Value of: Which Teams are going to go ALL-IN this year? Who will make the biggest splash?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Think Drury pushes his chips in

I'd expect Flames to make another move. I think Rangers are another team certain to make some moves.

The Rangers probably will make a lot of moves but then again i don't have too much faith in them going far in the playoffs.

I see these teams being a little more aggressive than others... Maybe not all of them but most of them. Avs, Flames, Oilers, Panthers, Leafs, Rangers, Caps, Pens.

Disagree re expecting NYR to go overboard.
NYR FO knows NYR are (a) NOT top 8 contenders, and (b) not facing a shrinking contention window
Vultures circling, to siphon the pipeline, likely to be disappointed how few upside assets NYR actually send away

Any team with an aging core or any team with a limited window cap/contract wise really needs to try to win. ...Teams like BOS, WAS, COL, VGK, TB, and PIT seem to fit the profile. It's always difficult when a team is cap strapped though and they can't add much and don't want to pay the price to dump cap to improve.

agree here, teams like BOS, WAS, PIT have aging core and narrowing contention window.
Cap adds complications but GMs seem to find a way ...

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Disagree re expecting NYR to go overboard.
NYR FO knows NYR are (a) NOT top 8 contenders, and (b) not facing a shrinking contention window
Vultures circling, to siphon the pipeline, likely to be disappointed how few upside assets NYR actually send away

agree here, teams like BOS, WAS, PIT have aging core and narrowing contention window.
Cap adds complications but GMs seem to find a way ...
Sweet caps and color. That’s ok with not going all in also.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
The big problem with Kuemper and Francouz is can they stay healthy.
That's why Sakic need to look for another goalie.

Yes, Sakic needs to look for another goalie in addition to the two he already has. But the goalie he needs to look for is an affordable 3rd stringer for the playoffs who is better than Annunen, not a new starter or backup who would likely also end up injured anyway, given the Avs luck.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Any team with an aging core or any team with a limited window cap/contract wise really needs to try to win. I get that with Covid and empty arenas there was little incentive to "go for it" since the extra playoff revenue wasn't going to be significant, but with fans back in buildings, owners once again have that incentive. Teams like BOS, WAS, COL, VGK, TB, and PIT seem to fit the profile. It's always difficult when a team is cap strapped though and they can't add much and don't want to pay the price to dump cap to improve.
The problem with Tampa buying is...

who do you dump? We really don't have any bad contracts now that Johnson and (arguably) Gourde are gone. Palat and Killorn are steals at their ~5m price point. Obviously Point, Kucherov, Stamkos, Hedman, Vasi are not overpaid. Our entire bottom 6 makes 1m or less. McDonagh is the "worst" contract, and that's only because the last two years of it - he's well worth the cost of what he brings now.

That being said - Tampa's going to try something, and they're not shy about getting creative or paying the cost. The goal is the Cup, not being #1 on Pronman's prospect rankings.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The problem with Tampa buying is...

who do you dump? We really don't have any bad contracts now that Johnson and (arguably) Gourde are gone. Palat and Killorn are steals at their ~5m price point. Obviously Point, Kucherov, Stamkos, Hedman, Vasi are not overpaid. Our entire bottom 6 makes 1m or less. McDonagh is the "worst" contract, and that's only because the last two years of it - he's well worth the cost of what he brings now.

That being said - Tampa's going to try something, and they're not shy about getting creative or paying the cost. The goal is the Cup, not being #1 on Pronman's prospect rankings.

TB doesn't get enough credit from casual hockey fans. They have maximized their efforts to win. It's amazing to me that good teams with bad contracts or old players act like some good but not great prospect or a first round pick at 27-32 is some sort of amazing thing that will turn their team around while it matters. I noted in my prior post that the cap was an issue. If TB has no bad contracts then you just add the best cheap guy who fits and move out a Perry or Bellemare to fit him in. There is another Coleman available somewhere.

Reactions: Devonator

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
TB doesn't get enough credit from casual hockey fans. They have maximized their efforts to win. It's amazing to me that good teams with bad contracts or old players act like some good but not great prospect or a first round pick at 27-32 is some sort of amazing thing that will turn their team around while it matters. I noted in my prior post that the cap was an issue. If TB has no bad contracts then you just add the best cheap guy who fits and move out a Perry or Bellemare to fit him in. There is another Coleman available somewhere.
Perry and Bellemare have been really f***ing good. They're not moving. If anything maybe Katchouk or Raddysh could be available for a clear upgrade, but even that is hard to do at that price point.

Reactions: My3Sons

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Sweet caps and color. That’s ok with not going all in also.
If longer term impact player, who fits need, is there to be had, a la Scheiffele for 2+ more seasons, then I could see a big deal involving NYR

pockets

I haven't slept for 10 days cuz that'd be too long
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Colorado Avalanche will go all in this season. A lot of answers Sakic need to find.
I think his wish list should be :
1 - A goalie (Fleury)
2- A top 6 players (Giroux, Pavelski, Laine)
3- A #4 Def if Byram season over
4-Bottom 6 player with grit (Clutterbuck, Tierney etc)
Your list is backwards...getting a goalie is the least of the Avs worries right now and Sakic really should only be looking for a cheap #3 injury insurance policy.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
The big problem with Kuemper and Francouz is can they stay healthy.
That's why Sakic need to look for another goalie.
Sure I get it. But that will only happen if one gets injured before the deadline. Cuz otherwise you have to waive someone and they end up getting claimed.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Sakic hasn't done "all in" or even "half in" at the TDL and my best guess is he won't this time either.
He may in the off season or next TDL as it is the last with MacK on a cheap contract.

Think he does his normal addition of a big Dman and a bottom 6 forward for faceoff and PK help and hopefully a 3rd goalie.

I believe Byram will be the big splash addition after the deadline. There has been no need for him to come back for the regular season so him getting as much time as possible to get right has been an easy accommodation to make

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Colorado Avalanche will go all in this season. A lot of answers Sakic need to find.
1 - A goalie (Fleury)

Avs don't need Fleury. They have a very good thing going with Kuemper/Francouz. 2), 3) and 4) I can agree with.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I feel like the Oilers should be going all in this year. I know it's been a tough year... but they might need this to finally pull it all together for several years to come...

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
1 - A goalie (Fleury)

Woah! That's a big shopping list! Is Sakic gonna pony up?

Reactions: Scrapy1980

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
1 - A goalie (Fleury)
There was a time about 3 months ago when the crease looked uncertain for Colorado, but now that idea just simply needs to die.

Kuemper had a slow start (on a new team...) but since returning from injury on December 8th he's 16-1-2 with these stats:
  • 0.929 sv% (8th)
  • 2.21 GAA (8th)
  • 13.96 GSAA (2nd)
  • 0.872 HDSV% (4th)
Francouz since returning from injury on January 8th is 7-1-0 with these stats:
  • 0.927 sv% (8th)
  • 2.16 GAA (7th)
  • 4.08 GSAA (13th)
  • 0.836 HDSV% (18th)
Both Kuemper and Francouz rank (much) better than Fleury in pretty much every notable statistic, even for the season as a whole despite their early struggles with form and injuries. Needless to say Colorado have no issue with their goaltending and certainly won't be making a move for Fleury anytime soon.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Colorado, Florida and NYR are the biggest buyers imo

I think one a few of the older teams might try to take another shot at it. Maybe Boston or Pitsburg or Washington? St. Louis? The problem is that don't have much to give and also don't have much cap space...

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
1 - A goalie (Fleury)
Gotchu covered, Forsberg, Ennis, JBrown and Tierney, one stop shopping, 2 2nds and a cap dump we can flip.

Reactions: WinterLion

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
It's a bit of a buyer's market. There aren't a ton of true contenders, the pickings are a little slim (not numbers, but overall quality of pending UFAs), and I don't think you'll see very many clubs go all in for some of the players available.

There will be a lot of tinkering on the margins, maybe yielding decent trade volume in the end, but not too many blockbusters. I wonder how many first rounders actually change hands this year.

Last edited:

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Sakic going all in?

I believe it when I see it. So far he has not been willing to give up anything at the deadline despite icing cup capable rosters.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Florida, Minnesota should be, they have cap space and are gonna be in cap hell next year. While both have really really good teams this season.

Washington has some cap space and how many years left with this group as a true contender.

Carolina has so much cap room they should be too. They could trade for someone with term.

The Avs should be.

My predictions all these teams go for it.

Florida gets Giordano
Minnesota gets Giroux
Carolina gets Pavelski and Klingberg
Washington gets Lindholm
NYR get Kessell, and Radulov
Penguins get Hertl
Avs get Rackell
Edmonton gets Fleury
Nashville gets Nick Paul
Calgary gets Tierney
Boston gets Getzlaf and Manson
Kings get Petry
Toronto gets Chiarot

Tampa only gets Sanford and Josh Brown still wins the cup HAHA.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Something about the Flames hiring recently fired Ducks GM Murray I get impression Calgary may have both the prospects and the need for one of Manson, Rakell or Hampus Lindholm.

2 Lindholms on one team would be tough to beat.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Avs don't need Fleury. They have a very good thing going with Kuemper/Francouz. 2), 3) and 4) I can agree with.
Good things are not always going to pan out at playoff time . Do you really think this is the tandem to go all the way ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad