Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Management Speaks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 28 26.2%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 31 29.0%
  • Trade

Votes: 48 44.9%

• Total voters

StonedZboril

Jul 8, 2022
He’s probably one of the best. Same as with Boras and the MLB, if my kid ends up a pro athlete, I want THAT guy repping him.
Idk how you can compare him to Scott Boras when his top three contracts minus Swayman are Nylander, Krug and Sandin. That’s not exactly Boras territory.

Reactions: BradPark22

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I don't even see the relevance of these articles in the discussion. If you don't think hockey players (or pro athletes in general) care about what their perceived value to the team is relative to their own teammates (regardless of position) then fine, believe whatever you want. I think it's bizarre that a player negotiating a contract with Don Sweeney can't compare himself to other contracts also signed by Don Sweeney because of the position they play.

He wasn't when he signed that contract.
I don’t care if hockey players care what teammates make compared to them. Thats not how contracts comps work and if you don’t believe that its fine believe whatever you want.

Comp means comparable as in comparable to others that do the same job as you. No negations in the world use comp to mean others you might care about even if they do different jobs than you.

I would love to go into my boss and say i know i work in finance but my pay should be comparable to the IT guys because i care about comparing myself to them even though we do totally different jobs for the same company. My pay is based of what other people in the industry get paid that do the same job as me.

When any HR dept does a market analysis for salary wage adjustments they compare similar roles in the market. Its salary/contract negotiation 101. Personal feels of how you compare to non-comparable jobs does not matter.

And once again swayman knows this because he said “goalie market” when discussing what his next contract will do to the market. The only one who doesn’t get it is you.

Does he care charlie mac makes more then him? No one knows but him. Will it be discussed in his contract comps. Nope

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Most would love Sway as their goalie too I would imagine. What Neely did was stupid and if you can't see that I'm not sure what to say,
I don't think it was stupid, I think he was being honest and good for him. What Neely did today was take Sweeney off the hook somewhat because he is the one calling Swayman and his agent out.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
SJ just traded for Askarov, doubt they'd commit the term to Swayman.

LA doesn't have the cap space. But any team that is trading for Swayman is dealing cap back, and not necessarily in a star or even really good player.

Would probably be a goalie and either middle 6 F + pick/prospect or just a goalie and picks & prospects.

CBJ, ANA and UTA maybe could be landing spots.
Question:

If Swayman isn't signed, how can you trade him? Does he need to be signed first?

Can teams still offer sheet him?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Leafs model doesn't work because they spent it all on forwards.

Imagine if the Leafs had Matthews and Nylander, and then spent the other 20 million on a legit No.1 D-man and a legit star No.1 goaltender.

Seems like what fans around here want is an expansion Vegas or Seattle model, where they have no stars just 18 mediocre skaters making roughly the same amount and 2 average goalies.

When you get star players, you keep them. Something this franchise often takes issue with.
Most are good with $8M for 8 years. That’s a boatload for a goalie. Your quibble is not giving him $9.5M

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

Clearly someone in swaymans camp is leaking stuff to them if this ends up being true.

The statement thing not the Detroit thing

I stand by my earlier post. Love Biz and Whit as entertainers but that is all they are. If you’re on a podcast then your money comes from listeners/views. If that’s the case you run with what’s most entertaining versus what’s verified as true.

I don’t take anything they say as anything more than fodder for this fire.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK

Clearly someone in swaymans camp is leaking stuff to them if this ends up being true.

The source is most definitely Lewis Gross, the agent. Ryan Whitney would have ties to him through Krug (also represented by Gross), who he's friends with and has been on the Chiclets podcast before years ago.

Gross has been using Whitney as his mouthpiece in the media during this entire thing.

BradPark22

Nov 8, 2017
To a certain degree, yes I am.

Connor Hellebuyck signed that contract at 30 years old. And let's be honest, his playoff record is very suspect. He insists on playing 60+ games every year and it shoots him and his team square in the foot every time.

Saros is 29. Still has never won a playoff series. That being said I felt he took less than he should but factor in no state tax and his own desire to stay in Nashville (I assume), that isn't Swayman's problem IMO.

Andrei Vasilievsky was 25 when he signed his current deal max deal and he signed it Summer 2019 before he ever won a cup or Conn Smythe. He wasn't that far beyond Swayman when he inked that deal. A shade over 200 games played and coming off a disasterous playoff in 2019. Then factor in what the cap was then, what is is right now, and where it is expected to be going, 9.5 per for Swayman is starting to look light in comparison. Oh and there is also the no state tax thing there as well.

That's the issue here all summer. There is no goaltender currently under contract that is a true comparable. In every case there are factors that don't line up. Whether it's age, their track record, when they signed, what the cap was, where the cap went, etc. etc. His real comparables are Shesterkin, Oettinger, when healthy I'd add Demko. But they are still on their bridge deals and unfortunately for the Bruins and their fans, someone has to go first among that group and it's Swayman.

Personally I think the numbers of teams who would sign him to 9-9.5 over a 8 year deal are numerous.

Vasi had a Vezina at that point, far and away more clout than Swayman currently has.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Given the teams offer is now public and basically everyone in the universe spare for like 1-2 posters here thinks it's a great deal for Swayman, I'd give him to Friday to sign. That way he could show the team he wants to play and can get a warm up in the final preseason game. If he doesn't sign by Friday EOD I look to trade him. No sense in keeping the rights to a guy who's not interested in playing. Let another team handle his demands and try to get some scoring help.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
The source is most definitely Lewis Gross, the agent. Ryan Whitney would have ties to him through Krug (also represented by Gross), who he's friends with and has been on the Chiclets podcast before years ago.

Gross has been using Whitney as his mouthpiece in the media during this entire thing.
I'd agree with you. And if so, it's on Swayman to kick him to the curb.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Which information? Your not the only one im waiting on for a link where Swayman was talking details about negotiations.

You seem intent on being disingenuous. Perhaps that’s why everyone has broken off discussions with you. I didn’t mention details, you did. I said talk about his contract, which includes arbitration. Same goes for Gross. You know exactly what I’m referring to. With that said, I’m done with your deceitful tact.

Reactions: Bodit9

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
We can all disagree about who has the leverage here between swayman and management.

One thing is for sure, the way this is playing out in the media if this results in a trade the bruins will have no leverage.

Reactions: Pia8988

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Leafs model doesn't work because they spent it all on forwards.

Imagine if the Leafs had Matthews and Nylander, and then spent the other 20 million on a legit No.1 D-man and a legit star No.1 goaltender.

Seems like what fans around here want is an expansion Vegas or Seattle model, where they have no stars just 18 mediocre skaters making roughly the same amount and 2 average goalies.

When you get star players, you keep them. Something this franchise often takes issue with.
Pasta and Mac got paid. They are offering Swayman $64M. They are offering to pay their star player. Honestly don't know your gripe is with them.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA

Augustine would be a solid prospect to add to the org to develop as a future goalie. Detroit has some decent C prospects to. I could see a deal for a 1st, a center prospect, and Augustine being a solid return.

Reactions: KrugAvoy

The Un4casted Storm

May 14, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
And why is that? Why can't a goaltender compare his worth to the organization to that of a forward or D-man? Isn't that what it really comes down to? How much they (the organization) value the player, regardless of position?

By your logic as long as Swayman makes more than his back-up he should be happy. Because he simply isn't allowed to compare his value to the Bruins against any of the Bruin's skaters.

Why did Tampa pay Vasilievsky roughly the same amount as Point and Kucherov. More than Hedman. TB should of told him to go kick rocks here is 7 million per for 8 years you are just a goalie and your not as valued.
8 x $8 million would make Swayman the third highest paid Bruin amongst all roster players behind only Pastrnak and McAvoy and would make him the fifth highest paid active goaltender in the league. I'm having trouble seeing the disrespect here, how is this the Bruins not valuing him relative to other players on the team and in the league?

Respectfully, I don't think your Vasilevskiy comparison works at all here. Vasilevskiy had three seasons as an undisputed starter, had been a league leader wins, had won multiple playoff series, and was just coming off winning the Vezina when he signed that contract. Tampa Bay wasn't hoping or projecting that he would become one of the league's best goaltenders over the lifetime of that contract, he already was. Again, teams pay for potential but they also pay for the certainty that comes from past performance.

Like you, I believe Jeremy Swayman is going to become one of the best starters in the league as his career progresses but we don't know that for certain because he hasn't demonstrated it yet over a large enough sample size. I personally think 8 x $8 million is a fair offer given the projection and risk involved for both sides. If he wants to bet on himself then he'll have to take a shorter term deal with less money in line with his current accomplishments and prove he's a Vasilevskiy tier starter before cashing in later. Just my opinion.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
We can all disagree about who has the leverage here between swayman and management.

One thing is for sure, the way this is playing out in the media if this results in a trade the bruins will have no leverage.
I think with his demands being public, the pool of teams that would be calling about him would be limited. That said the Bruins still hold some leverage as they don't have to make a move. They're content to wait it out.

Reactions: Bodit9

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I think with his demands being public, the pool of teams that would be calling about him would be limited. That said the Bruins still hold some leverage as they don't have to make a move. They're content to wait it out.

What are his public demands do we know?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad