Who is Going to Watch: NBC and NHL prepare for the finals that no one saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
If Vegas wins the Cup but no one is around to watch it, will it count?

Of course it will but it should be no surprise that the NHL may be victims of their own expansion success when it comes to the Television Ratings.

NBC has the current broadcast rights that are set to expire in 2021. On average, ratings on NBC (2006 to present) are lower than Fox (1995-1999) and ABC (2004-2004). And this year may not offer much by way of a ratings prize.

While Ratings in Canada are envious, particularly when involving a Canadian team, US ratings depend on a number of factors given the size of the casual fan base. US audiences need something they can resonate with and early start times in the largest demographic areas don't hurt either.

It's of no surprise that the lowest rated finals on NBC have either included a Canadian team, a lack of star power and/or a time zone factor.

For US Networks, Lowest Rated (NBC 2006 to Now):
  • 2007 Anaheim vs Ottawa (1.6M)
  • 2006 Carolina vs Edmonton (2.9M)
  • 2012 LA vs New Jersey (3.0M)
  • 2016 Pittsburgh vs San Jose (4.0M)
It's also of no surprise that the highest rated finals have included a major US Market with a National following and favourable start times.

For US Networks (NBC), Highest rated:
  • 2013 Chicago vs Boston (5.8M)
  • 2015 Chicago vs Tampa (5.6M)
  • 2010 Chicago vs Philadelphia (5.2M)
  • 2014 LA vs NYR (5.0)
Vegas vs Tampa/Washington may be set up to be amongst the least watched finals over NBCs tenure.

None of those teams have a significant national following. Late start times are once again a factor. All 3 offer very little by way of compelling storylines.

Tampa has won before. Washington? Ovechkin maybe? Meh.

Vegas?

One side of the NHL fandom is trying to sell Vegas as a Cinderella story. A team of castoffs trying to prove something to the rest of the NHL world that cast them aside. That may be enough to get someone to tune in for a few minutes, a period or maybe even a full game. But enough to have them buying Vegas merchandize and staying up to watch their new team in a sport they casually follow?

Maybe but probably not.

Experienced fans offer a more accurate version. They recognize that the NHL came out and said they would have teams expose better players. And many suffered through their own expansion futility with a team of cast offs that just weren't good enough to carry the chips on their shoulders.

Vegas is a better team because the NHL engineered the expansion draft rules to help them become a better team. And said so before the draft. Are these fans going to watch?

Maybe but probably not.

This may be the 5th year in a row in which NBC has underperformed the rating averages of ABC and Fox. In the run up to NBC/NHL's contract expiration, this isn't a good thing for them.

Maybe they need to tweak the expansion draft rules a little more before Seattle/Quebec get on board.

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Screen-Shot-2017-03-19-at-7.44.07-PM.png

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If Vegas wins the Cup but no one is around to watch it, will it count?

Of course it will but it should be no surprise that the NHL may be victims of their own expansion success when it comes to the Television Ratings.

NBC has the current broadcast rights that are set to expire in 2021. On average, ratings on NBC (2006 to present) are lower than Fox (1995-1999) and ABC (2004-2004). And this year may not offer much by way of a ratings prize.

While Ratings in Canada are envious, particularly when involving a Canadian team, US ratings depend on a number of factors given the size of the casual fan base. US audiences need something they can resonate with and early start times in the largest demographic areas don't hurt either.

It's of no surprise that the lowest rated finals on NBC have either included a Canadian team, a lack of star power and/or a time zone factor.

For US Networks, Lowest Rated (NBC 2006 to Now):
  • 2007 Anaheim vs Ottawa (1.6M)
  • 2006 Carolina vs Edmonton (2.9M)
  • 2012 LA vs New Jersey (3.0M)
  • 2016 Pittsburgh vs San Jose (4.0M)
It's also of no surprise that the highest rated finals have included a major US Market with a National following and favourable start times.

For US Networks (NBC), Highest rated:
  • 2013 Chicago vs Boston (5.8M)
  • 2015 Chicago vs Tampa (5.6M)
  • 2010 Chicago vs Philadelphia (5.2M)
  • 2014 LA vs NYR (5.0)
Vegas vs Tampa/Washington may be set up to be amongst the least watched finals over NBCs tenure.

None of those teams have a significant national following. Late start times are once again a factor. All 3 offer very little by way of compelling storylines.

Tampa has won before. Washington? Ovechkin maybe? Meh.

Vegas?

One side of the NHL fandom is trying to sell Vegas as a Cinderella story. A team of castoffs trying to prove something to the rest of the NHL world that cast them aside. That may be enough to get someone to tune in for a few minutes, a period or maybe even a full game. But enough to have them buying Vegas merchandize and staying up to watch their new team in a sport they casually follow?

Maybe but probably not.

Experienced fans offer a more accurate version. They recognize that the NHL came out and said they would have teams expose better players. And many suffered through their own expansion futility with a team of cast offs that just weren't good enough to carry the chips on their shoulders.

Vegas is a better team because the NHL engineered the expansion draft rules to help them become a better team. And said so before the draft. Are these fans going to watch?

Maybe but probably not.

This may be the 5th year in a row in which NBC has underperformed the rating averages of ABC and Fox. In the run up to NBC/NHL's contract expiration, this isn't a good thing for them.

Maybe they need to tweak the expansion draft rules a little more before Seattle/Quebec get on board.
What storyline is sufficiently compelling for you? I'd argue Washington and Vegas have two of the most compelling.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
What storyline is sufficiently compelling for you? I'd argue Washington and Vegas have two of the most compelling.

It’s a tough one as it is whether you develop a personal connection.

I would fall into the category of not a single thing would make me miss sleep to watch this.

I don’t even remember playing Vegas this season. I watched 1 game when travelling out West to say I saw it. That’s about it for me.

Washington? Nothing there that resonates.

I’ve been to a couple of games in Tampa so maybe it would be nice for them to have success again. But again, doesn’t resonate.

To me it would probably take former players that I enjoyed watching for me to get on a bandwagon. Be it in junior hockey or with my team.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I would fall into the category of not a single thing would make me miss sleep to watch this.

I don’t even remember playing Vegas this season. I watched 1 game when travelling out West to say I saw it. That’s about it for me.

I’ve been to a couple of games in Tampa so maybe it would be nice for them to have success again. But again, doesn’t resonate.

To me it would probably take former players that I enjoyed watching for me to get on a bandwagon. Be it in junior hockey or with my team.

All of this sounds like a 'you' problem.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

So, the only storyline you'd find compelling is one where a few teams you arbitrarily like based on former players made the finals? How would that effect ratings? I'd imagine most people who could potentially watch the finals don't agree with you on which specific players fit the criteria.

In terms of broad storylines, Ovechkin is maybe the greatest goal scoring winger of all time, is starting to get pretty old by NHL standards, and is closer to the cup than he's ever been. Vegas had 500 to 1 odds to win when the season started, they have a team of guys other teams felt were the best to cast off, and everyone (myself included admittedly) thought they'd be horrendous, and here they are fighting for the cup. Those seem like broadly compelling storylines to me. TB doesn't have all that much to it for a national audience Imo, but they've been close a bunch over the years and they've earned what they've gotten.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I am sure the NHL will be fine with the short-term ratings hit to market hockey popular in Vegas for decades.

As for NBC, they know very well the decline in TV viewing in general.

May 17, 2009
Maine
Every freaking year people talk as if the rating of the SCF are going to make or break the year for NBC. call me crazy but I suspect they don't rely on big market teams in the final to make a profit.

Teams that can't draw high ratings should have to win 5 out of 7 to advance in the playoffs.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
Vegas has guaranteed my viewership more than any team's (other than my own) participation could. This offers the possibility of seeing a once-in-a-lifetime event. An expansion team challenging for the championship during its inaugural season — are you f***ing kidding me?!

Its involvement guarantees that the SCF will be on the radar of sports fans who don't consider themselves hockey fans. Plus, Vegas — by virtue of how its roster was constructed — has at least one player who was known to fans in every other NHL market. Because of that, it could be argued that among those fans who only care about their own team (and who typically don't watch the Cup finals unless their team is in it), Vegas could hold more interest than other teams.

I think the OP is seriously underestimating the level of interest in this team. Is it going to set the all-time ratings record? No. But I think rating will be relatively good.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The fellow asked me what it would take for ME to watch.

Please try to keep up

In YOUR thread lamenting the possible Stanley Cup finals matchups.

I'm sorry if one of the top 3 goal scorers of all time searching for his 1st Stanley Cup after years of disappointment doesn't "resonate" with you. Or that a team with 500-1 odds at the start of the season is 4 wins away doesn't "resonate" with you.

You aren't going to be the first person that didn't like the final matchup. You just decided to complain the loudest.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
So, the only storyline you'd find compelling is one where a few teams you arbitrarily like based on former players made the finals? How would that effect ratings? I'd imagine most people who could potentially watch the finals don't agree with you on which specific players fit the criteria.

In terms of broad storylines, Ovechkin is maybe the greatest goal scoring winger of all time, is starting to get pretty old by NHL standards, and is closer to the cup than he's ever been. Vegas had 500 to 1 odds to win when the season started, they have a team of guys other teams felt were the best to cast off, and everyone (myself included admittedly) thought they'd be horrendous, and here they are fighting for the cup. Those seem like broadly compelling storylines to me. TB doesn't have all that much to it for a national audience Imo, but they've been close a bunch over the years and they've earned what they've gotten.

Well you don’t have to focus on me.

The data clearly shows that LA vs NJ was a series fewer people connected with. For whatever personal reason they had.

But add Chicago to the mix, a ratings shot up. People connected with Chicago. Whether it was O6 nostaglia or a team of (cap circumventing) Superstars. Whatever. It was more compelling to more people and enough to overcome the time zone issue.

You can argue my personal reasons if you like but the circumstances of this final aren’t set up to break any records.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
In YOUR thread lamenting the possible Stanley Cup finals matchups.

I'm sorry if one of the top 3 goal scorers of all time searching for his 1st Stanley Cup after years of disappointment doesn't "resonate" with you. Or that a team with 500-1 odds at the start of the season is 4 wins away doesn't "resonate" with you.

You aren't going to be the first person that didn't like the final matchup. You just decided to complain the loudest.

Wow.

Ok. So you are going to watch. Congratulations.

Let us know how it turns out.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Well you don’t have to focus on me.

The data clearly shows that LA vs NJ was a series fewer people connected with. For whatever personal reason they had.

But add Chicago to the mix, a ratings shot up. People connected with Chicago. Whether it was O6 nostaglia or a team of (cap circumventing) Superstars. Whatever. It was more compelling to more people and enough to overcome the time zone issue.

You can argue my personal reasons if you like but the circumstances of this final aren’t set up to break any records.
My bad, I worded my original reply poorly. I meant, what in your eyes is a compelling storyline for a broad audience if you don't think Vegas or Washington present one?

I guess an O6 team in a big media market is part of it. Anything else?

Reactions: Drakon

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Unless any of us here are employed by NBC, I'm not sure if we should really care what the ratings are.

Sure, you could argue that good ratings are for the good of the league, but I'm pretty sure that every TV executive out there understands that smaller markets will bring in less ratings than large markets in the years that they make the finals. None of them are going to think that hockey suddenly got less popular or is on the decline. It's the overall long term trend that really matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad