Speculation: Which teams would realistically be able and willing to sign Draisaitl if he didn't sign in Edmonton?

Maria Sharapova

Jun 4, 2010
I will be super impressed if he stays in Edmonton on a long term deal, McDavid as well. I feel contracts are more than thinking you can win with a team if he values winning that much Oilers fans should be over joyed.

In Drai’s case re-signing means disregarding the following 1. factoring in his family who lives in Germany so he’s basically 10 hours time difference making communication a nightmare. 2. Living in Edmonton, Edmonton is a okay city but there is very little night life / things to do. Him and his Wife don’t seem to give off quiet home living type. Sure you can make anywhere a suitable home but I feel they will want more to do with the huge contract 3. They have unappealing weather winters in Edmonton are no joke basically making people bunker in their homes and they don’t get a lot of daytime light.

This is a lot to disregard imo, and I get more Tavares before he left islanders from the sound bites he’s given so far. He said he loves playing for the oilers and his team but he hasn’t really been vocal about loving the place. I have a hunch he’s going to end up in Boston or a similar east coast team.

Reactions: harv33173 and D1az

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I will be super impressed if he stays in Edmonton on a long term deal, McDavid as well. I feel contracts are more than thinking you can win with a team if he values winning that much Oilers fans should be over joyed.

In Drai’s case re-signing means disregarding the following 1. factoring in his family who lives in Germany so he’s basically 10 hours time difference making communication a nightmare. 2. Living in Edmonton, Edmonton is a okay city but there is very little night life / things to do. Him and his Wife don’t seem to give off quiet home living type. Sure you can make anywhere a suitable home but I feel they will want more to do with the huge contract 3. They have unappealing weather winters in Edmonton are no joke basically making people bunker in their homes and they don’t get a lot of daytime light.

This is a lot to disregard imo, and I get more Tavares before he left islanders from the sound bites he’s given so far. He said he loves playing for the oilers and his team but he hasn’t really been vocal about loving the place. I have a hunch he’s going to end up in Boston or a similar east coast team.
Edmonton isn’t a desirable place to live but it’s also overblown for professional athletes. If a team is willing to overpay you and give you $13+ million/year than you can suck it up for the few months that you have to be there. These guys spend a lot of time on the road and can vacation for a few months after the season is over.

I wouldn’t be shocked if he leaves, but also wouldn’t be shocked if he stays. Boston can also have some pretty terrible winters

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Edmonton isn’t a desirable place to live but it’s also overblown for professional athletes. If a team is willing to overpay you and give you $13+ million/year than you can suck it up for the few months that you have to be there. These guys spend a lot of time on the road and can vacation for a few months after the season is over.

I wouldn’t be shocked if he leaves, but also wouldn’t be shocked if he stays. Boston can also have some pretty terrible winters
Life in Edmonton for a professional athlete is probably harder on the wives then the player. At least the player is spending a chunk of the season on the road while the wife is stuck in -20 for 3 months of the season. Despite that, it's a great city to raise a family so some players might prefer that.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Life in Edmonton for a professional athlete is probably harder on the wives then the player. At least the player is spending a chunk of the season on the road while the wife is stuck in -20 for 3 months of the season. Despite that, it's a great city to raise a family so some players might prefer that.
Depends on the wife honestly, I am sure quite a few of them travel to see family during the winter months. They are far less restricted than most. Biggest issue I see is if they want or pursue an independent career or be a “house wife”.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

This is naive, at the income bracket these people are in, the wifeys can go hop on a plane and travel first class any time they want. They can have vacation homes that they can visit in season in California, be at 5 star resort in Mexico, etc. etc. any time they want. Bringing their friends, family members along too? No problem. No fuss. They can go on vacation hauls on Rodeo Drive, etc. etc.

If they want to be around hubby the Oilers have multiple trips every year, want to go to Florida, the Oilers do that trip, multiple trips to California and Vegas every year, if they wifey wants to join it's not a big issue.

The truth is the wife of a pro athlete is hitting the jackpot, figuratively and literally. There are a million other pretty girls who would deep down dump their significant other to be in that situation if given a realistic choice.

When your husband/boyfriend is making $2+ million a year, let alone $8 million, let alone $12 million, there's no reason for you to feel like you're "stuck" anywhere. For starters, odds are you have multiple homes in multiple cities, if not booking a luxury mansion anywhere via Air BnB is no problem.

The problem is when the wife is American IMO. They will always compare everything to America and even if they "like" Canada, it will never really be home. There will be pressure from family members to "come home". Canada is always "bizarro America" to them. But when the gal is Canadian ... it's all good.

Last edited:

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
IMO this is a brutal situation for Edmonton. Drai summer of 25 and McDavid summer of 26.
Both have NMC's and both are going to get massive increases in pay.
Nate Mac and Matthews both signed deals, that account for roughly 15% of the cap.
In comparison currently McDavid accounts for 15.72 and Drai 11.33

I can see Drai's agent asking for a contract at 15-16% of the cap, and McDavid at 17-18% of the cap.
If either get to UFA, those percentages might increase.
Assuming that the cap does increase to 93mil next summer, you are looking at roughly 14-15 million for Drai
If it increases, per projecting, to 98 mil in the summer of 26, you are looking at 16.5-17.5 mil for McDavid.

I would make this statement, if Edmonton wins the cup next season, I think both will leave Edmonton with they hit UFA.
Just too much money that is out there, and to many other cities where they will not lose out on the tax rates.

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
IMO this is a brutal situation for Edmonton. Drai summer of 25 and McDavid summer of 26.
Nate Mac and Matthews both signed deals, that account for roughly 15% of the cap.

I can see Drai's agent asking for a contract at 15-16% of the cap, and McDavid at 17-18% of the cap.
Assuming that the cap does increase to 93mil next summer, you are looking at roughly 14-15 million for Drai
If it increases, per projecting, to 98 mil in the summer of 26, you are looking at 16.5-17.5 mil for McDavid.

I would make this statement, if Edmonton wins the cup next season, I think both will leave Edmonton with they hit UFA.
Just too much money that is out there, and to many other cities where they will not lose out on the tax rates.
Does anyone else feel like Draisaitl might end up 'Tavares'ing whoever he goes to (set a huge contract precedent on a younger team that ultimately ruins their cap situation).

Reactions: Ignatius

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I do wonder if the only reason Edmonton hired Bowman was because they know Drai/McDavid aren’t re-signing and no other GM was willing to take on the job.

What other GM would want to captain the ship of a team losing two generational talents?

Reactions: harv33173

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Without looking at any of this thread... he's not leaving. Highly doubt mcdavid does either. They were one win away.

From a Leaf fan... who would love either of them on my team but I'm not going to pretend that's going to happen.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

vocks10

Jan 28, 2011
Fairbanks, AK

I just want to point out for the last few years the narrative has always been McDrai will leave Edmonton because they have to leave to win a cup. I was curious when the narrative would start that if they win a cup then they will leave because they can chase the bigger payday since they've won. Thought it might have occurred in June, but alas it did not. Damned if you do, damned if you don't facing the Oilers now. Maybe losing in the final is the perfect balance to keeping those two around?

And really, either or could be true. At the end of the day we have no idea what these guys are thinking. It's just fun to hang out on HFBoards and enjoy the opposite opinions we all have!

Reactions: TurgPavs

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I just want to point out for the last few years the narrative has always been McDrai will leave Edmonton because they have to leave to win a cup. I was curious when the narrative would start that if they win a cup then they will leave because they can chase the bigger payday since they've won. Thought it might have occurred in June, but alas it did not. Damned if you do, damned if you don't facing the Oilers now. Maybe losing in the final is the perfect balance to keeping those two around?

And really, either or could be true. At the end of the day we have no idea what these guys are thinking. It's just fun to hang out on HFBoards and enjoy the opposite opinions we all have!
I genuinely think if they won/win the cup they wouldn’t leave. Why would they? Their legacies would be cemented.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Capitals should have the cap space with Backstrom, Oshie, Mangiapaine and Chychrun's contract running out.

Chychrun might be resigned if he does well.

Still Caps have just about 25 mill to sign for before accounting for an increased cap next year.

8 forwards signed and Lapierre will be bridged around 2-3 mill I guess then you have Leonard, Miroschnichenko who will get spots next year. So thats 11 forwards then you have other players that might make the team next year in Parascak, Funk or Cristall.

Defencemen 5 are signed for next year and Alexeyev and Chychrun will probably make it 7.

They will need to spend on a goalie (Either resign Lindgren or look elsewhere).

Still a team that have the cap space for Draisatl. A lot of younger players entering and improving the team. The most important thing is how well Chychrun and PLD works out in Washington. If they play at their best here Caps will be a good team and attractive for free agents.

Then they can sign McDavid the year after to replace Ovechkin's+Carlson's wages.

Reactions: harv33173

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Capitals should have the cap space with Backstrom, Oshie, Mangiapaine and Chychrun's contract running out.

Chychrun might be resigned if he does well.

Still Caps have just about 25 mill to sign for before accounting for an increased cap next year.

8 forwards signed and Lapierre will be bridged around 2-3 mill I guess then you have Leonard, Miroschnichenko who will get spots next year. So thats 11 forwards then you have other players that might make the team next year in Parascak, Funk or Cristall.

Defencemen 5 are signed for next year and Alexeyev and Chychrun will probably make it 7.

They will need to spend on a goalie (Either resign Lindgren or look elsewhere).

Still a team that have the cap space for Draisatl. A lot of younger players entering and improving the team. The most important thing is how well Chychrun and PLD works out in Washington. If they play at their best here Caps will be a good team and attractive for free agents.

Then they can sign McDavid the year after to replace Ovechkin's+Carlson's wages.
Thanks for the laugh.

I do wonder if the only reason Edmonton hired Bowman was because they know Drai/McDavid aren’t re-signing and no other GM was willing to take on the job.

What other GM would want to captain the ship of a team losing two generational talents?
If the Oilers knew Drai wasn't re-signing, we would be hearing about it.

There's really no secrets anymore when it comes to this stuff

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
Oilers ship and both Mcdavid and Drai take discounts and become the new Malkin and Crosby while EDM goes on to win 2-3 more ships.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
The Oilers also have a high end dmen in their 4 also which is something the Leafs haven’t had in years. If Toronto redistributed Marner or Tavares salary into an elite dmen they would probably be better off but they’ve insisted on spending that cap all on forwards.
4 soft as butter forwards I might add.

myleafs

May 25, 2021

Nothing against Edmonton but comparing Boston to Edmonton?.....lets ask his wife which she would prefer.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yes
You are using the overall value of the contract as your "Career Earnings", however deduct, 13.5% for escrow, 3-4% for agent fee's, and roughly 45-51% all inclusive Tax rate.
Most CPA/Tax advisors, forecast that for every 1,000,000 in NHL Contracts, the actual earnings after tax, fees, escrow, is roughly 395,000 - 410,000.

So yeah Leon is losing quite a bit by playing in a non-tax state, over the course of his career.
Escrow is 6%, been like that last 2 seasons, and next 2 seasons moving forward, is 6%

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7
    Staked: $30,494.00