Which prospects impress and disappoint at Rookie and NHL camps?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Coyotes and Washington was the rumor but I don't think it was ever actually confirmed as anything more then a rumor.
His agent confirmed it during an interview. It wasn’t Montreal though, so the comparison with Reinbacher is fair game.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Gotta be disappointed as a Habs fan. Dropping 2 games vs the Leafs despite them being deep in a rebuild and the Leafs having only have 1 first round pick player in both games. Hutson looks good but most of the rest of the roster were very underwhelming.

Minten and Cowan look better than every Habs forward

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Gotta be disappointed as a Habs fan. Dropping 2 games vs the Leafs despite them being deep in a rebuild and the Leafs having only have 1 first round pick player in both games. Hutson looks good but most of the rest of the roster were very underwhelming.

Very few Habs fans are disappointed - it’s an exhibition rookie tournament. Not a leafs fan in the world that wouldn’t trade our prospect groups, including yourself.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Very few Habs fans are disappointed - it’s an exhibition rookie tournament. Not a leafs fan in the world that wouldn’t trade our prospect groups, including yourself.
I mean obviously lol you guys are dead in the middle of a rebuild and we have been trading picks for like 5 years now.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015

Habs way deeper on D, Leafs way deeper and better in goal and at forward. Meh

I mean congrats to you guys. You won the games and were definite underdogs going in. Minten and Cowan looked good for the most part, and I know you were missing Danford.

That said, your posts ITT are kind wild. I just quoted two, but you're definitely reading way too much into two one goal prospect games.

In net, Habs decided not to bring Dobes and to give Miller more looks, and because Fowler is in College. Then Miller got seriously injured 48 hours before the games. So you played two goalies that are not and have never been Habs prospects, and let's be real, they weren't even ECHL quality.

So claiming the Leafs' prospect pool is "deeper" and "better" at goaltender is nonsensical. Fowler is by far the best G prospect on either team, and Dobes and Miller didn't even play.

Just as non sensical is saying Leafs are deeper and better at F. Even without Demidov, Hage and Kapanen who are arguably our best three F prospects, the Habs carried the play for both of those games. Leafs (barely) won off PP goals on two brutal Goalies. They were getting hemmed in 5v5 as your own board was calling out during the games. Leafs got out shot and out chanced both games.

You're not being honest with yourself if you at all think the Habs and Leafs prospect pools are comparable.

Maria Sharapova

Jun 4, 2010
I mean congrats to you guys. You won the games and were definite underdogs going in. Minten and Cowan looked good for the most part, and I know you were missing Danford.

That said, your posts ITT are kind wild. I just quoted two, but you're definitely reading way too much into two one goal prospect games.

In net, Habs decided not to bring Dobes and to give Miller more looks, and because Fowler is in College. Then Miller got seriously injured 48 hours before the games. So you played two goalies that are not and have never been Habs prospects, and let's be real, they weren't even ECHL quality.

So claiming the Leafs' prospect pool is "deeper" and "better" at goaltender is nonsensical. Fowler is by far the best G prospect on either team, and Dobes and Miller didn't even play.

Just as non sensical is saying Leafs are deeper and better at F. Even without Demidov, Hage and Kapanen who are arguably our best three F prospects, the Habs carried the play for both of those games. Leafs (barely) won off PP goals on two brutal Goalies. They were getting hemmed in 5v5 as your own board was calling out during the games. Leafs got out shot and out chanced both games.

You're not being honest with yourself if you at all think the Habs and Leafs prospect pools are comparable.
I recommend going for a walk, you're too worked up over a sunday afternoon prospect game you clearly didn't watch because you were sitting watching the leafs board.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
I recommend going for a walk, you're too worked up over a sunday afternoon prospect game you clearly didn't watch because you were sitting watching the leafs board.

I thought this response would come. If writing up a 2 minute post countering the idea that the Leafs have a better pool based on two prospect games means I'm worked up then so be it lol.

I should go for a walk though. That's always good advice.

Reactions: wetcoast and Nevins

Maria Sharapova

Jun 4, 2010
I thought this response would come. If writing up a 2 minute post countering the idea that the Leafs have a better pool based on two prospect games means I'm worked up then so be it lol.

I should go for a walk though. That's always good advice.
I think habs haven't been drafting the best, Reinbacher over Cowan was a reach.

• Haha
Reactions: Deux de Coeurs

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa

I don’t think anyone that is truly being objective would contest what you’re saying

Leafs have a very shallow pool. Habs easily outclass what the Leafs have to offer.

The closest position arguable would be in goal as the Leafs do have a couple solid guys to watch, but that is the most difficult position to predict so it’s almost moot in this discussion

Leafs have a couple nice forward prospects but pale in both high end and NHL depth type of futures there. I like Cowan a lot, and Minten looks like he has an NHL future, but beyond that there are many more question marks.

The gap on D is the Grand Canyon. Leafs have nothing to brag about there. Not even worth talking about

These games provide very little to draw a conclusion from. It’s nice to see our young players in action but there are no statements being made here.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal

Yes super disappointed that our team lost 2 exhibition games. I'm at the verge of quitting. I just can't anymore.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC

Why would they care that much about a loss in a rookie tournament?

Reactions: SlafySZN

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014

The best forward prospects (Demidov, Hage, Kapanen, Koivu, Eriksson, Sawyer) are absent. Only Beck and Mesar have good potential. And the 2 goalkeepers were guests and not Habs prospects.But it’s true,Cowan and Minten look better than the Habs forwards in these 2 games.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

no Hage, Roy, Demidov or Kapanen and goalie invites who belong in high school -
but keep up the troll takes.
robertson for Hutson was a good start

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Had to be thrilling as a leafs fan to win these two big games

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
2 games in Canucks

Lekkerimaki looked electric vs the OIlers could have had 3 or 4 goals. Then conversely looked out of sync against the Jets and just small and timid. Really need to see him against NHLers in camp and exhibitions to get a better read as he's a pure goal scorer who may excel with an elite c but could also really suck if he cant find ways to finish and gets pushed out of the play.

Raty much the same. Really good 1st game 2nd game couldn't create much space and the whole line chased the play. Really bad service from the D and no PPs but expected more. Skating is barely acceptable so he'll need to pick it up at main camp. Some noted improvements but looked sluggish today after looking good in game 1.

Bains has been poor so far especially for someone who is 23 and should be dominant. Fighting the puck horribly and he usually has good hands and playmaking so far a hot mess.

Pettersson is someone teams will get familiar with soon. He's a player. Elite prospects had him at 57 and that was before he grew 2" and 20lbs and become a physical beast that can really skate. Looking like a steal but he's got things to work on. Tools and stature look like a sure fire NHLer but gotta be reliable. He'll need seasoning in Abby but excited to see a huge mover from his draft position to pretty much a blue chip

Alriksson is someone to keep an eye on. Massive physical specimen that can skate and looks like he's made some significant strides. Big year in the OHL incoming

Kudryavstev has also been a nice surprise. Lots of work to do and may even be back in the OHL this year but a good looking puck mover with poise a solid core and 4 way mobility who could be a solid AHLer as a 20yr old if they decide to go that route. Last 2 are long shots but have some intriguing traits that could make them useful

On the opposition

Oilers
Savoie looked really bad. Complete passenger small and weak. Bad teammates but was pretty disappointing for a 9OA
Jets
Lambert was a stud. Scored a nice goal and set up another. Skating is elite. He looks like a guy who could help the Jets this year
Yager looks like a really good prospect. Smart 2 way game. High end skill wicked shot and really good skater. Another year of development and then he should be pushing for a spot with the Jets. I get the feeling they wont miss McGroarty that much.
Barlow looked poor. Struggled to keep up and rough around the edges. Strong kid but still a ways to go for NHL impact
Chibrikov is very good in the offensive zone and feisty. Other 2 zones im not so sure about.
Julien was a noticeable checker/energy player

My 2C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad