Speculation: Which teams would realistically be able and willing to sign Draisaitl if he didn't sign in Edmonton?

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I am aware of that, hence “next season”.
That’s a lot of young relatively unproven talent, it’s bold to assume they all hit and become a contender that quickly.

Add in the bottom 6, the defence and the goaltending. Would be like winning the lottery for Montreal to be a contender that quickly
Actually I agree in that wildcard is realistic but they would become a legit contender in the first few years of the contract

Like I said before they have great depth and solid D with the exception of a true elite #1D, would like to see an upgrade there somehow. Goaltending is not that much of an issue imo

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Actually I agree in that wildcard is realistic but they would become a legit contender in the first few years of the contract

Like I said before they have great depth and solid D with the exception of a true elite #1D, would like to see an upgrade there somehow. Goaltending is not that much of an issue imo
I guess looking at the currently trajectory of teams in the league, Montreal could catch their stride when the current top teams are declining. Maybe a contending status isn’t as outlandish as I first thought but I would still be apprehensive.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I guess looking at the currently trajectory of teams in the league, Montreal could catch their stride when the current top teams are declining. Maybe a contending status isn’t as outlandish as I first thought but I would still be apprehensive.
Brother I am just hoping for the best because it’s all I can do lmao

Prospects won’t all hit of course but if somehow Slaf, Demidov, Hutson, Reinbacher, Fowler all hit their potential with the addition of Draisaitl we are in business

Reactions: Three On Zero

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
A young team that has had a few recent highish picks would probably be the best bet. If there's anyone with good defense and solid goaltending and good depth forwards without a real star. Any team that is already established is probably going to have to blow up the team to sign him unless another high price star is a UFA and the cap goes up that summer.

Dallas has 40M in cap space next season, but some of that will go to Johnston, Harley and Oettinger. With Benn and Lindells contract coming off, and guys like Stankoven, Bourque and Bischel ELC being cheap, they could afford Draisaitl. Doubt they go after him, but it's doable for Dallas.

Reactions: lwvs84

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Dallas has 40M in cap space next season, but some of that will go to Johnston, Harley and Oettinger. With Benn and Lindells contract coming off, and guys like Stankoven, Bourque and Bischel ELC being cheap, they could afford Draisaitl. Doubt they go after him, but it's doable for Dallas.
They might be able to, Robertson will need a new contract in... 3 years? There will probably be some good top 6/top 4 players in the Dallas system but probably no one outside if Robertson that'll require massive money soon. Heiskanen is the only other big money guy and he's already signed long term.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
I think Toronto would be interested to have him as their second line center
If Toronto senses Draisaitl is going to walk, I am guessing they are going to wait a year and offer that money to Connor as there is no chance Connor is staying if Draisaitl is gone

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I could see Montreal taking a serious run at him. They'll have a ton of cap space going into next off season and all of their major players are locked in to long term deals. Even better for them, Anderson's contract is very buyout friendly.

Bit ironic if that happened given the rumor of both Edmonton and Montreal talking about a deal surrounding Draisaitl (before he broke out) and Subban.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Not trying to knock Demidov at all, but I don't think any rookie player who has yet to play any NHL games turns anyone into an instant contender.
I mean Draisaitl's name is obviously doing the heavy lifting there but I expect Demidov to be a top 6 forward right away

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
With a years notice any team could figure it out. If you have to lose a trade to make room so he if

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Except a contending team, Drai wouldn't be going to a rebuilding team. Even though Boston signed Lindholm, I think he's a great fit there.
While it's very, very unlikely he'd sign in Montreal, they would absolutely be contenders with him.

Caufield - Draisaitl - Demidov
Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Dach

That's a loaded top 6. They have good depth pieces already with Newhook, Roy, and guys like Beck and Kapanen coming sooner than later. Then if Hage develops well, we have another guy who should be an outstanding middle 6 guy.

The defence is largely unproven, but has an excellent mix with:

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Barron
Harris/Struble

Goaltending is looking fairly solid too.

I hate to say it, but Boston seems like the best and most likely spot if he does walk.

Reactions: FONZIE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad