Who is going to be a surprise in this year's Training Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Every year somebody makes their mark in TC, that is somewhat unexpected. I think Big Bad Brad did it in his rookie campaign, last year Parker Ford pushed hard for a job., being the last cut. A lot of people have very high expectations for Salomonsson going into camp. Anyone who you think is going to be a surprise this year, maybe wins a job out of camp? If there are any jobs available... I'll say Mason Shaw might be a guy to watch, if the Jets are looking for a little more sandpaper in their roster. With Calgary and Minnesota in the early part of the Jets schedule.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Every year somebody makes their mark in TC, that is somewhat unexpected. I think Big Bad Brad did it in his rookie campaign, last year Parker Ford pushed hard for a job., being the last cut. A lot of people have very high expectations for Salomonsson going into camp. Anyone who you think is going to be a surprise this year, maybe wins a job out of camp? If there are any jobs available... I'll say Mason Shaw might be a guy to watch, if the Jets are looking for a little more sandpaper in their roster. With Calgary and Minnesota in the early part of the Jets schedule.
Surprises in camp are pretty much reserved for the kids as vets pretty much just try and get their skating legs and avoid injury. Assuming Perfetti signs I think it sets up that Heinola is a lock and Lambert will be given an opportunity to beat out Axel and or Kupari for the last forward spot depending on if we go with 13 or 14 forwards. Surprises beyond that are in the eyes of the beholder.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
G-Kaapo Kahkonen-will win backup job in camp
D-Haydn Fleury-will push hard to be the 7th D to start the season
F-Jaret Anderson-Dolan-will be in the conversation for the 13th F spot, maybe even a starting 12 spot.
Fleury has never been demoted since he was an ELC. He might turn out to be a better penalty killer than Stanley and a better skater. I see him on the opening roster, maybe even starting opening day. I wonder if the Jets trade Kupari in camp if someone out plays him. I think the Jets were looking at a player who could compete with Appleton for ice time, so he's maybe a surprise if he gets back to that level. JAD is in an interesting player too. I think the Jets can play heavier than last year in spite of losing Dillon.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Fleury has never been demoted since he was an ELC. He might turn out to be a better penalty killer than Stanley and a better skater. I see him on the opening roster, maybe even starting opening day. I wonder if the Jets trade Kupari in camp if someone out plays him. I think the Jets were looking at a player who could compete with Appleton for ice time, so he's maybe a surprise if he gets back to that level. JAD is in an interesting player too. I think the Jets can play heavier than last year in spite of losing Dillon.
I see Fleury as another Samberg - it won't surprise me to see him in the starting lineup.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think Lambert, Chibrikov and Salomonsson will all impress in training camp, but ultimately start in the AHL (mainly due to waivers).

I don't see Stanley going anywhere and probably platoons with Heinola getting games when the coaches feel they need a bigger physical presence on D (with Dillon gone).

I also think Perfetti and Ehlers are going to sparkle in training camp, giving Arniel more ammunition to use a 2/3 scoring line more.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
It seems like everyone is hoping/expecting both Lambert and/or Salomonsson have huge camps and make the squad.

To me they both look like guys who will benefit from having time in the minors to round out their games.

Lambert getting some PK time and working on his 200 ft game. And Salo getting some real PP/offensive minutes.

To me Chibrikov has the type of skill set that can improve the bottom six offensively while not being too soft to help in the role the Jets want their bottom six to play.

If there is a full time Moose guy to move up I think it is him.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Lambert, Chibrikov and Salomonsson will all impress in training camp, but ultimately start in the AHL (mainly due to waivers).

I don't see Stanley going anywhere and probably platoons with Heinola getting games when the coaches feel they need a bigger physical presence on D (with Dillon gone).

I also think Perfetti and Ehlers are going to sparkle in training camp, giving Arniel more ammunition to use a 2/3 scoring line more.

Maybe Fleury, or even Coghlan take on that heavy game role as #7s.

I don't have much of a feel for either player. Their contracts seem to suggest that they were signed for the Moose. But both have played in the NHL. Both have the size to play physically.

Is there a realistic chance that either, or both make the Jets? Could either or both of Stanley and Heinola be bumped?

That could fit the subject of this thread. Real surprises. :laugh:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I don't have much of a feel for either player. Their contracts seem to suggest that they were signed for the Moose. But both have played in the NHL. Both have the size to play physically.

Is there a realistic chance that either, or both make the Jets? Could either or both of Stanley and Heinola be bumped?

Fleury is more likely to stick as #7/8 over Coghlan I think. Over the last 5 seasons Fleury has played 171 NHL games compared to only 5 AHL games, where Coghlan has been more balance between the NHL and AHL. In reality both are probably better than Stanley.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I really can't see the Jets waiving Stanley or Heinola. Maybe they get traded, but if not I expect them on the Jets roster to start the season.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I really can't see the Jets waiving Stanley or Heinola. Maybe they get traded, but if not I expect them on the Jets roster to start the season.
I think there is a strong chance the Jets carry 8 d to start the year, like last year. Given the inexperience at the depth level. If all the 13 forwards signed to NHL contracts make the team, all ELCs get demoted, plus AJF, JAD, Toninato, Coughlan and Lundmark.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think there is a strong chance the Jets carry 8 d to start the year, like last year. Given the inexperience at the depth level. If all the 13 forwards signed to NHL contracts make the team, all ELCs get demoted, plus AJF, JAD, Toninato, Coughlan and Lundmark.
Man I hope the organization shows a little more vision than that. We may be a little worse to start the season giving one or 2 of the kids a role starting the season, but we will likely be much better by the end of the season injecting raw talent now over defaulting to safe depth.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Man I hope the organization shows a little more vision than that. We may be a little worse to start the season giving one or 2 of the kids a role starting the season, but we will likely be much better by the end of the season injecting raw talent now over defaulting to safe depth.
I think having talent at the ELC level can get you through the grind. There were a lot of minuses on the board last year among prospective forwards. Which means they regularly lost matchups at a lower level then the NHL. True North didn't field a team that could win on the farm last season, but when you start 3 rookies at centre there is growing pains. I don't mind slow cooking these guys, if the vets (the same vets as last year to a man, which is unique) can carry the weight. Good starts make it easier to play through lulls. Perfetti is a year older, Heinola is a year older. Those are 2 players who should be able to have a greater impact

The Jets probably have 4 veteran forwards, likely Moose bound, who could make the jump with a call, and contribute something to the team, so I am hoping to see the young guys make some strides, be ready to step up first for an injury. Dominate at a lower level. At forward I think the next man up can get pretty deep.

On defense I think there is 10 who could play this season. Fleury got a bargain basement contract, but I am watching to see if his familiarity with Chynoweth pays dividends. He's been a good penalty killer in Tampa, and I think that's an element the team will want to replace, losing Dillon, who had Stanley backing him up. The bottom pairing of the Jets is the biggest competition in TC in my opinion.

Jets may give Lambert a shot to win a spot, but he's going to have to dominate. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets in at least 4 maybe 5 preseason games.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad