Which players should CBJ target in UFA?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What free agent to get ?

• Steven Stamkos

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Sam Reinhart

• Matt Duchene

• Vladimir Tarasenko

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Elias Lindholm

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Tyler Bertuzzi

• Brandon Montour

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Brett Pesce

• Nikita Zadorov

• Chris Tanev

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Other player

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Stay put

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Although Bertuzzi is a winger, I prefer him because he is a type player whom we need.

Btw, you forgot to write Max Domi. :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: majormajor

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Stamkos. I bet he stays in Tampa, especially after today’s moves, but offer the Laine money to Stamkos for a few years.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Dillon if the contract length doesnt get too crazy

Also interested how people feel about Wennberg :D

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I enjoyed watching Wennberg lose to the Panthers. I always enjoy watching Wennberg lose.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Columbus' needs are, in order of likelihood to be resolved via free agency: veteran defensive LD, veteran forward, top pairing TD, top 6 two-way C.

The first two can easily be solved. I would be satisfied if Columbus got out of free agency with, for instance, Derek Forbort and Jordan Martinook signed. If they want to go for a top 6 F to insulate the youth, maybe they could sign Jonathan Marchessault or take a chance on Viktor Arvidsson? I'd like to see Johnson, Marchenko and Chinakhov start to get some chances in the top 6, though. It sounds like they are going for a bottom 6 forward as well.

Top-pairing stopgap RD is unlikely to be resolved via free agency. The optimal target, now that DeMelo is out of the picture, is probably Chris Tanev. But he is going to a contender. Matt Roy would be nice, but he's going to want a lot of term and money, which makes me nervous with regards to giving the core their big contracts later on. Maybe they take a swing on a guy like Alexandre Carrier, but it's unlikely.

Top 6 C I don't see being resolved via free agency. My only candidate there is Elias Lindholm, but he is going to a contender that's willing to pay a high salary with lots of term.

So resolve veteran LD and veteran F via free agency. The other two needs might be something to look for with regards to a Laine trade. My unachievable ideal player examples there would be William Karlsson and Alex Pietrangelo. Other options include Aaron Ekblad, Anthony Cirelli or Yanni Gourde.

So, all in all, I would be satisfied with Forbort and Martinook.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Waddell said no big splashes. So I don’t think any of the names listed above are in contention.

He wants veteran bottom 6 forwards And a defenseman. He also wants to move out bodies

Forwards: Wennberg, Martin, Carrier, Cousins, Janmark, Maroon, Nosek, Girgensens, Lafferty
D: Dillon, Cole, Kulikov, Forbort, Staal, Suter

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
I voted Taney but only if he can be had at a fair price. Overall I don’t like Free Agency because of prices generally being excessively inflated.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I voted Taney but only if he can be had at a fair price. Overall I don’t like Free Agency because of prices generally being excessively inflated.
He just had his rights traded to Toronto so he probably wont even be an option

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So, all in all, I would be satisfied with Forbort and Martinook.

Dillon and Martinook please.

Martinook brings us excellent forechecking.

Dillon nasty shutdown D. Importantly he can actually handle hard minutes. A physical 5/6 guy like Lyubushkin or a 6/7 like Forbort would not be worth nearly as much to us. We need someone we can actually count on in big late game situations.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
The only person on the voting list I would be interested in is Nikita Zadorov and someone is gonna give him stupid money for a 3rd liner.

Really we are not going big game hunting just yet. I expect Dillion and Martinook to be the primary looks like major said. In fact I would go as far as to pull a Gudbranson and slap down a 3 year contract just to run everyone else off.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Victor Arvidsson is also interesting - he's capable of moving up and down the lineup, which is really important I think.

Someone who would throw a fit if we gave their preferred minutes to a younger player, that would not be a good fit. So I'm nervous about guys like Marchessault. And guys who are 4th line only are not as valuable to us because we already have good veterans there. Arvidsson brings us a lot of experience and he's a great role model.

Martinook can't play top six but he can third line I think, so I think he's just versatile enough, and he ups the forecheck and whatever line you put him with. We have guys who need to learn how to forecheck properly.

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Too early for any big signings. I'll take a good example of professionalism over skill. Id like the youth to see a winner in action even with diminished skillls.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I originally said none, but there is one glaring need. We need more vocal leadership within the room. More players that will hold the other players accountable. I don't care if a kid doesn't get gifted with playing time. I'd much rather all of the young players learn (from other players) how to be a professional at this level.

I have a feeling Necas might be coming our way - and I'm OK with that pending what is going out. Waddell "didn't wan't (his) first trade to be with Carolina" which tells me one is in the works. But that doesn't satisfy the aforementioned need.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Victor Arvidsson is also interesting - he's capable of moving up and down the lineup, which is really important I think.

Someone who would throw a fit if we gave their preferred minutes to a younger player, that would not be a good fit. So I'm nervous about guys like Marchessault. And guys who are 4th line only are not as valuable to us because we already have good veterans there. Arvidsson brings us a lot of experience and he's a great role model.

Martinook can't play top six but he can third line I think, so I think he's just versatile enough, and he ups the forecheck and whatever line you put him with. We have guys who need to learn how to forecheck properly.
Martinook is definitely a good addition if we can get him. I think he's going to be pretty pricy though.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Dillon and Martinook please.

Martinook brings us excellent forechecking.

Dillon nasty shutdown D. Importantly he can actually handle hard minutes. A physical 5/6 guy like Lyubushkin or a 6/7 like Forbort would not be worth nearly as much to us. We need someone we can actually count on in big late game situations.
Dillon would be a very nice addition. I was implicitly assuming that he is going to generate a lot of attention in the UFA market, so I tried to find a little more under-the-radar option.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Dillon, Pesce, and/or Tanev.

This team needs guys that can actually play defense.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Dillon would be a very nice addition. I was implicitly assuming that he is going to generate a lot of attention in the UFA market, so I tried to find a little more under-the-radar option.

He'll be expensive but I'd rather overpay for someone who can handle a bigger job. A #6D isn't going to be a solution to our defensive issues. That and we'll get more leadership from someone playing a substantial role, lower lineup guys usually stay quiet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad