Who is going to surprise this year ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Sep 18, 2009
I have zero faith the people who think Lilly is a legit top 4 D man have the character to admit he isn't once it's proven it wasn't the coach that held him back, it's actually because he's just not that good..........
why did they sign him

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Matthews Knies scores more goals than both Tavares and Marner and is in for a big 2nd contract.

Knies replaces one of JT/MM on Leafs #1PP unit.

Treliving would be smart to re-sign/extend Knies prior to his big outbreak year,.

Reactions: AvroArrow

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If he plays enough games... just like every year recently.

97 points in 72 games is a lot more impressive than 100 points in 82 games unless you're bad at math.
close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades..........

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades..........

Who is talking about close?

100 points is a made-up benchmark because it's a round number.

97 in 72 is better than 100 in 82, it's simple math that you can't grasp.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Woll will stay healthy and become our saviour and we will win the Lord Stanley

Patch makes the club and scores 30

Reaves gets waived.......Berube wants defensive 4th checking line and Reaves doesnt fit

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
doubt under Berube's system 34 doesn't get anywhere close to 70 either, and the team will be all the better for it............

100 points is a milestone, it has nothing to do with ratio math to try and statistically say Marner's achieved 100 points in a season which he hasn't, or are you Leaf Nation's Trent Howard..............

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

They don't give the Rocket to someone who projects to have the most goals.
Art Ross isn't based on projection in 82 games.

But my projection is scoring 40 goals + earning assists, and likely over 100 points.

Actual results, not actual results / actual games * 82 games.

Reactions: rumman

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
100 points is a milestone, it has nothing to do with ratio math to try and statistically say Marner's achieved 100 points in a season which he hasn't, or are you Leaf Nation's Trent Howard..............

Who defines what a milestone is?

97 in 72 is a better season than 100 in 82, that is a fact.

I don't care about a milestone because it doesn't change the above fact.

How is this hard to grasp?

50 points is a milestone too because it is some random number that is often used it is not greater than 51, it just looks prettier.

They don't give the Rocket to someone who projects to have the most goals.
Art Ross isn't based on projection in 82 games.

But my projection is scoring 40 goals + earning assists, and likely over 100 points.

Actual results, not actual results / actual games * 82 games.

I am posting actual results, how hard is this for people to grasp?

97 points in 72 games is an actual result, how else can I say this?

97 points in 72 games is more impressive than 100 points in a full season.

Did Marner and Nylander have the same production this year in the playoffs or did one have a more impressive production?

You can answer the last sentence and I'll be happy, you will either be wrong or agree with me.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

50 points is a milestone too because it is some random number that is often used it is not greater than 51, it just looks prettier.

Did Marner and Nylander have the same production this year in the playoffs or did one have a more impressive production?

You can answer the last sentence and I'll be happy, you will either be wrong or agree with me.
Too bad marner has fallen off as the league scoring went up since that year

97 in 72 --> 110 pace
99 in 80 --> 101 pace
85 in 69 --> 101 pace

He went from 1st team RW to being 5th and 7th these past two years

he wont be worth 12-13M as the 5th to 7th best winger in the league

Marner should be pushing 110-120 production with how high scoring is now league wide and the expectation he is a kucherov/pastranak/rantanen type winger.

Has a ton of help, needs to avoid slow starts to the year to get to that level

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Too bad marner has fallen off as the league scoring went up since that year

97 in 72 --> 110 pace
99 in 80 --> 101 pace
85 in 69 --> 101 pace

He went from 1st team RW to being 5th and 7th these past two years

he wont be worth 12-13M as the 5th to 7th best winger in the league

Now do Nylander

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Well not me and not you that’s for damn sure, and for therecord the only stats I care about are TEAM stats. I could care less about individual player stats unlike the fan boys in this forum who fawn and swoon whenever their boy does something flashy…….

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Well not me and not you that’s for damn sure, and for therecord the only stats I care about are TEAM stats. I could care less about individual player stats unlike the fan boys in this forum who fawn and swoon whenever their boy does something flashy…….

Seems weird to bring up individual stats and start this convo if you don't care about them.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Cowan makes the team and plays a 2016 Kapanen type role for the team. 20 goals, great depth energy guy.

