Who is more dominant in their sport: Ohtani, McDavid or Mahomes?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is more dominant in their sport?

• Total voters

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
It is just one game. Sam Gagner had an 8 point night one time. When you go on his whole season, it looks quite normal when stacking against greatest seasons of all time. He has ~.300 OBP compared to like bonds who had ~.600 in his best seasons. He isn't going to break RBI records or home run records. I would say those are the most important stats for evaluating a player objectively.

He ain't gonna break any home run records because he came over late.

He's the most dominant athlete ever. No one has done what he's done.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Is this poll about who has won the most championships?
The greatest define themselves by championships. You might not, but they do. That’s how they compare themselves to the other greats in their sports. McDavid has no championships. Imo he ranks himself lower than the other greats who have led their clubs to championships. Same for Ohtani and all the greats.
The greats are the best. They separate Themselves into tiers by championships. That’s how they think.

Secretariat of baseball.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The greatest define themselves by championships. You might not, but they do. That’s how they compare themselves to the other greats in their sports. McDavid has no championships. Imo he ranks himself lower than the other greats who have led their clubs to championships. Same for Ohtani and all the greats.
The greats are the best. They separate Themselves into tiers by championships. That’s how they think.

Secretariat of baseball.
He literally does it all. He can be your #1 ace, the best hitter in the league, and all while swiping 50 bases. Insane.

The one knock is that he doesn't play the field. But I bet he could, just makes sense to keep him out of harms way at DH.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Secretariat of baseball.
That would be an extremely reductive and shallow argument if this discussion was with regards to players in the same sport. When discussing players in different sports, I'd wager it's wilfully ignorant.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Blows my f***ing mind Mahomes is 3rd in this poll.

NFL QB is by far the hardest position in all of pro sports. At least in team pro sports. On every given down you have nearly 1100lbs of lineman trying to put you down. You have to read a defense in less time than it takes to flush a toilet. Then you have to have the athleticism to actually hit your moving target with this ball accurately from sometimes 50-60yds away. This guy makes it look like he's dicking around at the park with his buddies. He's actually won the whole thing with his team three times now which is the penultimate goal of participating.

I don't even like the guy all that much and but he clears Shohei and McD easily.

Last edited:

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
An award voted on by players never holds merit, they play too many games to follow the league in a meaningful way and just go based on their matchups with them. They are also the most likely to allow bias to affect their vote, and their vote is held to the least scrutiny.
As opposed to the so called journalists like Staples who have no clue, or that guy who voted Draisaitl for the Selke, or that Montreal jackass who left the Art Ross and Rocket winner off his Hart ballot so his local guy could win?
I'll take the players choice thanks.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Ohtani even more so now ; he’s exploded since this was initially posted . Historic season . Imagine he does this while also being a pitching ace ….just make believe stuff .

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal

NFL QB is by far the hardest position in all of pro sports. At least in team pro sports. On every given down you have nearly 11,000lbs of lineman trying to put you down. You have to read a defense in less time than it takes to flush a toilet. Then you have to have the athleticism to actually hit your moving target with this ball accurately from sometimes 50-60yds away. This guy makes it look like he's dicking around at the park with his buddies. He's actually won the whole thing with his team three times now which is the penultimate goal of participating.

I don't even like the guy all that much and but he clears Shohei and McD easily.
I agree QB is the most difficult position athletically, but playing 17 games a year followed by 1 game playoffs does not compare to NHL and MLB.

Plus QBs are a lot more protected today, which is a big advantage for him. McDavid had been playing in a 30+ team league, cap era, and lower scoring era than Gretz and Mario. Shohei is obviously all about the dual position, and many say hitting a major league pitch is actually the most difficult thing (skill) in all sports. Him winning MVP is almost automatic when hes pitching and hitting, and when hes not pitching, he'll still win as a DH! Mahomes has only won it twice in 6 years. That isnt "dominance".

Im not saying Mahomes is just lucky in the playoffs, he does bring it when it matters most, but if they played best of 7s, would he still have all those SBs?

Last edited:
Reactions: I am not exposed

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

NFL QB is by far the hardest position in all of pro sports. At least in team pro sports. On every given down you have nearly 11,000lbs of lineman trying to put you down. You have to read a defense in less time than it takes to flush a toilet. Then you have to have the athleticism to actually hit your moving target with this ball accurately from sometimes 50-60yds away. This guy makes it look like he's dicking around at the park with his buddies. He's actually won the whole thing with his team three times now which is the penultimate goal of participating.

Mahomes doesn’t even deserve to be on this poll tbh. QB is the most team-dependent position .

Also hitting a major league pitch is harder than throwing an NFL pass.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Mahomes is Michael Jordan in a sport as physically impossible as football.

Ohtani, amazing as he is, is a baseball player.

McDavid plays in a sport who’s top professional league has 10 black players.

It’s Mahomes.
Ignoring the weird shit at the end, what makes football physically impossible?

Crow

May 19, 2014
The physically devastating nature of the game relative to other sports.
At quarterback? They play once a week, protected by freaks. They play less actually because of the bye or possible byes. Hockey players play 82 games sometimes two nights in a row. Hockey is far more physically demanding to me than quarterback. The potential for injury is much higher in hockey.

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
Very surprised by the voting in this. The question was “dominant,” not “unique.” How is Ohtani, while having a great season, considered more dominant than McDavid or Mahomes?

Mahomes has the Super Bowl wins, and is leading the NFL in passing yards per game, passing TDs, and is the 2nd in QBR since he came into the league.

McDavid has led the league in scoring outright 5 times in 8 years (not counting his injured rookie season as a full). He leads the league in scoring since he played his first game, beating 2nd place by nearly 13%, despite playing fewer games. Leads the league in assist by 16%, despite playing fewer games. Leads the league in game winning goals. Just posted arguably the best post season performance ever - and almost unquestionably the best in a loss ever. Leads the league in PPG by 12% over that time.

Ohtani, while having a great season, doesn’t play in the field and isn’t pitching this season. He’s currently (as of today) in 5th in baseball in WAR, with a reasonable chance he finishes 6th with Soto right behind him, and a full 20% behind 1st (Judge). He’s unique and very good, but the other two have been FAR more dominant in their sports.

IMG_1506.jpeg

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas

He wasn’t going to anyway. Unless you prorate his 162 game average (all done over almost certainly “prime” years) for 19 fully healthy season in a row. Which is why it’s ridiculous to say he’s in this pantheon of player.

And yes, a player has done this before - not the 50/50 thing, that’s unique. But the near universal GOAT player has the top 3 WAR seasons for a position player of all time, and 6 of the top 13. And that guy was actually a pitcher for one of those seasons, too.

The only other player in baseball history with 2 of the top 15 seasons is Barry Bonds. One of those two is highly considered the most egregious steroid abused season ever. Ohtani has currently logged the 20th best WAR season for position players… of currently active players. It’s not even the same category despite its marketing uniqueness.

Edit: And just to clarify, it’s only “unique” because of the fascination with round numbers (50). Ronald Acuna Jr. had 41 HRs and 73 stolen bases last season. I don’t think it’s a hard argument to say that’s equally as impressive, as no player ever had 40+ HR and 60+ stolen bases before, either.

Last edited:

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
When you have a 7 year career that features 3 championships, 3 playoff MVPs, 2 regular season MVPs and a 4th finals appearance where you lost to the greatest player at your position of all time, otherwise you would have 4 championships and 4 playoff MVPs in 7 years… it’s tough to argue. Yes, they’re all team sports, but if there is a position that can drag a team to the promised land, it’s QB. Mahomes is getting the short end of the stick here. And I’m almost exclusively a hockey fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad