Which team has the brighter future? OTT/DET/MTL/BUF

Which team has the brighter future?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
You sure? They dont have the prospects with the highest potential. No #1 d man in the system and a below average first line C with no one else in the system. All their highest draft capital spent on wingers and complimentary D men.
Right but look at the other teams were comparing them to. Those teams already have their best pieces on the roster and can’t make the playoffs. Montreal is still rebuilding, they will likely get another high pick in the 2025 draft. They still have time to make this a high quality rebuild.

Reactions: EveryDay

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
This list is wild af. Brightest future is that none of these teams are moving anytime soon. Outside of that, it's all even money.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Habs because we're the deepest but most importantly we have the best management group by far thus far (of the 4 listed). Actual competent management makes a huge difference

It's funny how long this discussion has been, all teams have been bad since like 2018 with the exception of a couple hot months by the Habs in the covid years when they were gifted playoff opportunities (great playoff run tho).

TBL, FLA, BOS and TOR have been playoff staples while these 4 teams continue to not figure it out.

Gonna use their Top 7 players (4F 3D and 1G) from those periods to compare to what these 4 teams will have over the next 5 or so years.

:bolts
F1: Kucherov
F2: Point
F3: Stamkos
F4: Cirelli/Killorn/Palat

D1: Hedman
D2: McDonagh
D3: Sergachev

G: Vasilevskiy

:panthers
F1: Barkov
F2: Tkachuk/Huberdeau
F3: Reinhart
F4: Verhaeghe

D1: Ekblad
D2: Weegar/Montour
D3: Forsling

G: Bobrovsky

:bruins
F1: Bergeron
F2: Pastrnak
F3: Marchand
F4: Krejci

D1: McAvoy
D2: Chara
D3: Lindholm/Krug

G: Rask/Ullmark/Sway

:leafs

F1: Matthews
F2: Marner
F3: Tavares
F4: Nylander

D1: Reilly
D2: Muzzin/Barrie
D3: Holl/Liljegren?

G: Andersen/Samsonov

Now for the Atlantic failures....

:sens
F1: Stützle
F2: Tkachuk
F3: Batherson
F4: Norris/Pinto/Greig

D1: Sanderson
D2: Chabot
D3: Zub/Yakemchuk

G: Ullmark

:sabres
F1: Thompson
F2: Cozens
F3: Benson
F4: Quinn/Pererka

D1: Dahlin
D2: Power
D3: Byram/Samuelsson

G: Levi

:wings
F1: Larkin
F2: Raymond
F3: DeBrincat
F4: Danielson/Kasper

D1: Seider
D2: Edvinsson
D3: Pellikka?

G: Cossa

:habs
F1: Demidov
F2: Slavkovsky
F3: Caufield
F4: Suzuki

D1: Hutson
D2: Guhle
D3: Lindholm/Reinbacher

G: Primeau

Apologies if I missed some blatant ones. Capfriendly made this stuff a lot easier. Obviously these will loom very different even a year from now due to trades, signings, drafts and even value changes.

So based off of those groups, I would say that Buffalo and Ottawa have the biggest star power. Ottawa is by far the least deep, but I'd say Stützle/Tkachuk likely ends up as the best forward duo out of the group, if they're not already.

Best defence undoubtedly goes to Buffalo for now, but all 4 teams have multiple D men 21 and younger so that will change a lot.

I can't believe I'm saying these words but Ottawa undoubtedly has the best goalie right now. If Ullmark is only here one year, Ottawa has by far the worst goalies and I'd even go as far as saying overall group because of the weakness.

The biggest factor how successful these teams will be is coaching. I guess I'd give the edge to Lalonde right now but all of the coaching staffs leave a little to be desired, interested to see which one is best.

All this to say.... We all still suck but Go Sens Go

:sens
Who the hell is lindholm on the habs?

You forgot dach newhook

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I cannot believe we are mentioning Norris and Hughes in the same conversation.
Yeah this isn't the same thing at all.

Right but look at the other teams were comparing them to. Those teams already have their best pieces on the roster and can’t make the playoffs. Montreal is still rebuilding, they will likely get another high pick in the 2025 draft. They still have time to make this a high quality rebuild.
They are there but they aren't remotely close to being fully developed and they are all much better teams than Montreal. Montreal was horrible last year but had amazing goaltending. They were also very well coached the talent on the ice was really bad. You're right they are gonna get another really good player. They are doing the rebuild right I just don't think they have invested their top end draft capital in the most valuable positions.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
right now I like Montreal.
second is Ottawa. But again we don't know Staios yet.

I'm ok with Buffalo, but Kevn Adams trading an elite prospect for ahl prospect and a 3rd line player got me thinking this guy is not a bright GM. He's not a bright GM and hes willing to make stupid moves.

Detroit 4th.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
right now I like Montreal.
second is Ottawa. But again we don't know Staios yet.

I'm ok with Buffalo, but Kevn Adams trading an elite prospect for ahl prospect and a 3rd line player got me thinking this guy is not a bright GM. He's not a bright GM and hes willing to make stupid moves.

Detroit 4th.

I wouldnt trade Detroits position for Ottawa or Buffalo. Way less of a destination for people to want to come to, both teams have spun their tires more than Detroit the last 2-3 years and Detroit is building from the back end out which is a more consistent way to win imo.

The only city that players might want to play in less than Ottawa or Buffalo is Winnipeg.

Montreal is in a different spot in their rebuild so harder to compare. Out of the 3 in a similar spot, one is a team that has consistently improved year to year, is a "desirable" place to play and has comparable talent on the roster and in the minors. Detroit, especially compared to Ottawa has the most help on the way as well. 3 top 10 picks still coming and arguably the best prospect pool in the league vs the sens ranked near the bottom of the league

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I wouldnt trade Detroits position for Ottawa or Buffalo. Way less of a destination for people to want to come to, both teams have spun their tires more than Detroit the last 2-3 years and Detroit is building from the back end out which is a more consistent way to win imo.

The only city that players might want to play in less than Ottawa or Buffalo is Winnipeg.

Montreal is in a different spot in their rebuild so harder to compare. Out of the 3 in a similar spot, one is a team that has consistently improved year to year, is a "desirable" place to play and has comparable talent on the roster and in the minors. Detroit, especially compared to Ottawa has the most help on the way as well. 3 top 10 picks still coming and arguably the best prospect pool in the league vs the sens ranked near the bottom of the league

Huh? How is Detroit more desirable than Ottawa? Ottawa's population has been consistently growing. Detroit's has been stagnant or declining for decades.
Ottawa housing prices keep going up. Detroit is full of abandoned houses being torn down. Ottawa keeps making lists for best city to live in. Detroit never does.

I'm actually so confused by your assessment on desirability. They actually have organizations that do rank these things professionally. Ottawa makes lists for being good. Detroit never does.

Reactions: SNES

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Habs.

Lots of potential. But I don’t think they become a consistent playoff team in the next 1-3 years. It takes time to become a consistent playoff team, especially with the current parity in the league.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Huh? How is Detroit more desirable than Ottawa? Ottawa's population has been consistently growing. Detroit's has been stagnant or declining for decades.
Ottawa housing prices keep going up. Detroit is full of abandoned houses being torn down. Ottawa keeps making lists for best city to live in. Detroit never does.

I'm actually so confused by your assessment on desirability. They actually have organizations that do rank these things professionally. Ottawa makes lists for being good. Detroit never does.

Yes, because those damn NHL players are gonna buy abandoned houses and move to 7 mile :rolleyes:

Detroit has beautiful suburbs and it's a whole lot cheaper to live there. That in itself is desirable enough for anyone who wants to raise a family.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Yes, because those damn NHL players are gonna buy abandoned houses and move to 7 mile :rolleyes:

Detroit has beautiful suburbs and it's a whole lot cheaper to live there. That in itself is desirable enough for anyone who wants to raise a family.

It's cheaper because it's less desirable. That's quite literally how this works. Supply and demand.

Average income:
Detroit: $23,927 USD
Ottawa: $64,995 CAD

Average housing price:
Ottawa: $799,000 CAD
Detroit: $75, 258 USD

It's not even close lol.

weird the few times I was in Detroit, I was warned not to go downtown.

They tell you not to get off at a list of exits or else you can be in danger.

Whereas in Ottawa you can walk around or drive around anywhere. Worst thing that will happen to you driving are potholes and worst thing that will happen walking is you'll pass by a person yelling at nothing once in a while... Otherwise you can be 12 years old and walk around anywhere and be safe. In Detroit they tell you not to park your car in neighbourhoods or you'll arrive with your wheels missing.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
It's cheaper because it's less desirable. That's quite literally how this works. Supply and demand.

Average income:

Average housing price:

I have experienced both countries (Canadian that used to live near the GTA and currently living in US Midwest). You cannot compare the two like that. There are trade-offs on both sides of the fence.

The poverty in Detroit is real, whereas in Ottawa it doesn't even come close to comparing. So while that is a downside for Detroit, make no mistake, there are beautiful high end suburbs with great school districts where people with the money live. Hockey players live around such parts, and the mansions they end up purchasing would probably cost them double the price in Ottawa if not more, not to mention the higher taxes and cost of living in general.

In a nutshell, Ottawa is a better city to live if you have less money since the poverty areas there don't come close to Detroit. But Detroit is very desirable if you have money, because you could easily live a rich lifestyle if you're above average in income. Not to mention as a city I like where Detroit is situated better.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I have experienced both countries (Canadian that used to live near the GTA and currently living in US Midwest). You cannot compare the two like that. There are trade-offs on both sides of the fence.

The poverty in Detroit is real, whereas in Ottawa it doesn't even come close to comparing. So while that is a downside for Detroit, make no mistake, there are beautiful high end suburbs with great school districts where people with the money live. Hockey players live around such parts, and the mansions they end up purchasing would probably cost them double the price in Ottawa if not more, not to mention the higher taxes and cost of living in general.

In a nutshell, Ottawa is a better city to live if you have less money since the poverty areas there don't come close to Detroit. But Detroit is very desirable if you have money, because you could easily live a rich lifestyle if you're above average in income. Not to mention as a city I like where Detroit is situated better.
I spent a fair bit of time travelling in my younger days, spent time living in both China and Russia. I learned from those countries that Detroit doesn't actually exist. According to the conspiracy theorists in those countries, Detroit is a fake city invented by the US government to make their other cities not look so bad, to use as a veiled threat. 'If we don't pass this law, our city will turn into the next detroit!' is the reason they believe the gov created the Detroit myth. Sure I've been to Detroit a few times and found it to be a nice place but I'm inclined to believe those people.

So if the option is between Detroit, a place that's not real, and Ottawa, a place that is real... I think the choice is quite simple.

I'd pick Detroit because it's not Ottawa.

• Haha
Reactions: Lshap

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I spent a fair bit of time travelling in my younger days, spent time living in both China and Russia. I learned from those countries that Detroit doesn't actually exist. According to the conspiracy theorists in those countries, Detroit is a fake city invented by the US government to make their other cities not look so bad, to use as a veiled threat. 'If we don't pass this law, our city will turn into the next detroit!' is the reason they believe the gov created the Detroit myth. Sure I've been to Detroit a few times and found it to be a nice place but I'm inclined to believe those people.

So if the option is between Detroit, a place that's not real, and Ottawa, a place that is real... I think the choice is quite simple.

I'd pick Detroit because it's not Ottawa.

Not real? That reminds me of another conspiracy theory about Finland not being real as well...

Anyhow, for whatever it's worth, what people actually think about Detroit is actually Gary, Indiana.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I remember Kubalik giving an interview with the Czech media after being traded to Ottawa and he reflected on the fact that he never went downtown Detroit, and very few of the players ever did, and that it was strange.

Moderator: I've heard you're not really okay with Detroit.

Kubalik: I am okay.

M: I mean, with the club sure, but you didn't really get attached to the city.

K: Well, it's not very likable overall, there aren't many people anyway, so, the guys also know it's not really great there. So we mostly go there just to play matches. Otherwise we were there twice... was nice [[with a tone hinting that it really isn't great, just... nice]]. We live 25 km away from there, so... yeah, fine.

M: So what should I visit in Detroit if I happened to be there?

K: Well there's a nice shopping mall...

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I remember Kubalik giving an interview with the Czech media after being traded to Ottawa and he reflected on the fact that he never went downtown Detroit, and very few of the players ever did, and that it was strange.

Amusingly Vrana lived downtown when he was a Wing.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
In any event, the three most important factors are competitiveness, taxes and cap space.

I can count on one hand when the city matters. You have the DeBrincat and Giroux types going home eventually but in general the amount of nitpicking about relative city value is funny.

Reactions: Bileur

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Original 6, storied franchise with a brand new arena vs whatever the sens have going for them? A growing population I guess lol? One of the oldest, most successful sports cities in North America, vs a city that has a CFL team now I guess?

Detroits in a unique position because after the white flight from the richest city in America, the suburbs became very wealthy while the inner city is obviously not. The athletesin Detroit dont live on 8 mile.

Speaking of organisations ranking these things, theyre ranking Detroit, not Birmingham or Royal Oak so they mean literally nothing to this discussion. Speaking of rankings, heres the athletic ranking Ottawa only 2nd to Winnipeg for worst place to play on the road in the NHL, which is way more relevant to the discussion

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5239046/2024/01/31/nhl-player-poll-2024/

Average income:

Average housing price:

It's not even close lol.

They tell you not to get off at a list of exits or else you can be in danger.

Whereas in Ottawa you can walk around or drive around anywhere. Worst thing that will happen to you driving are potholes and worst thing that will happen walking is you'll pass by a person yelling at nothing once in a while... Otherwise you can be 12 years old and walk around anywhere and be safe. In Detroit they tell you not to park your car in neighbourhoods or you'll arrive with your wheels missing.

Yeah housing prices also have nothing to do with Canada being in arguably the largest housing bubble of all time and the teams are in completely different countries.

In any event, the three most important factors are competitiveness, taxes and cap space.

I can count on one hand when the city matters. You have the DeBrincat and Giroux types going home eventually but in general the amount of nitpicking about relative city value is funny.

Lol,when youre talking about literally one of the least desirable cities in the NHL it absolutely matters. Ottawa happens to be one of those teams

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Lol,when youre talking about literally one of the least desirable cities in the NHL it absolutely matters. Ottawa happens to be one of those teams

Meh, we had Hasek come here for cheap when the team was winning hockey games.

I'm not overly concerned.

newfy said:
Detroits in a unique position because after the white flight from the richest city in America, the suburbs became very wealthy while the inner city is obviously not. The athletesin Detroit dont live on 8 mile

Yeah, this is what Kubalik was complaining about when it came to playing in Detroit.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Original 6, storied franchise with a brand new arena vs whatever the sens have going for them? A growing population I guess lol? One of the oldest, most successful sports cities in North America, vs a city that has a CFL team now I guess?

Detroits in a unique position because after the white flight from the richest city in America, the suburbs became very wealthy while the inner city is obviously not. The athletesin Detroit dont live on 8 mile.

Speaking of organisations ranking these things, theyre ranking Detroit, not Birmingham or Royal Oak so they mean literally nothing to this discussion. Speaking of rankings, heres the athletic ranking Ottawa only 2nd to Winnipeg for worst place to play on the road in the NHL, which is way more relevant to the discussion

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5239046/2024/01/31/nhl-player-poll-2024/

Yeah housing prices also have nothing to do with Canada being in arguably the largest housing bubble of all time and the teams are in completely different countries.

lol richest city in America.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad