter which way you cut it.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Most of the western teams play in much larger buildings in much larger markets.

Hershey / Harrisburg is almost an anomaly in the East. Attendance is really unbelievable no matter which way you cut it.

Please, the eat teams made a choice where to play and teams like Hartford, Manchester, WBS, Hershey, Bridgeport, Providence, Norfolk, and Worcester all play ate arenas that seat over 8k for hockey.....

Still low, no matter how you cut it. IF they played in a 1000 seat arena and sold out every night, is that better than playing in a 10,000 seat arena an putting 6,000 people in every night? nope.

To me, any of the bottom 10 teams in attendance, of which 8 are eastern conference teams, seem to be the most likely candidates to move, especially if it is to an arena that holds more people.

Last edited:

eggy2486

Hitman #6
Jun 9, 2011
Eastern CT
I don't see teams moving just because of low attendance, the Glens Falls arena only seats about 4000, so teams currently at the 3000 attendance mark will still be around that. The teams in the running for relocating in my mind are the ones who would benefit from a better lease deal, I could see Hartford moving - they play in a former NHL arena and rarely draw more than 4000 anyway. The other teams in New England at least play in arenas built for minor league hockey. Portland could be a candidate if they still have arena issues, but I would think Lewiston would benefit from bailing them out, like they did this year.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
I don't see teams moving just because of low attendance, the Glens Falls arena only seats about 4000, so teams currently at the 3000 attendance mark will still be around that. The teams in the running for relocating in my mind are the ones who would benefit from a better lease deal, I could see Hartford moving - they play in a former NHL arena and rarely draw more than 4000 anyway. The other teams in New England at least play in arenas built for minor league hockey. Portland could be a candidate if they still have arena issues, but I would think Lewiston would benefit from bailing them out, like they did this year.

Portland is all sorted out. They're going back to the CCCC next season.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

That's why Albany always benefits. Albany's position from NYC/NJ/Boston/Montreal or basically at the crossroads of two major interstates and the fact the Pepsi Arena is able to provide teams with lease offers they can't refuse is a good thing for hockey fans in Upstate NY.

Thunder God

Mar 12, 2007
ThunderDome
You guys know there was 2 teams who was intrested in the GFCC and 1 Team said no today and the other team will say Yes! Let's keep AHL Hockey in Glens Falls so who is with me on this

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
Pretty sure it was Springfield that was being referenced in the GF article. At this point I'm budgeting on about $1000+ extra in my pocket next AHL season, who knows maybe more if Albany moves too. Team store yesterday was pretty empty of product last night. Plenty of customers in it too.

Just for clarification the GFCC is built into a steep hill and ground level in the front goes right to the concourse. All the seats and ice is below what's shown in that picture.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
None of the teams in the west are viable candidates to move.

Abbotsford - No way Calgary leaves the cash cow.

Charlotte - The owner bought Albany specifically to move them. Super close ties to the Hurricanes. No arena issues.

Oklahoma City - Sweetheart deal for the Oilers. The Oilers would have to get a better deal and pay to break the agreement in OKC. As cheap as they are (leaving their franchise dormant because it cost less) I doubt they will be looking.

San Antonio - Owned by the Spurs. Good attendance and fills dates at the arena.

Texas - The Dallas Stars bought the old Iowa franchise specifically to move them to Texas. The Stars built the arena near Austin for the team. Good success at box office and on ice. No way they gonna move to a place that places their prospects so far from where they play 75% of their games.

So, why not propose some teams that actually may move? Why didn't you mention any Eastern Conference teams?

Let's take a look:

Springfield - consistently low attendance. Owner threatening moving, etc., major shakeup in upper management this year.

Worcester - consistently low attendance. lost team once before

Utica - low attendance this year.

Portland - Consistently low attendance the past several years

Albany - see all the previous attendance comments

As an FYI, 7 of the top 10 attendance teams are in the WEST!!!!

7 of the bottom 10 teams in attendance are in the EAST!!!
It cost a lot less money to have a team in the east. The biggest issues in the west are a lot of travel, which results in less practice time to develop your young talent. Look at utica, averaging 3300 or so a game and they are making money. With the travel in the west they need double that to pay those travel expenses.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I haven't seen an architectural drawing but it is supposed to be an addition built on the outside and then the wall above the current seats will be cut into exposing the addition.
The suites will be on the left side as you face the stage end. There is a old sound booth there now. As stated before
A new entrance is being built on that side as the new parking lot is on the side. Suites will actually be outside the building, blocks between the pillars that support the roof will be removed. They will actually loose some seats.anotheraddition is going on the current parking lot side for additional rest rooms and space.

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
No busting on gfcc , it's a great place to watch hockey!
And go comets , went to your game against Rockford when the Sens were away, place looks great!

Yes it is cheaper to do biz on the east.
Most Sens road games are within 4 hours from Bing.
That is not true out west.
Plus most of these east buildings have very favorable lease deals.
Sens pay about 2 grand a game. Remember Houston was paying 25 grand last year .

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
And go comets , went to your game against Rockford when the Sens were away, place looks great!

Milwaukee is about 90 minutes from Chicago and Rockford. That covers 12 road games. Peoria (last season) is (was) 3.5 hours away, another 5 or 6 road games. Grand Rapids is 4 hours away. Iowa is 5.5 hours away, the last divisional team.

The arena owner in Houston was trying to drive the Aeros out. He was successful.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
It cost a lot less money to have a team in the east. The biggest issues in the west are a lot of travel, which results in less practice time to develop your young talent. Look at utica, averaging 3300 or so a game and they are making money. With the travel in the west they need double that to pay those travel expenses.

Do you have any proof for any of these claims, such as Utica is making money and it costs less to have a team in the east?

Also, what do you think travel is like in the NHL? It sure as heck is NOT bus rides everywhere. I would argue being in the west better prepares the players for the rigors (and boredom) of travel.

Again, link to your "favorable leases" versus the west.

Milwaukee is about 90 minutes from Chicago and Rockford. That covers 12 road games. Peoria (last season) is (was) 3.5 hours away, another 5 or 6 road games. Grand Rapids is 4 hours away. Iowa is 5.5 hours away, the last divisional team.

The arena owner in Houston was trying to drive the Aeros out. He was successful.

And you forgot Lake Erie which is also about 6 hours from Chicago by driving but a whopping 60 minutes by plane and there are MANY MANY flights per day. 1 hour flight easier than 4 hour bus ride each way.

And bus rides have a much higher risk of accident than plane rides.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
More news on this story developing from the greater Albany area. I am also hearing Glens Falls was trying lure possibly Albany but Albany by far has the better arena and the attendance numbers posted this season in Adirondack are bolstered more or less by over 17,000 fans which attended two games down in Philly's arena. The Devils are speculated to either extend their deal with Albany or possibly move their AHL operation to Trenton in anticipation of the Phantoms nearby. This could possibly be a double loss of the AHL for not only the Adirondack Civic Center but Albany as well. If Adirondack doesn't want the ECHL I am sure Albany would take it over their nice arena going dark. Especially since the ECHL does well with Orlando, Cincinnati, Ft. Wayne, and next season Indianapolis. These are all much bigger cities then Albany so let alone Glens Falls. They might want to shed their elitist attitudes.

http://berkshires.twcnews.com/conte...replacement-in-sight-for-adirondack-phantoms/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad