The 2024-2025 Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Krebs deal is basically what most predicted.

Still a small chance Krebs blossoms into something.

But currently he seems too small and slow to play in our bottom 6, and not enough skill or speed for the top 6. He’s a guy who just kinda takes up space. Has never truly earned his spot on the roster in 3 years here.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Kulich as Rochester 1C is best for his development. I can see him being an option if we are a disappointment in December and he is playing dominant hockey in the AHL.

Rosen could use more bulk I think. Maybe next year.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Girgs and Okie were overpaid for years ...

They absolutely were. It was dumb then too.

I don't think any of Krebs/Lafferty/NAK are overpaid in comparison/retrospect

I will say, the Lafferty/NAK overpayments are understandable. It's the bad team tax.

Pay Krebs a full market rate when he has no leverage is more Adams simply not being able or willing to use leverage when you have it.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Pay Krebs a full market rate when he has no leverage is more Adams simply not being able or willing to use leverage when you have it.

An extra 250K for 2 years to a kid who bleeds blue&gold is OK.

I get the point that other bad decisions don't excuse smaller bad decisions. But 250K really is a drop in the bucket. I'm still bothered by the trade overpays for McLeod and Malenstyn. This just doesn't get my gander/dander up.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

It’s been updated with Krebs as a lock but not Greenway. :laugh:

Greenway has officially achieved whipping boy status on Sabres twitter. The Krebs ride or die crowd coming in hot.

I must have missed something about Greenway this offseason, I really didn't think he was odd man out. He's pretty much been cemented as a middle 6 forward for the last six years in the league.

I get the speed theme with the guys we brought in, but I don't think Greenway's foot speed makes him "not a fit for the roster". :dunno:

Is that why everyone is assuming he's the odd man out, skating speed?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I must have missed something about Greenway this offseason, I really didn't think he was odd man out. He's pretty much been cemented as a middle 6 forward for the last six years in the league.

I get the speed theme with the guys we brought in, but I don't think Greenway's foot speed makes him "not a fit for the roster". :dunno:

Skating speed is EXACTLY the reason some are assuming he's the odd man out.

I, like you, find that logic to be flimsy at best.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I certainly understand there will be injuries. But....again....isn't that why you drafted all these forwards? What's the point of having all this young forwards ready to come up if you are going to pay your 13th forward almost 1.5M? Sign a guy to a NHL minimum deal for spot work and call up a body if it’s a longer term injury.
That’s what they did last year and it was an unmitigated disaster. It’s called “learning from past mistakes,” and is a much better approach.

It allows for actual accountability because the player who’s gonna take my spot if I’m not playing well enough is an actual NHL player.

Now it’ll take two injuries before an inexperienced teenager gets forced onto the NHL team instead of one. Much preferred to the flawed approach of the last few seasons.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

It’s been updated with Krebs as a lock but not Greenway. :laugh:

I've already addressed the Greenway thing.....but.....I also think it's a stretch to call Josh Dunne our 4th callup from Rochester. I would imagine that Murray gets a callup before Dunne does. Hell, possibly Ostlund or maybe even Wahlberg.

Rathbone as 4th callup on D also seems like a stretch given the presence of Prow and Novikov.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've already addressed the Greenway thing.....but.....I also think it's a stretch to call Josh Dunne our 4th callup from Rochester. I would imagine that Murray gets a callup before Dunne does. Hell, possibly Ostlund or maybe even Wahlberg.

Rathbone as 4th callup on D also seems like a stretch given the presence of Prow and Novikov.

I don't think Prow sees an NHL game unless the defense is in absolute tatters. He's also on an AHL only deal at the moment so there is that as well. He was shot two springs ago IMO. Johnson, Clague and then one of Novikov or Komarov seem like the depth moves if their dipping 10 or 11 deep on the blueline (figuring they keep 8 out of camp)

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I think Zucker is the safety net under Benson and guys like Kulich and Rosen for 2024-25 given how they talked about his ability to play up and down the lineup.

I think the real wild card scenario is Kulich playing center in the middle 6 with one of Thompson, Cozens, or McLeod sliding to wing.
It will be interesting to see if they need a part time center in Buffalo if they go with Kulich or a more seasoned vet or shuffle around players so that Kulich could come up on the wing.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It will be interesting to see if they need a part time center in Buffalo if they go with Kulich or a more seasoned vet or shuffle around players so that Kulich could come up on the wing.
With Prospal talking about Kulich playing center and needing more time in the AHL, I wonder how much the organization is viewing Kulich on the wing in the short term.

If they were planning on doing that, shouldn't they have been playing Kulich on the wing at the Prospects Challenge and been talking about him needing to learn how to play on the wing?

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
With Prospal talking about Kulich playing center and needing more time in the AHL, I wonder how much the organization is viewing Kulich on the wing in the short term.

If they were planning on doing that, shouldn't they have been playing Kulich on the wing at the Prospects Challenge and been talking about him needing to learn how to play on the wing?
I have no doubt they're grooming him to eventually be an NHL center. That wouldn't make it absurd to break him in on the wing and have more experienced players fill the pivot this season.

It may depend on what their options are at the time and how Kulich performs. He may see NHL ice as both but yeah, they are absolutely focusing on Kulich as an NHL center. I just don't know if that happens this season.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I thought Ostlund was our top natural center (before Helenius), and yet he was playing wing at the prospect tournament.

KeepKane

May 6, 2015
Krebs can move into C spot. If 2 C's are needed then maybe Kulich or Helenius(prob not more than 9 games) to C .

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

In terms of playing games I think RyJo is thr primary call up. If they need a 7th warm body D then its Gilbert

With F I think Kulich and Rosen getting the call ups unless they want to dress a more physical player like Murray in a 4th line role.

I thought Ostlund was our top natural center (before Helenius), and yet he was playing wing at the prospect tournament.

Ostlund is nee to NA. I think he starts at W then moves to C in second half of season in Rochester

Reactions: Jacob582

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006

Another reason could be that he was a Granato guy. I’m not sure it was ever confirmed, but I think Granato advocated for bringing him in.

Granato is out, so not he will need to stand on his merits.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
And...just like that all the time we spent on figuring out the opening night roster gets spun on its head if Tage and Dahlin miss a ton of time. Who wants to take a stab at the roster without them?!:help:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
And...just like that all the time we spent on figuring out the opening night roster gets spun on its head if Tage and Dahlin miss a ton of time. Who wants to take a stab at the roster without them?!:help:
Peterka-Cozens-Tuch
Benson-McLeod/Krebs-Quinn
Zucker-McLeod/Krebs-Greenway
Malenstyn-Lafferty-NAK
X: Rousek

Power-Jokiharju
Byram-Clifton
Samuelsson-Johnson/Bryson/Gilbert (whoever looks best, hopefully RJ)
X: the other 2

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Peterka-Cozens-Tuch
Benson-McLeod/Krebs-Quinn
Zucker-McLeod/Krebs-Greenway
Malenstyn-Lafferty-NAK
X: Rousek

Power-Jokiharju
Byram-Clifton
Samuelsson-Johnson/Bryson/Gilbert (whoever looks best, hopefully RJ)
X: the other 2
Horrible

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Tage just got the wind knocked out of him. He's fine right now.

Hopefully Dahlin just tweaked something - maybe something that he did before camp and he thought he could play through and it wasn't right. Hopefully they are just being careful and it's more about saving him for the regular season.

If they have to play without him for any length of time, maybe we'll see:

Power - Samuelsson
Byram - Clifton
Gilbert - Joki

Reactions: Matt Ress

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad