Which teams are bound for mediocrity over the next 5-6 years?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Making the playoffs only to flame out in the first round is just as bad. Mediocre would be the teams ranked 11th to 20th. Higher than that is good and lower than that is bad.
I would argue that not making the playoffs is bad, and making the playoffs is good. You can't spin it into any other measure. So many teams would kill to have their team make the playoffs. It was awful when my team didn't make the playoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: SheldonJPlankton

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
IMO, mediocrity isn't necessarily missing the playoff. It could be making the playoffs with a very low probability of advancing.
For years DET had one of the higher payrolls, had a team of hall of fame players, but lost in the 1st round. It must have sucked, but you would have that then never making the playoffs. OTT was the same. Eventually teams figure it out.

You still want to make the playoffs because you just never know how close you can get to success.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Well maybe the OP needs to define it better. Mediocre can't be making the playoffs every year.

To me it's being 9th or 10th every season. Not good enough to make the playoffs, but not bad enough to be a lottery team.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but, as I said earlier, I would say calling a team that has one playoff win in 20+ seasons mediocre is actually being quite generous to that team.

Speaking of generous, calling a team that finishes 9th or 10th, mediocre is very kind. I would call that team bad, or sub-par at best.

Why are you so hung up semantics?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but, as I said earlier, I would say calling a team that has one playoff win in 20+ seasons mediocre is actually being quite generous to that team.

Speaking of generous, calling a team that finishes 9th or 10th, mediocre is very kind. I would call that team bad, or sub-par at best.

Why are you so hung up semantics?
Because Treliving improved the defense, they have one more year of JT/MM, and their so called stars are in their prime. I can't see how Toronto could be mediocre for the next 5 years.

nerevarine

Nov 14, 2019
This thread was literally made for vancouver

elias petersson is the worst contract in the NHL

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
This thread was literally made for vancouver

elias petersson is the worst contract in the NHL
I can think of 10 contracts immediately that are far worse.

EP40 has one rough playoff (which is completely opposite his first playoff run where he had 18 points in 17 games) and suddenly he's the "worst contract in hockey".

Biased fandom makes people say dumb things.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Because Treliving improved the defense, they have one more year of JT/MM, and their so called stars are in their prime. I can't see how Toronto could be mediocre for the next 5 years.

Well they are mediocre right now and I don't see them suddenly improving because, once again, the same core that doesn't show up is what they are moving forward with.

Additionally, if you look at the good teams in the NHL, they don't have a tandem at the level of Joseph Woll and Anthony Stolarz. That is a decidedly mediocre goaltending pair playing behind and underwhelming and aging defense supported by high scoring forwards that go AWOL when it matters, and the team, in general, is soft and lacks killer instinct.

I think their best case scenario is they continue to tread water, which is to say, they remain pretenders, not contenders.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
With a Mitch Marner extension seemingly inevitable, I think the Toronto Maple Leafs have lost their chance to get out from under the mess that Kyle Dubas created and unfortunately it's going to be like Groundhog Day in Leaf Nation.
oh Leafs are screwed, they will need alot to go right to win now. the window isnt closed but it might as well be

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
San Jose got so depleted of talent that they are still going to be garbage in 5 years, even if they manage things well.

Pittsburgh has obviously been going all-in for so long that the next 5 are going to be downhill. Same with Washington.

I can see Vegas and Tampa being pretty awful in 5 years too.

The Islanders are a popular choice but honestly I more see them falling into that mushy middle like where teams like Calgary find themselves.

Anaheim doesn’t seem to be doing much with the draft assets they built up but sooner or later they have to improve a bit. Future mushy middle team, I’d say.

5 years is forever and things change must faster in the cap era so all the above might be completely wrong. We’ll see!

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Rangers as they may have to pay 12 million for a goalie and 10 million for a busted out 1st overall soon. Going to be interesting
Laf is somehow a bust, but also simultaneously going to successfully demand $10M/year.

... Interesting.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Cool.

... So how's he gonna demand $10M/year?
First overall showing serious mettle in the playoffs scoring huge goals while other softies on his team melting then most likely going to flirt with a point a game playing with Breadman along with the cap Rising plus playing in the little old city of Manhattan is not going to be a reach to see his agent demanding 10 million soon enough

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
First overall showing serious mettle in the playoffs scoring huge goals while other softies on his team melting then most likely going to flirt with a point a game playing with Breadman along with the cap Rising plus playing in the little old city of Manhattan is not going to be a reach to see his agent demanding 10 million soon enough

Yeah bro. $10M bust. Makes sense to me! :sarcasm:

Ad

Ad

Ad