Who is Going to Watch: NBC and NHL prepare for the finals that no one saw

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
My bad, I worded my original reply poorly. I meant, what in your eyes is a compelling storyline for a broad audience if you don't think Vegas or Washington present one?

I guess an O6 team in a big media market is part of it. Anything else?

For the US market, I think those are the big factors. A villain doesn’t hurt either... like Pittsburgh.

But it’s not like the Super Bowl where it is an event. And you tune in regardless.

In Canada, the factors are different. We will tune in to see Ottawa in the final. We will watch Edmonton. Mainly because of that villain or hero thing. You are either for or against. No middle ground allowed. It’s an event here... a 7 game event.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

etc etc etc there's plenty more info on the current ratings out there for those interested

I'm guessing you never bothered to actually check the ratings for the teams involved before making this post.

The best in 3 years? So of 3 years worth of data, that Eastern Conference match up was the best?

3 choices. That one was the best of the 3.

Curious as to why the NBC Public Relations department didn’t use the last decade or since they held the contract in 2006.

Nothing to see there, eh?

May 17, 2009
Maine
And many suffered through their own expansion futility with a team of cast offs that just weren't good enough to carry the chips on their shoulders.

Aren't you a Leafs fan? What do you care about expansion teams?

Reactions: Drakon

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
The best in 3 years? So of 3 years worth of data, that Eastern Conference match up was the best?

3 choices. That one was the best of the 3.
I posted two of the most recent points of data involving the teams remaining in the playoffs. You are perfectly welcome to look up historical ratings yourself and compare them to current trends. There are many threads on the subject on the BOH board or you can try to find the NHL's rather sparce ratings press releases as well as deep diving into google for local news articles.

Or, since you definitely won't do any of those things, you can take my word that the ratings will be just fine.

1967th Heaven

Aug 31, 2012
Idk I think that the Vegas story will actually draw in a lot of casual fans and non hockey fans, something that you may only get to witness once in your lifetime and want to tell people you saw

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
As a European I understand just fine that more people will watch Chicago or New York, but for the non-involved 3rd party American viewers, are we really expecting Vegas to be significantly worse than Anaheim / Carolina / Ottawa / Winnipeg / Phoenix? I wouldn't. They are an exciting team, one that brings less hometown fans to the table than the Rangers, but certainly not one that will make more hockey-interested New Yorkers turn the TV off than San Jose, right?

And as these are NBC numbers specifically, you'd certainly expect any strictly American final to do better than Anaheim -Ottawa, wouldn't you?

May 17, 2009
Maine
As a European I understand just fine that more people will watch Chicago or New York, but for the non-involved 3rd party American viewers, are we really expecting Vegas to be significantly worse than Anaheim / Carolina / Ottawa / Winnipeg / Phoenix? I wouldn't. They are an exciting team, one that brings less hometown fans to the table than the Rangers, but certainly not one that will make more hockey-interested New Yorkers turn the TV off than San Jose, right?

And as these are NBC numbers specifically, you'd certainly expect any strictly American final to do better than Anaheim -Ottawa, wouldn't you?

You are using facts and logic -- which may or may not be allowed in this thread.

Maxpower8383

May 5, 2018
Las Vegas is like the Cleveland Indians from Major League. We are seeing something that has never been done. Yet, so many think watching traditional big market teams would be much better. The sport will never grow unless you are getting new fans in different markets.

Tampa is an established market from their 2004 run, Vegas very will could be the same.

There is always the more compelling watch the same NBA finals for the 4th year in a row.

Reactions: kladorf2005

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
If Vegas wins the Cup but no one is around to watch it, will it count?

Of course it will but it should be no surprise that the NHL may be victims of their own expansion success when it comes to the Television Ratings.

NBC has the current broadcast rights that are set to expire in 2021. On average, ratings on NBC (2006 to present) are lower than Fox (1995-1999) and ABC (2004-2004). And this year may not offer much by way of a ratings prize.

While Ratings in Canada are envious, particularly when involving a Canadian team, US ratings depend on a number of factors given the size of the casual fan base. US audiences need something they can resonate with and early start times in the largest demographic areas don't hurt either.

It's of no surprise that the lowest rated finals on NBC have either included a Canadian team, a lack of star power and/or a time zone factor.

For US Networks, Lowest Rated (NBC 2006 to Now):
  • 2007 Anaheim vs Ottawa (1.6M)
  • 2006 Carolina vs Edmonton (2.9M)
  • 2012 LA vs New Jersey (3.0M)
  • 2016 Pittsburgh vs San Jose (4.0M)
It's also of no surprise that the highest rated finals have included a major US Market with a National following and favourable start times.

For US Networks (NBC), Highest rated:
  • 2013 Chicago vs Boston (5.8M)
  • 2015 Chicago vs Tampa (5.6M)
  • 2010 Chicago vs Philadelphia (5.2M)
  • 2014 LA vs NYR (5.0)
Vegas vs Tampa/Washington may be set up to be amongst the least watched finals over NBCs tenure.

None of those teams have a significant national following. Late start times are once again a factor. All 3 offer very little by way of compelling storylines.

Tampa has won before. Washington? Ovechkin maybe? Meh.

Vegas?

One side of the NHL fandom is trying to sell Vegas as a Cinderella story. A team of castoffs trying to prove something to the rest of the NHL world that cast them aside. That may be enough to get someone to tune in for a few minutes, a period or maybe even a full game. But enough to have them buying Vegas merchandize and staying up to watch their new team in a sport they casually follow?

Maybe but probably not.

Experienced fans offer a more accurate version. They recognize that the NHL came out and said they would have teams expose better players. And many suffered through their own expansion futility with a team of cast offs that just weren't good enough to carry the chips on their shoulders.

Vegas is a better team because the NHL engineered the expansion draft rules to help them become a better team. And said so before the draft. Are these fans going to watch?

Maybe but probably not.

This may be the 5th year in a row in which NBC has underperformed the rating averages of ABC and Fox. In the run up to NBC/NHL's contract expiration, this isn't a good thing for them.

Maybe they need to tweak the expansion draft rules a little more before Seattle/Quebec get on board.

How many different ways can we find to whine about Vegas' success? This is reaching ridiculous proportions.

There is a lot of interest in the Vegas story, and ratings will be fine.you go cry in your beer while hockey fans are watching to see if they can finish this off.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
So, the only storyline you'd find compelling is one where a few teams you arbitrarily like based on former players made the finals? How would that effect ratings? I'd imagine most people who could potentially watch the finals don't agree with you on which specific players fit the criteria.

In terms of broad storylines, Ovechkin is maybe the greatest goal scoring winger of all time, is starting to get pretty old by NHL standards, and is closer to the cup than he's ever been. Vegas had 500 to 1 odds to win when the season started, they have a team of guys other teams felt were the best to cast off, and everyone (myself included admittedly) thought they'd be horrendous, and here they are fighting for the cup. Those seem like broadly compelling storylines to me. TB doesn't have all that much to it for a national audience Imo, but they've been close a bunch over the years and they've earned what they've gotten.
I hate to play this card but I bet that if Ovy was born in Moose Jaw or even less polarizing, people would be more inclined to tune in.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I posted two of the most recent points of data involving the teams remaining in the playoffs. You are perfectly welcome to look up historical ratings yourself and compare them to current trends. There are many threads on the subject on the BOH board or you can try to find the NHL's rather sparce ratings press releases as well as deep diving into google for local news articles.

Or, since you definitely won't do any of those things, you can take my word that the ratings will be just fine.

I posted historical average data in the OP.

You posted comments from the hype/PR department who said these were the best ratings in 3 years.

Fact?

Best ratings in 3 years most likely means that the data from the 4th year was better. And it was. 1.8M viewers vs 1.4m.

And since they didn’t use any years from 2006 on, we can assume they don’t compare well either.

They had a choice to spin it any way they wanted. This was the best they had.

Let’s also acknowledge that this year’s comparables are on NBC vs NBCSN last year.

Last edited:

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Why do I care about ratings?

Besides, I think the Vegas narrative is enough to get a bunch of non-hockey fans to watch.

Reactions: Drakon

May 17, 2009
Maine
Why do I care about ratings?

Besides, I think the Vegas narrative is enough to get a bunch of non-hockey fans to watch.

I think Bettman needs to bring Vince McMahon in as a consultant to get some story lines going.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i'm sure as hell going to watch

feels very nice this year not having to sit through another finals with chicago or pittsburgh in it

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If Vegas wins the Cup but no one is around to watch it, will it count?

Of course it will but it should be no surprise that the NHL may be victims of their own expansion success when it comes to the Television Ratings.

NBC has the current broadcast rights that are set to expire in 2021. On average, ratings on NBC (2006 to present) are lower than Fox (1995-1999) and ABC (2004-2004). And this year may not offer much by way of a ratings prize.

While Ratings in Canada are envious, particularly when involving a Canadian team, US ratings depend on a number of factors given the size of the casual fan base. US audiences need something they can resonate with and early start times in the largest demographic areas don't hurt either.

It's of no surprise that the lowest rated finals on NBC have either included a Canadian team, a lack of star power and/or a time zone factor.

For US Networks, Lowest Rated (NBC 2006 to Now):
  • 2007 Anaheim vs Ottawa (1.6M)
  • 2006 Carolina vs Edmonton (2.9M)
  • 2012 LA vs New Jersey (3.0M)
  • 2016 Pittsburgh vs San Jose (4.0M)
It's also of no surprise that the highest rated finals have included a major US Market with a National following and favourable start times.

For US Networks (NBC), Highest rated:
  • 2013 Chicago vs Boston (5.8M)
  • 2015 Chicago vs Tampa (5.6M)
  • 2010 Chicago vs Philadelphia (5.2M)
  • 2014 LA vs NYR (5.0)
Vegas vs Tampa/Washington may be set up to be amongst the least watched finals over NBCs tenure.

None of those teams have a significant national following. Late start times are once again a factor. All 3 offer very little by way of compelling storylines.

Tampa has won before. Washington? Ovechkin maybe? Meh.

Vegas?

One side of the NHL fandom is trying to sell Vegas as a Cinderella story. A team of castoffs trying to prove something to the rest of the NHL world that cast them aside. That may be enough to get someone to tune in for a few minutes, a period or maybe even a full game. But enough to have them buying Vegas merchandize and staying up to watch their new team in a sport they casually follow?

Maybe but probably not.

Experienced fans offer a more accurate version. They recognize that the NHL came out and said they would have teams expose better players. And many suffered through their own expansion futility with a team of cast offs that just weren't good enough to carry the chips on their shoulders.

Vegas is a better team because the NHL engineered the expansion draft rules to help them become a better team. And said so before the draft. Are these fans going to watch?

Maybe but probably not.

This may be the 5th year in a row in which NBC has underperformed the rating averages of ABC and Fox. In the run up to NBC/NHL's contract expiration, this isn't a good thing for them.

Maybe they need to tweak the expansion draft rules a little more before Seattle/Quebec get on board.

The ratings across the board have been up in these playoffs thanks in large part to Vegas. I don't see why that won't continue, especially in the U.S.

The expansion draft rules are another matter that the NHL should probably revisit but most likely won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad