Who are your top 10 defenseman next season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
comparing defensemen by head to head scoring is dumb as hell

You forgetting the Canucks had their 3rd string goalie playing?

Like saying Forsling is better than Fox cause he outscored him head to head
Canuck’s got better goaltending than oilers that series. Substantially so.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
That was his 3rd full season in the league, if he keeps playing like he did last year after a record breaking playoffs, he will start cracking the top 3 easily.
We have to see how he does in regular season since Norris trophy is a regular season trophy. Can he consistently put up points like Hughes does in regular season? Can he improve his defense? Otherwise playoff performance is not counted when voting for Norris.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We have to see how he does in regular season since Norris trophy is a regular season trophy. Can he consistently put up points like Hughes does in regular season? Can he improve his defense? Otherwise playoff performance is not counted when voting for Norris.

If you can have those kind of playoff runs it just shows he can play big in the biggest competition you can get. His playoff numbers are bonkers.

He will get better, he is still young and only has 3 full NHL seasons under his belt.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
broke a record.

With any of those guys you'd win the cup & they'd have multiple norris trophies/records
If Bouchard doesnt hit the post in game 7 and it instead goes in we very well may have won one. Bouch just finished his third full season and is 24 years old lol acting like he isn't good because he isn't makar is funny

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
If Bouchard doesnt hit the post in game 7 and it instead goes in we very well may have won one. Bouch just finished his third full season and is 24 years old lol acting like he isn't good because he isn't makar is funny
If you're not first, you're last!

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I support this list. Edmonton fans about to be pissed though.
Nah, we are good.. Bouchard should extend for 5M x 8yrs with Edmonton because he just isn't there.

Having said that I would take Ekholm over most Dmen in these top 10 lists since it's for 'next season' only.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Canuck’s got better goaltending than oilers that series. Substantially so.

The difference was wildly overrated by Oilers fans. Silovs made some big stops but he also really struggled with a lot unscreened point shots including a number of Bouchard’s. He actually gave up 2.91 goals more than expected according to NaturalStatTrick, whereas the Oilers goalies combined gave up 1.06 goals more than expected.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
FYI, Brock Faber, a virtual look alike for McAvoy, had the exact same amount of points as him. and nearly the same amount of TOI(Faber averaged 7 seconds more). Faber had a weaker supporting cast, as Spurgeon virtually missed the entire year, and Brodin 1/4 of the year.

McAvoy also missed 8 games and had better PPG the previous two years. Faber’s underlying offensive metrics for chance generation also suggest he might not be able to sustain those points. I think he’s very good but I don’t think he deserves to be put next to McAvoy just yet

Last edited:

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
1. Makar
2. Hughes
3. Fox
4. Josi
5. Heiskanen
6. McAvoy
7. Dahlin
8. Morrissey
9. Bouchard
10. Ekholm

That Bouchard-Ekholm pairing is the best in the league.
Bouchard isn't in the same tier as Hughes even after that series.

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Too many dmen now are purely offensive
Hes a great offensive weapon, but I want to see hm do it two years without one or both of Drais or McDavid. An aging Tyson Barrie was on pace for 70 points with a worse Oilers team and running that PP getting free points.

1. Makar
2. Hughes
3. Fox
4. Josi
5. Heiskanen
6. McAvoy
7. Dahlin
8. Morrissey
9. Bouchard
10. Ekholm

That Bouchard-Ekholm pairing is the best in the league.
Bouchard isn't in the same tier as Hughes even after that series.
Ugh what?!

Makar-Toews
Pietra-Martinez
Hughes-Hronek
Fox-Lindgren
Heiskanen and anyone
Slavin-Burns
McAvoy-Gryz/Lindholm

Last edited:

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
Who said Bouchard wasn't good? Makar is better. So are those 3. Anybody who watches them play can tell you that. Those guys on Edmonton would be another level. Probably would have 2+ cups by now.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
He didnt say excellent. He said best in the league

Well it was me and I stand by it. Which pairing duos are so obviously better in your world?

Edit: I see your duos. I think you're underrating Bouchard-Ekholm since you decided to include 'Heiskanen-anyone'. We aren't talking about the best defenseman and whoever else they are with. Sorry Charlie Lindgren doesn't cut it for best duo in the league no matter how good Fox is.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Who said Bouchard wasn't good? Makar is better. So are those 3. Anybody who watches them play can tell you that. Those guys on Edmonton would be another level. Probably would have 2+ cups by now.
They all also make a lot more than 3.9M

Too many dmen now are purely offensive

Hes a great offensive weapon, but I want to see hm do it two years without one or both of Drais or McDavid. An aging Tyson Barrie was on pace for 70 points with a worse Oilers team and running that PP getting free points.

Ugh what?!

Makar-Toews
Pietra-Martinez
Hughes-Hronek
Fox-Lindgren
Heiskanen and anyone
Slavin-Burns
McAvoy-Gryz/Lindholm
But Makar doesn't have to prove he can do it without Mackinnon or Rantanen?

Look at his stats away from McDavid if you wish and compare it to Makar away from Mack

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
They were the best in the league in terms of expected goal differential last year, though it’s hard to separate that fully from McDavid
Have that list handy or is it simply doing the math for +/- combined? And yes that is a massive asterisk. We all know I could sit behind the net and give the puck to McDavid curling and I could get a point for it, let alone +/- differential. But same can be said about MacKinnon and any other superstar, albeit McDavid is the best there.

Well it was me and I stand by it. Which pairing duos are so obviously better in your world?

Edit: I see your duos. I think you're underrating Bouchard-Ekholm since you decided to include 'Heiskanen-anyone'. We aren't talking about the best defenseman and whoever else they are with. Sorry Charlie Lindgren doesn't cut it for best duo in the league no matter how good Fox is.
I mainly put Heiskanen and anyone because he split time with Hurley and Suter, but heiskanen is sooooo good defensively, he can carry anyone. Many of those pairings one dman is dramatically better than his pairing, but as far as playing actual defense I'd take all of those over Bouchard-Ekholm.

Makar/Toews is IMO the best pairing in the league and the gap isnt really close to any other because Toews is much closer to Makar (top 15 IMO overall) than any other 1-2 duo.

If were purely looking at offense, then it gets skewed real quick.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Nah, we are good.. Bouchard should extend for 5M x 8yrs with Edmonton because he just isn't there.

Having said that I would take Ekholm over most Dmen in these top 10 lists since it's for 'next season' only.
I would not take Ekholm over most these top 10 dman. Josi, Makar, Hughes, Fox and Heiskenin are better overall and more dynamic. Even Mcavoy, Hedman and Slavin are better too. Ekholm might be just outside of top 10 but probably top 15.

Reactions: geebster

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Have that list handy or is it simply doing the math for +/- combined? And yes that is a massive asterisk. We all know I could sit behind the net and give the puck to McDavid curling and I could get a point for it, let alone +/- differential. But same can be said about MacKinnon and any other superstar, albeit McDavid is the best there.

I mainly put Heiskanen and anyone because he split time with Hurley and Suter, but heiskanen is sooooo good defensively, he can carry anyone. Many of those pairings one dman is dramatically better than his pairing, but as far as playing actual defense I'd take all of those over Bouchard-Ekholm.

Makar/Toews is IMO the best pairing in the league and the gap isnt really close to any other because Toews is much closer to Makar (top 15 IMO overall) than any other 1-2 duo.

Here’s a snapshot from moneypuck of the top 25 pairings in xGF% with at least 400 minutes together.

IMG_7404.jpeg

Should be noted that Edmonton had pretty dominant xGF% numbers overall and their other two pairings are both also on the list

Reactions: Oak

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019

I agree about Makar Toews for overall best pair.

Context does play a role though, I think for what Edmonton needs Bouchard/Ekholm is perfect. Ekholm does all the right things away from the puck and Bouchard knows how to support the play without having to be a primary target.

For fit on their team Bouchard and Ekholm would rate pretty high. Probably higher than Hughes Hronek. But for just raw ability and which 2 are the best pair without factoring in the team, Makar Toews is the best. Hughes might be enough to put his pair above Edmonton's as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad