• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018

4:56 Someone said the OHL has weak defense? He couldn't have had more time & space on that goal if the Zamboni was cleaning the ice.

As for the profile, it was solid. He has really good north-south speed for a big guy, though his crouched down skating style is more like what you see in smaller players. I imagine that tires him out after awhile as that style puts so much stress on the lower body.

From what I've seen although he's got the size to play in the pros he may need some time to develop as he won't have lazy teenagers to skate around in the NHL. As the video pointed out, he's big on transition game and that will be much harder in the pros.

I'd still take Stutzle in a heartbeat over him as to me he's not a "sure thing" to succeed in the NHL. Of course, outside of Alexis in this draft no one is, but Stutzle is pretty close.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
I love Stutzle. But Byfield is closer to Lafreniere than he is to Stutzle. For whatever reason some people are hating on him. But Byfield put up the 10th most points per game in his draft season of anyone from the OHL in the last 20 years. He's huge, he's fast, and if he was born a month later he'd be in next year's draft. This kid might easily end up being 6'5 230-240 and one of the faster players on the league with great skill. How can you possibly pass on a guy like that when the production is there?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
McKenzie, Mckeen's, ISS, and HockeyProspect.com all have Stuzle ranked 2nd.

Elite and Future Considerations have Byfield ranked 2nd.
Byfield was a non factor at the World Juniors. That did not help his ranking in a year where junior hockey was shut down early.

FYI - Tim Stützle was amazing at the World Juniors.

Having said that, Stützle got to show his stuff on a German team that wasn't very good while Byfield had to wait his turn on a Canadian team that won Gold.

Last edited:

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
Best player available.....my vision quest is complete.
Quinton Byfield 2 LA Kings (1 of 1).jpg

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
This years draft just screams 2017 all over again. Hope we don't get Nolan Patrick all over again.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Stutzle is the guy for me. The way that his mind, hands, and feet work in concert-- all at an elite level-- seals the deal.

Love Byfield as well, but a lot of his points this year came off of odd-man rushes, and I don't think he'll get as many opportunities that way at the NHL level. His playmaking ability is also inferior to Stutzle's, in my eyes. Stutzle routinely creates something out of nothing, similar to Kane.

In any case, great day to be a Kings fan. Thrilled to be able to select between Stutzle/Byfield.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Byfield is the obvious answer.

But I just see LA taking Stutzle. He is both a centre and a Left Wing which LA needs more than centres. Really, a LHD if This wasn't a case of BPA. They already have Turcotte and Vilardi who could play centre for them and have Stutzle on the wing.

Byfield would be nice to fill into Kopitar's shoes though.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
I do not envy Bluc, its a tough decision.

Thankfully our euro scouts have been on their game in recent years so they will have good info.

It may come down to the fact that Stutzle can come over and join the kids in building in the AHL next year whereas Byfield is NHL or CHL. Adding Stutzle to the group of young guys at the AHL gets the club building a team instead of just a lot of good prospects.

Imagine 21/22 where you can bring up Turcotte, Bjornfoot, Madden, Stutzle, Fagemo, Hults and Thomas after they've spent a year developing in the same system together building chemistry. It makes the NHL transition easier & more familiar for all of them.

MollerManor

Feb 18, 2009
A more fun question is would you trade #2 and our second round pick (or something else) to Ottawa for #3 and 5? (If they fell for it)

That would be.. intriguing...

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
Byfield was a non factor at the World Juniors. That did not help his ranking in a year where junior hockey was shut down early.

FYI - Tim Stützle was amazing at the World Juniors.

Having said that, Stützle got to show his stuff on a German team that wasn't very good while Byfield had to wait his turn on a Canadian team that won Gold.
Remember that the year before this Lafreniere didn't do anything in the world juniors. He had 1 point just like Byfield did this World Juniors. Byfield was 2 months older in this WJ than Laf was in the prior WJ.

Just trying to put it in perspective. I really do love Stutzles game too.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Remember that the year before this Lafreniere didn't do anything in the world juniors. He had 1 point just like Byfield did this World Juniors. Byfield was 2 months older in this WJ than Laf was in the prior WJ.

Just trying to put it in perspective. I really do love Stutzles game too.
That's fair.

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
Question I've heard Yzerman just loves Stutzle. Would LA trade down to 4 and draft Drysdale and pick up some extra pieces. Would make sense if Yzerman wants to get ahead of Ottawa and get his guy. What would be an acceptable package if this was an option?

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
If The Kings end up second they will take Byfield! Is he ready for the NHL today,yes. Is it prudent that they turn him pro 2020-21,no! Give him another year in the Juniors then turn him pro. Ideally would like to see him developing some place other than CHL...like Sweden or Finland or even Switzerland but what the heck. He does look good and is the replacement for Kopistar...but since Kopi is still around and is our Star forward,Byfield can take up the 3rd line centre role and let him learn and develop there,until...so Turcotte,Vilardi,Kupari,Thomas,Madden...play where? I see Turcotte as a great number 2 Centre and the rest will make up the newly minted RWing along with Kaliyev in 1-2 years time! As for trading up from the second round(35,48 and 59),I'd be making all the picks since it has been said that the talent level seems quite similar 20-50! And getting a Byfield is a bonanza!N ow they have to find some LWingers with speed to burn and a scoring touch. Kempe could be that player with KopiStar! I'm sure Yannetti and co. have targeted some wingers they like...can't wait...for the 1st,2nd,3rd,4th and all the rounds,especially with bird-dog Yannetti!

Reactions: Rusty Batch

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I mentioned this in the other thread but you have to consider a few German-ties. Anschutz owns a team in Germany, Yanetti just mentioned that the Kings have a heavy scout presence in Germany AND Marco Sturm on the bench? Would not be surprised if this pick is Stutzle. There are a lot of ties.
That would be a huge mistake taking Stuetzle over Byfield IMHO!

Reactions: Rusty Batch

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
Two months ago I would have said no-brainer BPA (or at least in my book, MVPA), which is Byfield. Now I'm much more unsure since I'm convinced the Kings turnaround will be much faster than we think now that Cal Petersen and Gabe Vilardi are here (plus Frk).

Byfield to me needs a couple of seasons to ripen. If I want someone who maybe can be big impact immediately, maybe it's Stutzle. But if the Kings scouting report says Drysdale is ready enough to be play on the big club, sheltered by Doughty, then him.

Draft for need pay the price. Yannetti went into detail about that in the Q&A afterward and Dean talked about for years...those are the biggest mistakes they've made in the past. If you have two equally rated guys, then you look to certain needs, but not necessarily position needs. For me, it's hard to turndown the package Byfield brings. Kings are not winning anything in the next 2 years anyway and you can never have enough centermen, EVER!

And yes, this is my first post here in like 5 or 6 years by my count...welcome me back people!!! :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad