Who do you draft to your favorite team - Lebron James or Connor McDavid?

Pick one - draft 18yr old McDavid to your hockey team, or 18yr old Lebron to your basketball team

• Total voters

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Lebron carried some weaker Cavs teams quite far, and also has the power to attract other top stars in the league to build a guaranteed contender. He has a very real argument for top 2 all time (whether you prefer Jordan is another story). He's got my LeVote

You can make a case for Magic at #2 and Lebron at #3 more than you can make a case for Lebron against Jordan.

When Magic was a rookie. He led a team to the NBA finals as a point guard. Then when Kareem was injured, Magic won LA the NBA championship by stepping in to play C and scoring over 40 points. Lebron was more athletic than Magic but Magic was superior in other ways. He manipulated the game more by controlling tempo. Plus, he had the versatility to significantly make an impact at C - which wasn't a position that was the primary ball handler. Lebron can only function as the primary ball handler.

Bird's passing, shooting, and rebounding puts him in the 2/3/4 discussion too.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If LeBron is drafted under NHL culture where players don't run organizations and don't act as GMs then it's a split

LeBron under NBA culture its him for the short run as he'll be with you for 4-5 years and get you a chip then leave for another team he'll hand pick.

McDavid is the better offensive player relative to their sport. Lebron has 1 scoring title to Mcdavids 4

McDavid is honestly a top 5 offensive player on NBA/NHL combined history

Gretzky/Lemiuex/McDavid from hockey

Jordan/Wilt from the NBA

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
If LeBron is drafted under NHL culture where players don't run organizations and don't act as GMs then it's a split

LeBron under NBA culture its him for the short run as he'll be with you for 4-5 years and get you a chip then leave for another team he'll hand pick.

McDavid is the better offensive player relative to their sport. Lebron has 1 scoring title to Mcdavids 4

McDavid is honestly a top 5 offensive player on NBA/NHL combined history

Gretzky/Lemiuex/McDavid from hockey

Jordan/Wilt from the NBA
He's not.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
In the NHL he's the 3rd best offensive player of all time right now
He's not more accomplished than Sid. And when I say more accomplished, I mean that in a way where he impacts winning.

Gretzky was the engine for teams that won multiple SCs.
Lemieux was the engine for teams that won multiple SCs.
Sid was the engine for teams that won multiple SCs.
You could also make a case that Orr should be ranked above McDavid.

Then in the NBA, you have Magic as the engine for teams than won multiple championships. Same with Bird. You can also say this about Olajuwon and Duncan. Even though he wasn't the engine of the showtime Lakers, you can make a case for Kareem. Then there's Shaq/Kobe (depending on who you credit more). Bill Russell, yes, impacted team success but his offensive stats were poor - still though, he impacted winning and his teams won a lot.

Winning individual trophies for scoring a lot doesn't put you in the conversation with the names I've mentioned. All but Russell were statistically excellent with offense in some way.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He's not more accomplished than Sid. And when I say more accomplished, I mean that in a way where he impacts winning.

Gretzky was the engine for teams that won multiple SCs.
Lemieux was the engine for teams that won multiple SCs.
Sid was the engine for teams that won multiple SCs.
You could also make a case that Orr should be ranked above McDavid.

Then in the NBA, you have Magic as the engine for teams than won multiple championships. Same with Bird. You can also say this about Olajuwon and Duncan. Even though he wasn't the engine of the showtime Lakers, you can make a case for Kareem. Then there's Shaq/Kobe (depending on who you credit more). Bill Russell, yes, impacted team success but his offensive stats were poor - still though, he impacted winning and his teams won a lot.

Winning individual trophies for scoring a lot doesn't put you in the conversation with the names I've mentioned. All but Russell were statistically excellent with offense in some way.
I'm just speaking from a purely offensive perspective

Duncan/hakeem/kobe etc were greater than current McDavid for sure however McDavid 4 rosses in 7 years is legendary offensive production. Only kobe could similarly dominate an game at that offensive level and he was only that good from 03 to 08 vs McDavid whose going to be clear cut best offensive player in the NHL from 2018 to like 2026-2028

He has a chance to finish with more rosses than Lemiuex ( who obviously lost a lot due to injuries) which is insane

Evergreen

I don’t care about basketball, so personally I would take McDavid. But if I did care about both sports equally, I’d choose Lebron no questions asked. He is a much more impactful player in his sport than McDavid is in hockey.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
All star NBA talent effects the game more than all star hockey talent

Probably becuase they can easily be on the floor for 90% of the time unlike the NHL.

Lebron was carrying damn near randoms off the street to finals some years.

Reactions: Guttersniped

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Can’t believe this is close. Obviously LeBron. He is the most physically gifted athletic prospect in any sport ever.

Reactions: Guttersniped

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Lebron orchestrated going there and building a superteam. He signed there because he knew they would be a contender. He knew he was going to a contender. When he went back to Cleveland, he had them make trades to bring in players that he wanted them to get so they could become a contender faster. He knew he was going to a contender. So let's not pretend he wasn't jumping for championships. I won't speak to the LA deal as I stopped paying much attention to the NBA, but didn't he basically just say they won't miss the playoffs again "or else"? What do you think the "or else" is?

Drafting Lebron only got Cleveland a championship because he went back after bailing on them once though.
Any team a healthy Lebron is on is a contender.

You can make a case for Magic at #2 and Lebron at #3 more than you can make a case for Lebron against Jordan.

When Magic was a rookie. He led a team to the NBA finals as a point guard. Then when Kareem was injured, Magic won LA the NBA championship by stepping in to play C and scoring over 40 points. Lebron was more athletic than Magic but Magic was superior in other ways. He manipulated the game more by controlling tempo. Plus, he had the versatility to significantly make an impact at C - which wasn't a position that was the primary ball handler. Lebron can only function as the primary ball handler.

Bird's passing, shooting, and rebounding puts him in the 2/3/4 discussion too.
You don't understand basketball. As an all-around player, there is no argument for any other perimeter player over Lebron

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
18 year old Lebron would be fun to have on my Lakers. They would have won more than the 4 Championships he already has if he had started his career there. Imagine him starting in the Shaq and Kobe era and playing up to now. Would have been ridiculous.

But my heart is with the Habs. I know it wouldn't make as much of a difference, but hey, you never know. Last year's team made it to the Stanley Cup Finals. Now, imagine if McDavid had joined as a rookie. The team would have probably attracted a couple of Cup-chasing stars since 2015; maybe we pull it off last year.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Any team a healthy Lebron is on is a contender.

You don't understand basketball. As an all-around player, there is no argument for any other perimeter player over Lebron
The idea that there’s no argument for Jordan is ridiculous. He was a clear better scorer when you consider usage and the hand-check rules.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Lebron James, he's at the worst the second best player in the sport's history. Basketball is also a more star driven sport, he could carry you better than McDavid can in hockey.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
The idea that there’s no argument for Jordan is ridiculous. He was a clear better scorer when you consider usage and the hand-check rules.
Yes Jordan scored a bit more while shooting less efficiently. Whoopdedoo. Lebron is a more effective player in pretty much every facet aside from midrange shooting. Usage really isn't a particularly illuminating metric either. It is a stat, and it says something, but I'm not sure that something is of any real value.

Zone defense was also illegal for Jordan's career.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I have seen the Raptors win in my lifetime and have a much closer attachment to hockey. So happens we drafted McDavid already, so I'll take a second one to pair with him.

Reactions: Summer Rose

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
James to the Raptors, and easily. Better player relative to his sport, established longevity, and a basketball player can impact games more than a hockey player can. He might decide to leave after some point but I'm confident that he'd stick around for a long time if management built a strong team around him.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Unless you are an absolute hockey fanatic and have been dropped on your head recently, LeBron James.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Dont give a crap about Bball so McDavid, but because individual basketball players have a much higher impact on a team the smart choice would be Lebron if I had a favorite basketball team.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Basketball players have such a dramatically larger impact than hockey players. If you had the option, Lebron is the hands down obvious choice.

He's as close to a consensus top 2 player as there is, and has shown some of the best longevity in the sport's history. McDavid is trending to top 5 all time, but is what, 13 seasons less than Lebron?

Lebron is a better basketball player than McDavid is at hockey.

But. I don't watch basketball.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad