Prospect Info: Which Habs prospect goalie do you feel has the best chance of being our future #1?

Which Habs prospect goalie do you feel has the best chance of being our future #1?

• Total voters

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
True, but he didn't play like a 7th round pick. I'm saying he was at one time considered our goalie of the future. He's still shown signs in Laval and with the Habs of potentially being one. So I"m not prepared to write him off yet. I just wouldn't bet the house on him ever becoming one.

Out of all our current options. I'm leaning towards Fowler as well.
I’ve lost faith in Primeau over the years. Fundamentally, he still has a lot of really bad flaws for a goalie that’s now 25. He’s not a complete lost cause, but I don’t think he’s the future for us either. I guess we’ll see. The guy to keep an eye on right now is Fowler. We have some interesting guys in the pipe line as well. Hopefully some internal competition within the organization pushes one or two of these guys to step up.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I’ve lost faith in Primeau over the years. Fundamentally, he still has a lot of really bad flaws for a goalie that’s now 25. He’s not a complete lost cause, but I don’t think he’s the future for us either. I guess we’ll see. The guy to keep an eye on right now is Fowler. We have some interesting guys in the pipe line as well. Hopefully some internal competition within the organization pushes one or two of these guys to step up.

My thing on Primeau has always been that athletically he's not the strongest, and since he's struggled with the mental game at the NHL level, that has really been the barrier to him establishing himself.

He's still developing enough to be a guy in the NHL which is great for a 7th, but watch Dobes and Volokhin in particular and you'll see a totally different beast in terms of athleticism and power in the net. Fowler is what you get when you have elite IQ and mental game and is still athletically a better goalie than Primeau.

It's tight between Fowler and Volokhin but I'm staying with Volokhin right now, there's something every time I watch him that says if he keeps developing, he could legitimately be a top 5 goalie in the NHL.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
The right type of winning attitude and approach is the key factor IMO and Fowler has that in spades. He's my pick, all he's ever done in his career is win games.
Sort of like Carey Price…Fowler has the talent and attitude to be the man, only way he doesn’t make it is if suddenly decides to become a crack addict. He’s my pick to be #1

I like Volokhin’s chances too, same with Dobes

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Jacob Fowler looks really promising- his winning attitude and the way he transformed his body in one year, I would say 30% probability he becomes true No.1
Jakub Dobeš- great 2nd half of the year, the way he transformed from total crap to one of top AHL goalies shows great mental strength, 10% chance
Evgeni Volokhin- he has a long way to go, but his numbers from MHL look very promising, if he can continue step by step he might end up there, 10% chance

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Dobes but Fowler is close behind. Dobes just has that "Wall" quality that Fowler doesn't have. I'll see though, unsure either make it, but theyre both very good shot, so are Volokhin and Miller.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Currently Fowler, but it's still too early to project anything. We live in an era where the best modern goalie prospects (Askarov, Knight, etc...) are still not NHL regulars after several years.

I always felt Knight got overrated, and I think if Askarov was anywhere else he would at least be a 1B there.

Dostal should surprise this season.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Currently Fowler, but it's still too early to project anything. We live in an era where the best modern goalie prospects (Askarov, Knight, etc...) are still not NHL regulars after several years.
Nashville and the Panthers are two teams with great goaltending depth, that's the only explanation. Also Knight had some mental health issues which slowed him down. Both are NHL players.

The best modern goalie is Hrabal imo though, absolute monster.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I have so much ptsd from being a Hab fan for 30+ years and having goalies be our best players that I couldn’t be bothered to watch any of our goalie highlights lol. That will change soon though.

From what I’ve seen of Dobes though he’s pretty damn impressive. Incredible turn around from him after a rough start. Definitely has real potential. Lots of raw tools to work with. He’s big, battles and is athletic.

The fact that we have two other prospects that many think are better is very heartening.

Reactions: Eegs

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Fowler looks like the best bet I suppose right now, but there is something there with Dobes...if he can harness that size/athleticism combo, he could be something special. I went with him in the poll.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I feel at this point, with the way he finished last season in Laval behind not a great D, Dobes might be the "safest" bet to being the future #1 guy. He's got the size and athletic ability, while having a strong mental game from being able to go from getting lit up every game to start his professional career to being able to finish the season with a .917 save % over the last 39 games.

I would say Fowler likely has the higher ceiling between the two though and it'll be interesting to see how he develops over the next couple of years.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Andorra vs Malta
    Andorra vs Malta
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00