Which top ten NHL cities are the most hockey crazy right now?

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
During the playoffs everyone was talking Rangers on the radio
In the other markets, that’s a year round thing. And the kids are playing on ponds/lakes, and they follow collegiate and HS/Junior hockey too. NYC is still a Knicks town.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I'm happy I'm living in Toronto. I love hockey and you can still meet a lot of people here that love, breathe, eat the sport.

In comparison I lived in Boston for 3 years. I rarely got to talk about hockey with people. Baseball is still #1. Even when The Patriots were winning superbowls, baseball was still everything to most people.

It's a great city, and it's totally cool to see people loving baseball. The Bruins are generally on page 6 of the Boston Globe newspaper.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Pyongyang, Bettman needs to get in on that sweet sweet North Korean market.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Damn that sucks. Imagine only talking about the most boring sport in NA.
I'm not a big fan. Especially when you consider that there are only 2 active players (pitcher & catcher), and the very best hitters only reach base 30% of the time.

Reactions: Coffey

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Data from June of 2024

Chicago
Boston
Pittsburgh
Detroit
Montreal
New York
Toronto
Philadelphia
Vancouver
Los Angeles

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009

Data from June of 2024

Chicago
Boston
Pittsburgh
Detroit
Montreal
New York
Toronto
Philadelphia
Vancouver
Los Angeles
Does it account for Montreal fans being split into English and French languages? Chicago having "2.5M fans" and Montreal having "1.5M fans" seems strange. Montreal is extremely popular in most away arenas and has fans, Canada wide.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Does it account for Montreal fans being split into English and French languages? Chicago having "2.5M fans" and Montreal having "1.5M fans" seems strange. Montreal is extremely popular in most away arenas and has fans, Canada wide.
It looks based on social media presence. I think the older teams are going to have a portion of unaccounted for fans due to age and lack of social media.

You’ll likely never get an exact amount. You have the social media presence vs. The “trust me bro” presence.

Social media presence will be flawed
Operating income will be flawed
Fan opinion will be flawed

Reactions: danisonfire

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Baseball is boring? No way

For me NHL Hockey is number 1 obviously and MLB Baseball is number 2.

Here in LA it's Lakers/Dodgers country!!!!

There are so many articles on this trend. Baseball is dying. And while there was a slight bump from the rules change, the sport is heading for an age cliff. There are more fans dying than being replaced. There biz model is terrible and I don't see them reversing the problem. Contraction at some point...15-20 years.

You can't continue to have teams be farm teams for the few teams that can sustain payrolls.

It is an unsustainable model. Tampa fans are furious right now as they sold off almost everyone. I would not be surprised to see the new ballpark never completed and the team relocated. Fans are done here.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Buffalo had the best TV ratings in the country for like 7 years after the Sabres' last playoff run. Now that the drought is at 13 years a lot of fans have had the NHL passion ground out of them. The general hockey passion is there and could be re-ignited by a winning team though.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Ok i started the thread so i feel obligated to do my own list.

1,Toronto
2,Montreal
3,Chicago
4,Edmonton
5,Vancouver
6,Pittsburgh
7,Boston
8,Detroit
9,Calgary
10,Winnipeg

Is followed Close by Minnesota,Philadelphia,New york.
If you base interest on attendance, Winnipeg was 31st in attendance last year. The top 10 in attendance were:
1. Montreal
2. Edmonton
3. Tampa Bay
4. Detroit
5. Chicago
6. Vancouver
7. Carolina
8. Toronto
9. Florida
10. Dallas

Granted, the arena capacity can skew the results as they may all have sold-out crowds but some arenas are larger than others.

If you base it on fan interest, then I would think all of the Cdn markets because hockey is our thing and there's not a lot of other competition + the remaining teams from the Original 6 (Boston, Chicago, Detroit, NYR). From that perspective, I'd say:
1. Toronto
2. Montreal
3. Edmonton
4. Vancouver
5. Detroit
6. Chicago
7. Boston
8. NYR
9-11. Tie between Winnipeg, Calgary and Ottawa

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Why are people putting Vancouver in this list? Everytime I go there it seems like the Canucks are an afterthought.

Pre-2011 riots the buzz for the Canucks was great in Vancouver. It has never been quite the same since. Even with the most recent playoff run.

They are still the main team in Vancouver, but a combination of interest waning, riots souring the image, being bad for a while, and demographics changing even more, it just isn't the same hype around them imo. Hopefully that will change with the team getting good again, and hopefully last season wasn't a flash in the pan.

Reactions: yzerman

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Baseball is a lot of fun to play, but boring to watch.

The broadcasts are horrifically amateurish. They always pit some cliche of a baseball voice with some ex player and that results in insufferable yammering on of all sorts of nonsense just to fill air time. And what’s particularly bludgeoning to the audience is the constant fawning over the special nuances of managing bullpens. OK, we get it. You go to your bullpen in the 4th inning because managers believe that’s a good decision.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
What do you guys think is the top 10 most hockey crazy cities in the NHL right now?

i think Detroit has fallen big time last years maybe out of top ten?and how is the interest right now in Toronto? question to supporters that live there is this the hottest hockey has ever been for the team in Toronto or Close?

It is August none should be hockey crazy

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
The Leafs have the most fans, but Toronto the city isn't very hockey crazed at the moment.

I think that per capita Hockey is Probably more popular in Edmonton, especially coming off their playoff run and not having Basketball or Baseball teams.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Vegas probably should be high on the list since the Golden Knights are much more popular than the local NFL franchise, which probably doesn't happen often (most of the Raiders fans come over from California), and of course winning the Cup turned the City into absolutely nutso about hockey. The Silver Knights are amazingly popular too, for reasons that I really can't figure out except that the seats are a lot cheaper, but they are.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Canadian cities plus northern US markets

Why is Carolina being overlooked? It’s based in Raleigh, not Charlotte, so it’s not even the largest city in the state. It’s embraced its hockey team so much that it has blended tailgating (college football) with their NHL team. How many NHL cities do that?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
In the other markets, that’s a year round thing. And the kids are playing on ponds/lakes, and they follow collegiate and HS/Junior hockey too. NYC is still a Knicks town.
The Yankees Mets Giants and Jets are all well ahead of the Knicks in terms of local interest in NYC even if the Knicks are ahead of the Rangers. NYC will follow any of its teams leading the pack in any sport but despite having three teams in the area hockey remains somehwat of an afterthought to most of the casual area sports fans. I wish it was a bigger deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad