Speculation: Which teams would realistically be able and willing to sign Draisaitl if he didn't sign in Edmonton?

D1az

Oct 29, 2009
Finland
This isn't a knock on the Oilers and just something I wonder about "logistically" when a player who potentially is this expensive comes up at this point.
Especially as I'm in general really bad at reading and understanding potential trades.

Undoubtedly every team would love to have a guy like him, but which team would within this timeline actually be well suited, without throwing other parts of the team into chaos, say by sacrificing their top defensive line? And also have the money, or ability to move players to get that money?

Reactions: behemolari

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Using the money from expiring UFAs Kane, Maatta, Petry, Husso, and by dumping / buying out two or three of Copp Holl Chiarot, there should be money on Detroit for Draisaitl next summer, if they're willing to go with Cossa and somebody cheap-ish for goaltending. It would probably push Compher to the wing, and one of Kasper Danielson would probably end up on the wing eventually or traded eventually, but that's all stuff that's worth dealing with if you can add Draisaitl for only cap space and without trading anything away to get him.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
The betting odds I saw in June were Boston, Chicago, Carolina and Detroit in that order.

A team has to obviously have cap space and he has to want to play there. (Which always gets overlooked)

Boston, Chicago, Toronto and I guess Detroit would be fits.

I’ll be surprised if he signs with a Minnesota, Columbus Or Anaheim type of team. Wouldn’t he just stay In Edmonton?

Overwhelming odds are he stays an Oiler IMO.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Sabres can't afford 12/7/7 down the middle. I guess Cozens can move to wing but got to move out salary. Unless he wants to sign a 2 year deal? We can do that. Sabres can definitely swing a trade if he is resigning long term. Plenty of assets and can move a roster player. This is where I assume the Power+ trade proposals pop out if you're looking for D. Definitely cant Have Dahlin.

Last edited:

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Sabres can't afford 12/7/7 down the middle. I guess Cozens can move to wing but got to move out salary. Unless he wants to sign a 2 year deal? We can do that. Sabres can definitely swing a trade if he is resigning long term. Plenty of assets and can move a roster player. This is where I assume the Power+ trade proposals pop out if you're looking for D. Definitely cant Have Dahlin.
Buffalo would move Cozens, as in trade, to max contract Draisaitl most likely. As others have pointed out, many teams would be willing, it's Draisaitl's choice as to where he'd go, and he'll most definitely be a max contract doing so imho.

Reactions: Voight and Ciao

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Buffalo would move Cozens, as in trade, to max contract Draisaitl most likely. As others have pointed out, many teams would be willing, it's Draisaitl's choice as to where he'd go, and he'll most definitely be a max contract doing so imho.
What is max anyways?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad