News Article: Training camp & Preseason News & Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

Leon's got some wingers, finally.

Unless that's Stu just to mess with everyone.

I saw some media and fans criticizing the Oilers for signing these guys because it "opened the door" for a Holloway offersheet.

The priority was always Draisaitl. Adding two legit top 6 wingers for him probably played a part in him resigning here.

Both guys came here on deals, which further shows that the organization is committed to winning instead overpaying guys.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I saw some media and fans criticizing the Oilers for signing these guys because it "opened the door" for a Holloway offersheet.

The priority was always Draisaitl. Adding two legit top 6 wingers for him probably played a part in him resigning here.

Both guys came here on deals, which further shows that the organization is committed to winning instead overpaying guys.
The Dithering caused the opening, they signed these guys because they're good at hockey.

Reactions: oilers'72

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I think RNH plays better with Draisaitl than McDavid but it’s good that we have options.

Didn’t see it myself, but Gregor was speaking about Lavoie having some great finish and jump during skates.

It bodes well if a few of the younger guys can see realistic openings and try to push for a spot.

I really hope he takes a step and pushes an older player off the roster.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Captains skates are silly. Was hoping the players would have learned and used the time to rest up as much as possible for another long season and playoffs. For sure this year with the short offseason not sure why they are doing this. My first thought was what if somebody gets hurt. Then Arvidsson dummying McDavid. jebus.

ftr Arvie is like a magician of running into his own players on ice. Fortunately he's not as bulky as Puljujarvi..

I know we all want some hockey action but I can wait. Want the players rested and healthy to start season this time.

Reactions: Duke74 and McHelpus

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Captains skates are silly. Was hoping the players would have learned and used the time to rest up as much as possible for another long season and playoffs. For sure this year with the short offseason not sure why they are doing this. My first thought was what if somebody gets hurt. Then Arvidsson dummying McDavid. jebus.

ftr Arvie is like a magician of running into his own players on ice. Fortunately he's not as bulky as Puljujarvi..

I know we all want some hockey action but I can wait. Want the players rested and healthy to start season this time.

I don’t think the captains skate was as early as last year. This sort of seems more regular and routine to me. But I agree in general, last year was silly.

I really hope we get off to a better start this year. I also hope the leadership group is trying to get others to feel part of the group.

Not sure I love that lines are starting to get formed by the players before anything has happened (even if it is somewhat obvious in this case).

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

f*** dem clouds.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

So you’d rather they show up to camp not in shape?

Every team does this

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
So you’d rather they show up to camp not in shape?

Every team does this
Not every team went all the way to the SC final 7th game. The Oilers were still bone tired in July with having played the entire month of June. The players essentially have had two months off. Not close to enough to repair from rigors of the last 110game season. It really was the shortest Oilers offseason in franchise history.

Its a valid concern that there hasn't been much time to repair.

Reactions: Duke74

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Not every team went all the way to the SC final 7th game. The Oilers were still bone tired in July with having played the entire month of June. The players essentially have had two months off. Not close to enough to repair from rigors of the last 110game season. It really was the shortest Oilers offseason in franchise history.
It’s a good thing these are optional

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

I'm ok with Captain Skates but last season the vets got minimal pre-season action and were not ready out of the gate. Woodcroft wasted pre-season

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005

It was interesting to hear Drai's comments yesterday about how he might have liked another 3 weeks in the gym to work on things. It will be very interesting to see how the short offseason affects the players for sure

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Optional as 18 or more players being on the ice today. Easier to list the starters that are not there.

Don't kid yourself soon as these start theres pressure to be there.
Not worried about informal pre-camp skates. Lots of new faces and a chance to build the personal connections and some on ice chemistry tests as well. McDavid clearly has identified flaws in his hard push last summer and as a team have full understanding of the energy reserve required to play maximum number of NHL playoff games.

However I have concern about this organization opting for the money bag with a maximum 8 pre-season games instead of a minimal number with an old, veteran and largely set lineup.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad