Bergeron
Fox
Sakic
Zetterberg
Larionov
Lidstrom
Fedorov
P Kane (only when playing hockey)
I don’t know about Syd as a youngster but I think he’s very much there now.

Dahlin could be in here in time, his level of deception is off the charts.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Andrei Markov and Sergei Gonchar. Two Russian defensemen.

Both absolute generals from the backend who controlled the game with their mind more so than their physical talents.

Their eloquent manipulation of the opposition was always a treat to watch.

It's a joy to see players dissect and make plays from nothing. Those two were top 10 defenseman of their era.

Hockey at its best is not speed of feet or speed of hands, it is the speed of the mind that shines brightest.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Kucherov and his timing. He brings NHL pace down to beer league level

Adam Fox shoutout as well. In the most unspectacular way yet at an elite level, he can direct play based on his vision, patience, head fakes and feet deception

Crosby in current time does tons of little things that eliminate the "grinding" aspect for him and his linemates

In the past, I can't not mention the Sedins. Never the skated fastest and never shot the hardest. Man they could stir up the drink in the offensive zone. They'll make it look like they run out of space but in doing so they've just opened up a massive unmanned portion of ice where they would send no-look, tape-to-tape back door saucer passes to

Reactions: authentic

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Mitch Marner has unreal vision on the ice. He doesn't have a great shot, he's not big but he can find guys with a pass that not many players can do.

He struggles in the playoffs to do this consistently and get's memed, but there's a reason he puts up 90 points+ yearly.

Last edited:

wired14

Jan 28, 2008
I’ll throw out a bit of an odd one but I’ll say Jason Allison. Watching him handle the puck and skate was horrifying. Especially near the end of his career, he looked like he had no knees left. He still managed a point per game and I always attributed that to being able to make the right plays at the right time despite a lack of elite, or even good, basic skills.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Stone is probably the smartest forward I've watched.

Leading the league in takeaways for years despite not being able to skate says it all really.
Yeah, I'd definitely put Mark Stone on this list. He's a slow skater and he really doesn't have much of an outside shot, but he consistently makes a high percentage of smart plays. One of those "always in the right place at the right time doing the right thing" sort of guys despite his other serious limitations.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
This typically implies high-end two-way players. I would say Bergeron maybe? As a Sabres fan, Samson is someone with no high-end traits but is always in the right spot, and obviously knows how to finish.

I have high hopes for Jack Quinn, he is cerebral. His start this season is concerning though.
Maurice has commented many times about rhino’s incredible hockey sense.
(approximately 4 minutes in)

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Brett Hull and Marc Savard. How they accomplished what they did is still a mystery to me as neither was fast, tough, able to deke... just on ice intelligence to create space.
I don't know if I ever saw Bergeron out of position. Guy could read the game.
Gretzky is GOAT for on ice intelligence.

Defensively - Bourque and Lidstrom stick out. - perfect angles.

Goaltending - Turco and Brodeur. Those two created rule changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad