Who is going to be a surprise in this year's Training Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Surprises in camp are pretty much reserved for the kids as vets pretty much just try and get their skating legs and avoid injury. Assuming Perfetti signs I think it sets up that Heinola is a lock and Lambert will be given an opportunity to beat out Axel and or Kupari for the last forward spot depending on if we go with 13 or 14 forwards. Surprises beyond that are in the eyes of the beholder.

Agreed. I put little stock in camp performances. The incumbents are half assing it.

There is likely only one spot up for grabs and I agree that Lambert will be given an opportunity for it.

Other then that 99% of roster will be set heading into camp as it is every year.

I'd like to see some forward thinking but this org hasn't done so the last number of years. It wi be vet heavy once again with Stanly/Heinola fighting for the starting LD spot.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Dancin’ Gabe’s new dance moves he’s workin on all Training Camp. If he’s timely and effective in unleashing those moves during the season… it’s good for at least 1-2 more home game wins.

Gotta get those fans going, the unofficial 7th man at CLC.

Reactions: voyageur

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think having talent at the ELC level can get you through the grind. There were a lot of minuses on the board last year among prospective forwards. Which means they regularly lost matchups at a lower level then the NHL. True North didn't field a team that could win on the farm last season, but when you start 3 rookies at centre there is growing pains. I don't mind slow cooking these guys, if the vets (the same vets as last year to a man, which is unique) can carry the weight. Good starts make it easier to play through lulls. Perfetti is a year older, Heinola is a year older. Those are 2 players who should be able to have a greater impact

The Jets probably have 4 veteran forwards, likely Moose bound, who could make the jump with a call, and contribute something to the team, so I am hoping to see the young guys make some strides, be ready to step up first for an injury. Dominate at a lower level. At forward I think the next man up can get pretty deep.

On defense I think there is 10 who could play this season. Fleury got a bargain basement contract, but I am watching to see if his familiarity with Chynoweth pays dividends. He's been a good penalty killer in Tampa, and I think that's an element the team will want to replace, losing Dillon, who had Stanley backing him up. The bottom pairing of the Jets is the biggest competition in TC in my opinion.

Jets may give Lambert a shot to win a spot, but he's going to have to dominate. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets in at least 4 maybe 5 preseason games.

Kupari is one on an NHL contract who will need to show a big improvement to stay in the NHL. If he is no better than last year they have to waive him.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Like a few people mentioned ... I don't expect any surprises with rookies making the lineup.
What I am hoping for is one or two regulars can take their play to the next level and make a big impact.

Reactions: voyageur

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I'm not expecting a rookie to blow the doors off enough to make the squad if there already wasn't the possibility of a spot already.

Case in point, Heinola. He's already had a TC where he looked good, and there is "potentially" a spot available and he has to pass through waivers now. I think it would be a bigger surprise if he disappointed in such a short time frame to warrant not making the roster.

I'm a huge fan of Salo, but unless something extraordinary happens, Miller is looking like the 3RD. And then as an org you make the decision that playing big minutes with the Moose as a start is a better development path.

The only surprise on D I am expecting is not so much a surprise, but who out of Coghlan, Fleury, and possibly Lundmark take the 8th spot. Fleury the most NHL experience, but also the only left hander of the 3.

Up front the first 11 spots are written in stone (Scheifele, Connor, Ehlers, NN, Iafallo, Vilardi, Lowry, Appleton, Names, Barron, Perfetti).

That leaves; Gus, Kupari, JAD, Shaw, AJF, and Toninato (as NHL experienced guys), and Lambert, Chibs, and Ford (as possible non NHL experienced guys), with Yager and Barlow going back for a year, and Lucius needing to play a healthy season in the AHL.

I like the idea of Lambert and Chibs making the jump in some capacity, but it only works if they get playing time, and are not playing 5 minutes a night on the 4th. At the very least I am hoping they get a game or two at the beginning of the season, and I'm really hoping that as the year goes on that if a top 6 forward goes down, the Jets don't shuffle the lineup up a bit and then call up a 4th liner like AJF, but start trying to bring up a scorer like Lambert and try him in that role (as long as he keeps doing well in the AHL).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not expecting a rookie to blow the doors off enough to make the squad if there already wasn't the possibility of a spot already.

Case in point, Heinola. He's already had a TC where he looked good, and there is "potentially" a spot available and he has to pass through waivers now. I think it would be a bigger surprise if he disappointed in such a short time frame to warrant not making the roster.

I'm a huge fan of Salo, but unless something extraordinary happens, Miller is looking like the 3RD. And then as an org you make the decision that playing big minutes with the Moose as a start is a better development path.

The only surprise on D I am expecting is not so much a surprise, but who out of Coghlan, Fleury, and possibly Lundmark take the 8th spot. Fleury the most NHL experience, but also the only left hander of the 3.

Up front the first 11 spots are written in stone (Scheifele, Connor, Ehlers, NN, Iafallo, Vilardi, Lowry, Appleton, Names, Barron, Perfetti).

That leaves; Gus, Kupari, JAD, Shaw, AJF, and Toninato (as NHL experienced guys), and Lambert, Chibs, and Ford (as possible non NHL experienced guys), with Yager and Barlow going back for a year, and Lucius needing to play a healthy season in the AHL.

I like the idea of Lambert and Chibs making the jump in some capacity, but it only works if they get playing time, and are not playing 5 minutes a night on the 4th. At the very least I am hoping they get a game or two at the beginning of the season, and I'm really hoping that as the year goes on that if a top 6 forward goes down, the Jets don't shuffle the lineup up a bit and then call up a 4th liner like AJF, but start trying to bring up a scorer like Lambert and try him in that role (as long as he keeps doing well in the AHL).

This is my thought process. Lambert will need to very clearly beat out Namestnikov for the 2C to make the team.

The rest imo won't see much time unless there are injuries. I always pegged the 25/26 season as the major youth integration year with all the contracts coming off the books.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I remember him being frustrating to watch. Lots of going from side to side or the occasional rush up the wing to shoot wide or at the goalie.

Yeah he had the bad habit of constantly holding onto the puck far too long and taking it out of good scoring locations to bad ones.

Reactions: Jet

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
He went on to have a pretty mediocre KHL career.

Ruined by Thrashers? Jets? KHL? We'll never know.
Thrashers (IMO). They rushed both him and Bogo into the NHL in their D+1. You could maybe make a case that Kane could have used some more time to ripen but he went on to have a good career. Maybe it could have been better tho

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember him being pretty fun to watch his first year in Winnipeg

I think so too, but also leaving you wanting and expecting more. That wish was never fulfilled.

Reactions: Jet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad