Speculation: Which teams would realistically be able and willing to sign Draisaitl if he didn't sign in Edmonton?

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Except a contending team, Drai wouldn't be going to a rebuilding team. Even though Boston signed Lindholm, I think he's a great fit there.
Montreal with Drai becomes a contending team very quickly, rebuild is over after next summer with his addition

Slafkovsky - Draisaitl - Demidov
Dach - Suzuki - Caufield

Nasty ass top 6 right there

Agreed about Boston though, they should have done the Drai + Nurse for McAvoy + Ullmark trade you proposed

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
There's some Montreal podcasts that have been pencilling in his contract for about a year now lol.

They have a lot of money coming off the books and bringing in Demidov + Draisaitl in a single season would basically turn them into contenders right away imo (assuming their current youth continues progressing similar to how they have in the last two years)

If he goes to market, there will be more suitors than we currently see on the surface
Not trying to knock Demidov at all, but I don't think any rookie player who has yet to play any NHL games turns anyone into an instant contender.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
"I'm going to take my talents to a never ending rebuilding team" - not something Drai would say

Reactions: Pip

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I don't know the guy, but he seems to want to win. I'm guessing he'll take less than max to get there, perhaps around $12M.

Teams that could pay $12M and are actually competing (unlike Ducks, Montreal, Toronto etc), Florida, but they have Bob for another year after this. Florida likely isn't going to pay him more than $10M anyway, to keep a salary structure.

Dallas could make a pitch with Benn's deal dropping off next off-season.

There's really not many competing clubs that can actually afford the guy.

• Haha
Reactions: T REX and 5 14 6 1

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
he was drafted by a never ending rebuilding team, he probably has confidence he can elevate a different one as well

They won McLottery a year after his draft, lol, and he's built that "never ending rebuilding team" into a game 7 of a Cup Final team.

Now would be the dumbest time possible to leave, you've worked that hard to get there, you might as well now enjoy the fruits of that work in having built a top end team with a culture that's so good players are jumping to sign there at a discount.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Most top D are in 9.0-10.5 range right now. You can get a 1C for 10m. Maybe it's like 2 extra million on the cap but that's nothing.
In today’s climate, I think that is possible for UFAs if you can get that eighth year (ie they’re already with you). Otherwise, a 1D + 1C at $20M is likely the minimum. Again though, allocating $18M to one player is still super-limiting and something I wouldn’t want to go for.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
This is always fun but its the NHL so he will stay in EDM instead of going for max money elsewhere

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This is always fun but its the NHL so and he will stay in EDM instead of going for max money elsewhere

Edmonton can offer more money than anyone else anyway because of the 8th year they can offer.

For another team to match lets say 13x8 from Edmonton for example they would have to offer 14.8x7 (a cap hit almost 2 million higher).

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Edmonton can offer more money than anyone else anyway because of the 8th year they can offer.

For another team to match lets say 13x8 from Edmonton for example they would have to offer 14.8x7 (a cap hit almost 2 million higher).
That’s true, if he never plays another game, but that’s not likely.
So even he gets 7 million somewhere in year 8, it’s still not terrible.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Montreal with Drai becomes a contending team very quickly, rebuild is over after next summer with his addition

Dach - Suzuki - Caufield

Agreed about Boston though, they should have done the Drai + Nurse for McAvoy + Ullmark trade you proposed
The top 6 doesn't end the rebuild. How's the rest of the team look?

That’s true, if he never plays another game, but that’s not likely.
So even he gets 7 million somewhere in year 8, it’s still not terrible.
Why risk it when you can take the guarantee? If he's unhappy after 5 years he can ask for a trade

Except a contending team, Drai wouldn't be going to a rebuilding team. Even though Boston signed Lindholm, I think he's a great fit there.
They don't really have the space to sign him. 61m committed to 9 players next year. Marchand and Swayman still need contracts. That's about 75M for 11 players. Have to fill the other 12 roster spots with 17M

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Leafs. Tavares and Marner off the books. Leafs need a 2nd top6 C. Drai has a cottage in Muskoka where he lives in the summer. Guessing his Fiance will want to stay in the GTA.

Knies Draisaitl Nylander
Domi Matthews Cowan
Not going to happen, need to save the space for McDavid the next year.

• Haha
Reactions: Duke74

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I would say the Canes. They've got a TON of cap after this season with Anderson, Burns, Orlov, Kuzy, Fast, Roslovic all coming off. As of right now before they sign Jarvis (Possibly Necas) They sit with 38+ mil in space after this year.
when has dundon ever paid a top 5 league salary? would he? no. never.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
The top 6 doesn't end the rebuild. How's the rest of the team look?
Wasn’t implying that it did, rest of the team looks good minus the absence of an elite #1D. Tons of depth and young players on cheap contracts.

Goaltending is a question but we have very strong prospects in Fowler and Dobes, even Montembault could be good if he has a decent team in front of him

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
if Drai takes way less than the max...can we please close the tax thread forever?

I don't know the guy, but he seems to want to win. I'm guessing he'll take less than max to get there, perhaps around $12M.

Teams that could pay $12M and are actually competing (unlike Ducks, Montreal, Toronto etc), Florida, but they have Bob for another year after this. Florida likely isn't going to pay him more than $10M anyway, to keep a salary structure.

Dallas could make a pitch with Benn's deal dropping off next off-season.

There's really not many competing clubs that can actually afford the guy.
I'll take that bet...$12 mill? BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
A young team that has had a few recent highish picks would probably be the best bet. If there's anyone with good defense and solid goaltending and good depth forwards without a real star. Any team that is already established is probably going to have to blow up the team to sign him unless another high price star is a UFA and the cap goes up that summer.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
Vegas is going to have about 30 million to spend next summer depending on if they extend Theodore/Hill. Only major need is in net. ;)

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Dach - Suzuki - Caufield

That’d be a wildcard team at best next season

Vegas is going to have about 30 million to spend next summer depending on if they extend Theodore/Hill. Only major need is in net. ;)
Don’t forget to add in the usual LTIR space :sarcasm:

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Draisaitl isn’t a UFA until after next season, also no it wouldn’t lmao
I am aware of that, hence “next season”.
That’s a lot of young relatively unproven talent, it’s bold to assume they all hit and become a contender that quickly.

Add in the bottom 6, the defence and the goaltending. Would be like winning the lottery for Montreal to be a contender that quickly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad