Speculation: Which teams would realistically be able and willing to sign Draisaitl if he didn't sign in Edmonton?

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Flyers will offer a max $ and term just to show the fanbase they "tried". They have zero shot of acquiring him though being the gold standard of the NHL you never know!!!

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Almost every team in the league would make moves to clear cap space to sign him.
Top 5 player that happens to be a known playoff producer, center never makes it to the open market, that’s why he will and should command a shit ton of money. I think there will be teams lining up to give him 15+, every playoff contender would pay to clear out cap if Drai is willing to sign.

Reactions: thadd

Bond

May 10, 2012
Leafs. Tavares and Marner off the books. Leafs need a 2nd top6 C. Drai has a cottage in Muskoka where he lives in the summer. Guessing his Fiance will want to stay in the GTA.

Knies Draisaitl Nylander
Domi Matthews Cowan
I’d imagine they’d wait on the chance McDavid wants to go there

Gaud

May 11, 2017
This isn't a knock on the Oilers and just something I wonder about "logistically" when a player who potentially is this expensive comes up at this point.
Especially as I'm in general really bad at reading and understanding potential trades.

Undoubtedly every team would love to have a guy like him, but which team would within this timeline actually be well suited, without throwing other parts of the team into chaos, say by sacrificing their top defensive line? And also have the money, or ability to move players to get that money?
I think this thread would be smaller if you asked who wouldn't try to sign Drai. I can see the habs sign him, kind of like NYR did with Panarin. I dont think Drai would want to play in Mtl the way Panarin did in NYR

Reactions: zeeto and HabsQC

D1az

Oct 29, 2009
Finland
I think this thread would be smaller if you asked who wouldn't try to sign Drai. I can see the habs sign him, kind of like NYR did with Panarin. I dont think Drai would want to play in Mtl the way Panarin did in NYR

Given how expensive I think everyone expects him to be, and that McDavid is potentially on the horizon as well, I sort of expected the list to be on the shorter side.
I assumed that already the price would have put a lot of teams in a situation where they wouldn't exchange contracts with anyone, and also didn't have an interest in completely rebuilding their lines.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec

Yeah exactly there's so many teams who would want to sign him that I doubt he chooses Montreal, as much as I would love it. Our best bet would be to trade foe him at the deadline with an extension in place, which again I highly doubt would happen.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Realistically? I'll say 15-20 teams. When a player like this becomes UFA, teams will do what it takes if that player wants to sign with them.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
This isn't a knock on the Oilers and just something I wonder about "logistically" when a player who potentially is this expensive comes up at this point.
Especially as I'm in general really bad at reading and understanding potential trades.

Undoubtedly every team would love to have a guy like him, but which team would within this timeline actually be well suited, without throwing other parts of the team into chaos, say by sacrificing their top defensive line? And also have the money, or ability to move players to get that money?

Another factor, and perhaps the most important one, is where would he be willing to sign? Multiple teams would have room to fit him in, but would Draisaitl want to sign in Toronto? I have my doubts.

NYR? Definitely a place he'd likely want to go. Everyone does.
LA? His fiancé is an actress. Likely to be very appealing.
Florida? The just won the cup and have low taxes. A possibility.

I think most Canadian teams other than the Oilers are off his list. Very few are close to winning or have media/fans who don't make players uncomfortable. Drai puts up with the media here but doesn't like them.

Odds are the Oilers sign him anyway. Whatever the number they'll say yes and just make room elsewhere.

Captain34

Sep 18, 2019
I think listing a number of teams that won't be interested in signing him would be an easier task. I am sure many, if not most, teams that don't have cap space today will find a way to make room for Leon, one of the greatest playoffs performer of our generation.

Reactions: TFHockey

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Given how expensive I think everyone expects him to be, and that McDavid is potentially on the horizon as well, I sort of expected the list to be on the shorter side.
I assumed that already the price would have put a lot of teams in a situation where they wouldn't exchange contracts with anyone, and also didn't have an interest in completely rebuilding their lines.
hey , you could be right. What do i know? lol

The sense i have though is that if you can get Drai, you just dump stuff to make it work. I dont know if he is still considered a top 5 C in the league without McJesus, but definitely good enough to change your team. I think as per the OP, everyone would be willing and would be "able" to make it work by dumping things.

I am not sure i agree that teams would pass on Drai in the hopes of getting McDavid one year later. Unless you knew for sure he was coming over, i dont know how that would be a realistic approach.

All that being said, signing Drai probably gets my habs in the playoffs.

Slaf - Drai - Caufield
Dach - Suzuki - Demidov

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
when has dundon ever paid a top 5 league salary? would he? no. never.
The right guy hasn’t come along yet. Canes need a C to push Staal down to 3rd line. Leon D is a better player than Aho, so paying him appropriately wouldn’t cause internal issues.

The Canes will likely make a very competitive offer. Another team might get him with mass overpay though.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
The right guy hasn’t come along yet. Canes need a C to push Staal down to 3rd line. Leon D is a better player than Aho, so paying him appropriately wouldn’t cause internal issues.

The Canes will likely make a very competitive offer. Another team might get him with mass overpay though.
Canes aren't going to outbid anyone. Is that a better way to phrase it?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The Oilers insider has been hinting at Draisaitls contract being 13.25 x 8 so if we say 13.5 x 8 that’s a total value of 108M.

I’m sure Leon has a list of preferred destinations if he’s signing somewhere long term but is he willing to make considerably less to do so? A 14 x 7 which would be a higher AAV then Oilers at 13.5 would still only result in a total value of 98M. Is Leon willing to leave 10M on the table? If a team wants to match Oilers contract they’d have to be at 15.5M and a team that might not be on his preferred destination list is probably having to go over 16 just to get his consideration.

Oilers have a substantial advantage in the combination of money and team competitiveness that they can offer.

If it's evident hes leaving, Oilers can trade his rights and the acquiring team could go 8 years.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Wonder if a Marner/Draisaitl swap might be in play for both teams if its evident Drai doesn't want to stay in Edm.

8 X 11.5 for Marner
8 X 13.5 for Drai

• Haha
Reactions: Shark Finn

Ad

Ad

Ad