Liljegren takes a step forward and becomes a reliable defender in his own end and doesn't get benched in physical playoff games. His IQ, skating, passing and decision making was fine IMO, but he was too small and got physically dominated. Apparently he has gained 10lbs, expecting it to make a difference.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Now do Nylander
Nylander is certified overpaid

Its 100% known

80 in 81
88 in 82
98 in 82

He didnt deserve over 9.5M.

Marner is the better producer in the past and he was likely worth ~11M in regular season. However can he continue to give that type of production despite two down years when stacking up for the top wingers in the league while making 12-13M? Very unlikely tbh

Marner at 10.93M x 8 would be a fair deal however Treliving/Nylander's greed womt allow that as Nylander is 2M overpaid

Matthews should be at ~12.5M x 8
Marner ~11 x 8
Nylander ~9.5M x 8

probably going to be collectively ~4.5M overpaid between the three if they remain similar level players in the reg season as they have the past 3-4 years

Marner would be smart if he took 11.5M as it would make it look like a discount based on Nylander's deal and turn most pressure away from him and onto Nylander. At 12.5 or 13M he will need to win a hart/ross/lindsay or cup+smythe to close to living up to.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Nylander is certified overpaid

Its 100% known

80 in 81
88 in 82
98 in 82

He didnt deserve over 9.5M.

Marner is the better producer in the past and he was likely worth ~11M in regular season. However can he continue to give that type of production despite two down years when stacking up for the top wingers in the league while making 12-13M? Very unlikely tbh

Marner at 10.93M x 8 would be a fair deal however Treliving/Nylander's greed womt allow that as Nylander is 2M overpaid

Matthews should be at ~12.5M x 8
Marner ~11 x 8
Nylander ~9.5M x 8

probably going to be collectively ~4.5M overpaid between the three if they remain similar level players in the reg season as they have the past 3-4 years

Marner would be smart if he took 11.5M as it would make it look like a discount based on Nylander's deal and turn most pressure away from him and onto Nylander. At 12.5 or 13M he will need to win a hart/ross/lindsay or cup+smythe to close to living up to.

He outproduces Nylander in the playoffs too... but irrelevant for this convo.

Nice to see people admitting Marner > Nylander.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He outproduces Nylander in the playoffs too... but irrelevant for this convo.

Nice to see people admitting Marner > Nylander.
nylander > marner in 2023-2024 (higher finish in RW all star team voting)

Besides that, Marner has been ahead every regular season except for their rookie years in 2017

Playoffs marner has not been as impactful as nylander since 2019.

2020 vs CBJ ~ Even matchup both get 4 pts in 5 games and play poorly

2021 vs MTL ~ Nylander is clearly best player on the team. Leads the offense with 8 pts in 7 games with kerfoot and galchenyuk vs marner having a bad 4 pts in 7 games with Matthews and Hyman

2022 vs Tampa ~ Even matchup, 8 in 7 va 7 in 7 with marner ahead 1 pt. Nylander plays with tavares the worst playoff player of the core 5 vs Marner getting matthews who was better than Marner that series

2023 vs Tampa - Marner is better with 11 in 6 vs 7 in 6 for Nylander. Both were great, but marner dominated at higher level

2023 vs Florida ~ Even matchup with both guys getting 3 pts in 4 games. Marner game 4 winner, Nylander game 5 tying goal which we cant take advantage of and lose in OT. Both have bad performing series, though nylander generated more chances especially in game 2 where tavares missed 2 tap ins set by Nylandwr

2024 vs Boston ~ Nylander is clearly better despite coming back from alleged concussions. 3 pts in 4 vs 3 pts in 7, and scores the last 3 goals of our playoffs in games 6 and game 7

Nylander has been the better playoff player since he broke out in 2019-2020

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I prefer goals scored myself, but assists earned have value.

I prefer the Belak point system.

Anyway, 100 points is an accepted milestone, but of course it is just like playing 1,000 games, meaningless like other milestones. 50 goals. 50 goals in less than 50 games. Gretzky's totals.

You aren't a 100 point player if you've never scored 100 points.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Seems weird to bring up individual stats and start this convo if you don't care about them.
I was pointing out the reality of facts, not individual stats. When someone is implying a lie I can’t help but point it out. I think Jean Chretien said it best:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad