Which Canes Free Agents will be back next year?

Which Canes Free Agents will be back next year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Simple poll to see what fans expect for all of the UFAs/RFAs this year. Which Canes Free Agents will be back next year? Vote for all of the ones you think will be re-signed by Carolina. Poll will be open for 1 week.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
My view:
Jarvis - for sure

Comtois, Drury, Martinook, Chatfield are ones I think will possibly / likely to be re-signed but not a sure thing.

I'm not confident, but I think there's a chance for 1 of Skjei or Pesce, so I picked Pesce.

There's a chance for TT, but it seems that ship has sailed so I didn't select him.
I know they say they want to sign Necas, and I believe it, but I still think he's moved.

Now that you know my views, it's best to choose the opposite because I'm sure it's wrong.

EDIT: Just saw AD's post and that's the only slam dunk I see as well.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Jarvis and Drury are the easy picks to extend, but outside of them, I'll go risky on my predictions: I think the Canes will pick one of Guentzel or Necas and one of Skjei or Pesce to re-sign. I will go with Guentzel and Pesce as my official prediction.
i dont see why we would keep drury honestly. he doesnt bring much to the table. He got 5-10 extra points from Necas. very vanilla with little to no projections due to size and poor shot.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
My view:
Jarvis - for sure

Comtois, Drury, Martinook, Chatfield are ones I think will possibly / likely to be re-signed but not a sure thing.

I'm not confident, but I think there's a chance for 1 of Skjei or Pesce, so I picked Pesce.

There's a chance for TT, but it seems that ship has sailed so I didn't select him.
I know they say they want to sign Necas, and I believe it, but I still think he's moved.

Now that you know my views, it's best to choose the opposite because I'm sure it's wrong.

EDIT: Just saw AD's post and that's the only slam dunk I see as well.
My thoughts are in line with yours plus I did vote for Necas but probably a stupid guess.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
i dont see why we would keep drury honestly. he doesnt bring much to the table. He got 5-10 extra points from Necas. very vanilla with little to no projections due to size and poor shot.

I think he's a good 2 year bridge candidate. Shouldn't be too expensive and is very solid defensively in a 3rd or 4th line role. I'd rather keep him over Martinook considering that he's not yet in his prime and provides a similar forechecking game, though not yet to the same level as Martinook.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
because he's capable of being a very good #3/4 C and is going to be doing so at half the price (or less) of KK. If there really is a taker out there for KK, and it does sound like there is though question is if we'd have to take a bad contract back to do it, you keep Drury 10 times out of 10 between the two.

Jarvis and Comtois are my two no-brainers
Drury because see above
one of Noesen and Marty Party. Marty Party since Noesen will out-price what we can give him on the open market unless he REALLY wants to stay here.
one of Necas and Guentzel. Preference is actually Guentzel there but I picked Necas since I think Guentzel going to market will price us out fast.
one of Chatty, Pesce, Skjei. Preference is Peesh but I think Chatty is the end result due to the cap crunch.

can't see TDA, dude wants to play.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
because he's capable of being a very good #3/4 C and is going to be doing so at half the price (or less) of KK. If there really is a taker out there for KK, and it does sound like there is though question is if we'd have to take a bad contract back to do it, you keep Drury 10 times out of 10 between the two.

Jarvis and Comtois are my two no-brainers
Drury because see above
one of Noesen and Marty Party. Marty Party since Noesen will out-price what we can give him on the open market unless he REALLY wants to stay here.
one of Necas and Guentzel. Preference is actually Guentzel there but I picked Necas since I think Guentzel going to market will price us out fast.
one of Chatty, Pesce, Skjei. Preference is Peesh but I think Chatty is the end result due to the cap crunch.

can't see TDA, dude wants to play.
Drury really doesn’t bring anything. We need to get a righty FO guy as the 4th, preferably with more oomph per 60

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Drury really doesn’t bring anything. We need to get a righty FO guy as the 4th, preferably with more oomph per 60
Agree with your view on his production to-date. I presuming You think Drury has reached his steady state level?

I think he has another level to reach though and could have future value for the Canes or as a trade piece. If we move him, Tripp will be bummed of course.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Comtois, Drury, Jarvis, Chatty.

Everybody else leaves. So does Kotkaniemi. It's a never-acknowledged re-tool year.
I’m right where you are aside from I don’t think even Chatty is coming back. I chose the other three only.

If we don’t get a Hronek and lose Pesce I could see TDA getting a third pair spot depending on who else we get. We’re going to want pp options.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
Per RBA, he’s the ideal Cane so he’s probably received his favorite inner circle pass

is drury anymore ideal than mcginn, or mclovin, or lorentz, or geekie. we let 'ideal' guys go all the time. rod loves fast, but i think we've all written him off as gone next year already. (yeah, geekie expansion drafted. but we could have protected him and hoped they didn't want nino's contract)

maybe drury becomes the new martinook, but i don't think he's some core guy that the borg refuses to lose. we know rod would keep everyone always (except haula - f that guy), but he's also pointed out he doesn't make the decisions. they know how he feels.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
is drury anymore ideal than mcginn, or mclovin, or lorentz, or geekie. we let 'ideal' guys go all the time. rod loves fast, but i think we've all written him off as gone next year already. (yeah, geekie expansion drafted. but we could have protected him and hoped they didn't want nino's contract)

maybe drury becomes the new martinook, but i don't think he's some core guy that the borg refuses to lose. we know rod would keep everyone always (except haula - f that guy), but he's also pointed out he doesn't make the decisions. they know how he feels.

new it boy

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009

Drury won 55% of his faceoffs and was a +7 in the playoffs. 20 even strength points for a 4th liner isn't too shabby. And he should be cheap. And a bit of upside.

Not sure how you upgrade without spending more than you want on a 4th liner.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Drury won 55% of his faceoffs and was a +7 in the playoffs. 20 even strength points for a 4th liner isn't too shabby. And he should be cheap. And a bit of upside.

His line had an xG% of 47.7 in 5v5 play, they performed at 77.7%. Regression expected.

All of his luck was in the Islanders series. 5-1 GF-GA ratio, expected was 2-2. So he was 2-1 against the Rangers with a much higher discrepancy of expected. he gets pushed around in front of the net and doesnt.

he is about as vanilla as they come. Him and KK should be the first to go to get a righty FO guy. Neither one are bringing what we need. KK slightly more because he is can be physical but it aint worth the price tag.

Reactions: Tryamw and Daeavorn

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Was he really playing 4th line minutes, though? Seems he must have been averaging 3rd line minutes at worst.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad