Who are your top 5 Hart candidates ranked?

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Better defensively, centre, much better underlying stats, better team performance, can I stop yet?
You forgot the biggest 2 - Canadian, 1st overall pick.

And shouldn't better team support be a negative for a reward that goes to, you know, the most valuable player?

Mackinnon is 17 points ahead of second on his team, and has contributed to 43% of the Avs goals.
Kucherov is a whopping 28 points ahead, and has been in on 49% of the Lightning goals.

So we have:
- more goals
- better point production
- bigger gap between teammates
- larger team goal share
- doing it all on a worse team

And Mackinnon is the most valuable player....?

Last edited:

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
In no order:

Q. Hughes
MacKinnon
Kucherov
Crosby - if they make playoffs
Hellebuyck

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Can be argued for most teams....

Quinn Hughes over EP40.
Barkov over Reinhart.
Nylander and Marner over Matthews.

MacKinnon, McDavid, Pasta, Panarin and Helly carry their teams.
Marner has been our 4th best player this year. In no world should he have an argument over Matthews.

Nylander sure he's been phenomenal.

But Marner has less points, half the goals, worst +/-, less hits/blocks/takeaways, more giveaways, less on ice impact on both ends of the ice, worst even strength stats.... and so on.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
My list would include the following 5, in any order:

Kucherov- Leading the league in PPG, almost 30 more points than any teammate
Mackinnon - Leading the league in points as a 1c on a very good team.
Matthews - On pace for 70 goals, 104 points. Been a monster at both ends of the ice.
Hellebuyck - Vezina Caliber season on arguably the best Western team this season. Been a true force to their success.
Pastrnak - 3rd in the NHL in points/goals while having 23 more points than any teammate been a key to Boston's success.

Honorable Mentions:
Quinn Hughes - This years Norris winner on pace for almost 100 points while having great defensive results.
Connor Mcdavid - 59 points in 40 games, been a key driver to Edmonton's current stretch.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
And shouldn't better team support be a negative for a reward that goes to, you know, the most valuable player?

I didn't say better team support. I said better team performance. And that has always been a factor in MVP discussions. Tampa isn't even a lock to make the playoffs.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
4 of the top 5 have to be MacKinnon, Kucherov, Pastrnak and Hellebuyck at this point.

As for the 5th, there are many candidates. When it comes to a Canuck it's tough because every player in our core is having an outstanding year. I mean if a Canuck lands on the list the pick is easy: Hughes. But Hughes also has lots of help, which is my point. He's still undoubtedly Hart winner material but it won't look that way to voters I don't think.

I do think McDavid is up there, especially because his supporting cast isn't quite as hot as last year. Panarin is another one. Actually or seems like the Hart race this season may be the deepest in some time. There are many examples of one guy on a team doing exceptionally well.

1) Hughes
2) MacKinnon
3) Kucherov
4) Panarin
5) Pastrnak

McDavid probably gets in there with more games under his belt.

There are lists in this thread that don't have Hughes on them at all and I'm just at a loss.
As a Canucks fan I understand that the perception may be that despite the insane year he's having he's not MVP material because he has a lot of the top. I of course know how valuable he is but I also know what the popular perception of a Hart candidate is.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
McDavid could be in there but right now it's

MacKinnon
Kucherov
Q Hughes

Only put Hughes third because defense don't win Hart trophies, but there isn't a defenseman anywhere near him in possession and he 100% drives one of the top teams 5 on 5 play. I'd otherwise have Hughes a close second with MacKinnon 1.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I think it's safe to say that Kuch is leading this race with Mack and Helle close on his tail. McDavid at the moment doesn't even get to see their tail lights.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I'm surprised to see Petterson in any of the lists above. He has been very good this season and his point total is high, but he isn't even the MVP of his own team. Q. Hughes is by far the MVP on the Canucks, and you can argue that Demko is also ahead of Petey.

Nobody tilt the ice more than Q. Hughes on the Canucks, he dominates on both ends of the rink. He moves the puck up ice so quickly and efficiently, and his O-zone play is so elite, that all the forwards counting stats got huge boosts because of Hughes. The season he is having so far is unbelievable, I would put him in the top 3 league-wide easily.
I love EP and would gladly pay him whatever he wants but Quinn is having a special season
1) Hughes
2) MacKinnon
3) Kucherov
4) Panarin
5) Pastrnak

McDavid probably gets in there with more games under his belt.

There are lists in this thread that don't have Hughes on them at all and I'm just at a loss.
ESPN ranked Seth Jones over him in October. I don't say this as a nucks fan but the amount of shade Quinn received despite numerous records before this season is one of the more odd goings on.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Art Ross winner will win the Hart this year.

Kuch or MacK

I could see Helle or Demko getting votes.

There's a slim Outside chance McDavid goes on his typical post ASG heater to win it, but it really seems like he's been off all year and very unlikely.

Way less ice time.
The Oilers PP is terrible
Not playing much with Draisaitl
Oilers are winning with depth and team defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad