Who else has very little interest in the Four Nations tournament?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I finally took the 3 seconds it takes to google it.. I didn’t realize it’s during the season. I kinda just assumed it was during offseason or something. I absolutely despise when they do crap like this in the middle of the season.

The best thing about this tournament is the fact that players not involved in this get a bit of a break and can probably take off for a few days on a holiday with their family

Well, don't forget no abomination of an All-Star weekend this season either. That's the best thing.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It pains me to say it, but the way Alan Eagleson ran these tournaments was top notch. I am just talking solely about how he organized them, not that he took money off the top of it. But man those Canada Cups were epic and competitive. We had the World Cup with the gimmick teams in 2016 and will have the Olympics in 2026, the first since 2014. So either that is 10 or 12 years depending on how you look at it since the last best on best. This was a wasted opportunity with McDavid and several players who have never - and will never - get a chance to represent Canada on the top stage. So many players that came and went that never got that shot, and for what?

Stamkos is the poster boy for this. Didn't play in Sochi due to injury, would've made the 2018 and 2022 Olympic teams had the league let the players go. 2022 can be blamed on COVID but he (and many other players) missed out in 2018 for no good reason.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
How can you have a tournament, hosted by the NHL, in North America, featuring all NHL players, and not include the Russians and Czech

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Any international hockey is nice at this point, even in a weird condensed format and excluding some key nations (Czech Republic, Slovakia, Germany, Switzerland).

Even if Russia were allowed to participate, they wouldn't be a serious contender anyways because their C and D sucks, and Ovechkin is 85-years old and didn't even do shit internationally when he was younger and in his prime. When they were last a best-on-best threat in 1998 they had Fedorov (all-time great player), Zhamnov and Yashin down the middle.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If the players buy in, it will be great hockey, and that’s all that will matter.

Been around long enough to know that the people must adamant and vocal about not caring will be right here along with us telling us how dumb and pointless the games they’re actively watching are.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I know it screws with IIHF ranking systems and qualifiers and such.

But I honestly believe Russian athletes should be allowed to do what they do in other olympic sports. Let them send a team as a 'individual neutral athletes' (AIN) from Russia. And not allow the anthem to be played.

Not the players fault their country screwed up. Happened when the Soviet union fell, the former USSR sent a 'Unified Team' and competed under the olympic 5 rings flag.

Reactions: MessierII

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If the players buy in, it will be great hockey, and that’s all that will matter.

Been around long enough to know that the people must adamant and vocal about not caring will be right here along with us telling us how dumb and pointless the games they’re actively watching are.

Because there is nothing else. Not because this is particularly good or entertaining. Hell, if the NBA team in my city (Toronto) was a contender, I'd rather watch them then this tourny. There are lots of great players, yes, but so does the All-Star game.

Reactions: brentashton

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
People have to get over the fact that Russia is not going to be playing. Hockey is largely a NATO sport, and Russia is at war with the West. Can't expect to be fighting against the West, and still expect the West to play with you in an international event.
What about the whole “sports is outside politics” thing ?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Because there is nothing else. Not because this is particularly good or entertaining. Hell, if the NBA team in my city (Toronto) was a contender, I'd rather watch them then this tourny. There are lots of great players, yes, but so does the All-Star game.

I think its a wee bit different though.

This doesnt have any gimmick teams and its been forever since we have seen an actual best on best tourney and I really think the players are going to buy in and play their hearts out. This wont be an all-star game and is going to be a tune up for the even bigger show in the upcoming Olympics. The hockey world is really feeling the damage from lack of World tourneys to help grow the game and it looks like everyone is starting to get on board.

I mean, if McDavid, Crosby and Bedard playing for Canada in meaningful games doesnt get you hyped, what will? Im pretty stoked to see it myself.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Stamkos is the poster boy for this. Didn't play in Sochi due to injury, would've made the 2018 and 2022 Olympic teams had the league let the players go. 2022 can be blamed on COVID but he (and many other players) missed out in 2018 for no good reason.
Except for the good reason of the impact of shutting down the NHL season for 3 weeks and having the risk of injury for no appreciable benefit to the NHL.

I get why players want to compete in the Olympics. I also get why the owners don't want to incur the risk for no appreciable benefit to the NHL.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
As a Canadian obviously it is nice to see Canada win. But for one, there is no Russia, so that is like starting the NHL playoffs and taking away a top contender of two and then acting as if nothing happened. Secondly, how will the players view it? To me the 2026 Olympics is the true test to who is the best. And I think this even if Canada wins.
Would Russia even be that much of a contender today?

Kucherov and the the goalies are top tier, but there’s a pretty noticeable drop after that?

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There’s other things on TV.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Im excited. A wise man once said “don’t let perfect get in the way of good.

Some of you guys just whine for the sake of whining. All 4 teams will be absolutely stacked and the amount of talent concentrated in this tournament will make it must watch.

I personally believe you add the Russians, Czechs, Slovaks and then make a 8th team with everyone else. But I’m still excited for the 4 teams we do get to see.
If you want to toss quotes around pertaining to this “tournament”, here’s another that fits…

If a thing’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right.” — Chinese Proverb

This tournament, shutting down the NHL mid season and not all of its stars having an opportunity to participate, is being done far from right/correctly.

To the second bolded statement, that would be an improvement towards getting the best players involved, but they didn’t do that and that’s why the 4 team tourney is a joke. Good old NHL and its half baked ideas.

I’d rather watch players shoot meat pucks at alligators.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I mean, if McDavid, Crosby and Bedard playing for Canada in meaningful games doesnt get you hyped, what will? Im pretty stoked to see it myself.
Wut?

These games are only meaningful when one of them suffers a season ending injury.

These games mean nothing.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
How can you have a tournament, hosted by the NHL, in North America, featuring all NHL players, and not include the Russians and Czech

Because when "we" do something, it is good and moral and completely correct. When "they" do it, it is the most awful thing that has ever happened in history. Don't blame me, I don't make the rules.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I understand why they couldn't do a more expansive tournament with Russia's antics and Czech's lack of NHL/AHL players. But at that point just do a 7/8 game series between USA/Canada and Sweden/Finland.

Perhaps the greatest international hockey event in history was the Summit Series. It's bizarre how they avoid doing an event like that again.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Would Russia even be that much of a contender today?

Kucherov and the the goalies are top tier, but there’s a pretty noticeable drop after that?
Russia and Sweden are basically neck and neck for third best country.

Kucherov, Panarin, Kaprizov are all marquee forwards. Malkin and Ovechkin still kicking. Buchnevich, Kuzmenko, Svechnikov, Tarasenko, Barbashev, Nichushkin (maybe), Chinakhov, Kuznetsov, Marchenko, possibly even Michkov. There's a lot of solid options throughout a potential lineup.

On Defense, there's Sergachev, Provorov, Zadorov, Gavrikov, Romanov, Orlov, Mintyukov, Kulikov, Lyubushkin, Zub, Nikishin. Not exactly top tier but good enough to hold its own.

Best goaltending options in the world with Shesterkin, Vasilevskiy, Bobrovksy.

Russia would not be the favorite but could win on any given day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad