Who is the best Russian prospect of all time

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
Fedorov, Mogilny, Bure, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin. There were several others hyped up as super prospects that ended up as disappointments. I recall Tverdovsky specifically but I never saw the basis for it at the time.
When i meant by best is stats and skill wise. I like to think that ovi is the best russian prospect, I am a big Ovi fan but matvei michkov does hold the record for highest ppg in the khl be a draft eligible player which was 0.67 if u include his 3 games where he had almost no ice time ( 20 points 30 games) and I think 0.72 if u don’t (20 pouts 27 games). While ovi had a 0.45 (24 points 53 games). But I do know that michkov did it in the khl and ovi did it in the RSL. I don’t if there is a difference between the two leagues. Also the RSL is the predecessor of the KHL. Ovi also has the really good 2001-2002 WJC-18 run (14 goals 4 assist 8 games) but michkov also had a good WJC-18 run (12 goals 12 goals 4 assist 7 games). Those where the only leagues/tournament they both played in as far as i can tell and once again I don’t if there is a difference between the KHL and RSL but i do know the RSL is the predecessor of the KHL. So who is a better prospect ovi or michkov let me know what you think.

Here are some of the best Russian prospects strictly in their draft season.

2020-Now: Matvei Michkov: insane production everywhere he has been. Just a sensational talent with a ton of hype surrounding him.

2015-2019: Andrei Svechnikov: The hype surrounding Andrei was immense. He came into the USHL was amazing for a rookie and then went on to get 40 goals in 44 games with the Barrie Colts.

2010-2014: Vladimir Tarasenko: The Russian factor made Tarasenko fall to 16. Truly, a top 5 talent in the draft and had the production to back it up.

2005-2009: Nikita Filatov: A dynamic offensive player that could’ve had an amazing NHL career. He had a tom of hype, but was ultimately not able to produce at the NHL level.

2000-2004: Alex Ovechkin: What an incredible 4 year span for Russian prospects. Clearly, the Russian factor was not a factor because Ilya Kovalchuk (Who’s hype rivaled Ovie’s), Alex Semin, Nikolai Zherdev, Evgeni Malkin, and several other Russian were taken very high in the draft. But, none of them compare to Ovie in terms of hype.
When i meant by best is stats and skill wise. I like to think that ovi is the best russian prospect, I am a big Ovi fan but matvei michkov does hold the record for highest ppg in the khl be a draft eligible player which was 0.67 if u include his 3 games where he had almost no ice time ( 20 points 30 games) and I think 0.72 if u don’t (20 pouts 27 games). While ovi had a 0.45 (24 points 53 games). But I do know that michkov did it in the khl and ovi did it in the RSL. I don’t if there is a difference between the two leagues. Also the RSL is the predecessor of the KHL. Ovi also has the really good 2001-2002 WJC-18 run (14 goals 4 assist 8 games) but michkov also had a good WJC-18 run (12 goals 12 goals 4 assist 7 games). Those where the only leagues/tournament they both played in as far as i can tell and once again I don’t if there is a difference between the KHL and RSL but i do know the RSL is the predecessor of the KHL. So who is a better prospect ovi or michkov let me know what you think.

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
Teams were game planning to get OV 2 years in advance.

OV not close.
state wise tho.

I like to think that ovi is the best russian prospect, I am a big Ovi fan but matvei michkov does hold the record for highest ppg in the khl be a draft eligible player which was 0.67 if u include his 3 games where he had almost no ice time ( 20 points 30 games) and I think 0.72 if u don’t (20 pouts 27 games). While ovi had a 0.45 (24 points 53 games). But I do know that michkov did it in the khl and ovi did it in the RSL. I don’t if there is a difference between the two leagues. Also the RSL is the predecessor of the KHL. Ovi also has the really good 2001-2002 WJC-18 run (14 goals 4 assist 8 games) but michkov also had a good WJC-18 run (12 goals 12 goals 4 assist 7 games). Those where the only leagues/tournament they both played in as far as i can tell and once again I don’t if there is a difference between the KHL and RSL but i do know the RSL is the predecessor of the KHL. So who is a better prospect ovi or michkov let me know what you think.

also is there a difference between KHL and RSL no one has yet to answer that.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Ovechkin was heralded as a franchise #1 overall for a few years, so I'd opt for him.

Kovalchuk came on a bit later, but I'd argue he was probably regarded in a similar tier as Ovi when drafted. He easily surpassed Spezza as #1 overall, and Spezza had been anointed that spot for a few years. Obviously Ovechkin proved better long-term, but that was mostly due to his longevity. Malkin was close, but I'd put him behind Kovalchuk in terms of upside when drafted.

Going back further, Pavel Bure was definitely seen as an incredible prospect, but this was before Russian's could be counted on to come over, as the Wall was just coming down. But in international tourneys, people had spoken about him for years. At the same time, Mogilny and Fedorov were also on the same junior teams, so I'd say that trio is arguably regarded as the best trio of prospects to come along from the same country at the same time (although I'm sure Canada has a few trios they could point to).

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Besides Ovie, Kovalchuk and Malkin in modern times i do think Kuznetsov gets overlooked a bit too much.

Kuz and Vasi were on a whole other level than other greats at the same age and actually 1-3 years older.
I mean it becomes very clear because Tarasenko was very good too and the gold winning roster had Panarin and Orlov too, but Kuz was as mentioned something special.

His last year Kucherov, Granlund, Stone, Scheifele, Huberdeau, young Barkov and Zibanejad participated as well. But Kuz was always the player that looked elegant and spectacular even for a finn lol. He was really elegant, a fluid skater and just great overall skill.

Last edited:

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I'd enjoy some insight from posters who remember if Bure was as hyped and considered as big of a prospect as his statline would suppose.

As for post-Soviet prospects, it's Ovechkin and it was not close. He had the prodigious stats of Michkov, only big, fast, physical, defensively reponsible (yes yes), with a star personality and great international performances. No question marks at all. People were saying that Malkin had superstar potential, and Ovechkin was considered clearly better. Had he been born a week earlier, he would be #1 pick in the great 2003 draft just due to his resume by that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad