Which Canes Free Agents will be back next year?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which Canes Free Agents will be back next year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
His line had an xG% of 47.7 in 5v5 play, they performed at 77.7%. Regression expected.

All of his luck was in the Islanders series. 5-1 GF-GA ratio, expected was 2-2. So he was 2-1 against the Rangers with a much higher discrepancy of expected. he gets pushed around in front of the net and doesnt.

he is about as vanilla as they come. Him and KK should be the first to go to get a righty FO guy. Neither one are bringing what we need. KK slightly more because he is can be physical but it aint worth the price tag.
You don't seem to like anyone - in your opinion who should we be targeting that is realistic?

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
I was a Chatfield novice going into the playoffs, but after a game or two I assumed he was a high draft pick that I'd just never heard of. Solid, solid player and it'd be crazy to not bring him back at a decent raise. Depending on what the actual numbers are, I'd rather have Chatfield + $3m extra cap space than Skjei.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
You don't seem to like anyone - in your opinion who should we be targeting that is realistic?
Should we?

See what Debrusk's camp is asking.
DeMelo will likely have the most palatable RHD contract in FA. he would be an excellent candidate as a Nikishin partner for 2-3 years.
Stenlund is exactly what our 4th line needs. Grit, Right FO, big guy.

other than that shop the cheap aisle and see who got left out and wants a 1 year deal.
If Pitts is giving Reilly Smith away, he would be a great addition to help hide Kuzy's lack of caring on defense. Smith-Kuzy-Jarvis might be an alright 2nd line.

Reactions: DaveG

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Should we?

DeMelo will likely have the most palatable RHD contract in FA. he would be an excellent candidate as a Nikishin partner for 2-3 years.

other than that shop the cheap aisle and see who got left out and wants a 1 year deal.
If Pitts is giving Reilly Smith away, he would be a great addition to help hide Kuzy's lack of caring on defense. Smith-Kuzy-Jarvis might be an alright 2nd line.
I'd be on board with DeBrusk and DeMelo. Stenlund is big but not especially effective.

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I'd be on board with DeBrusk and DeMelo. Stenlund is big but not especially effective.
Stenlund is big, wont score alot, and does well as a righty FO guy.

He is 2-3 things we need, size and righty FO. Drury isn’t going to score alot, is smaller and another lefty.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Couple thoughts.

Pesce: the only way I see him staying is if he takes a really big $ discount or takes a moderate discount but agrees to at most a 3 year contract, neither of which is in his best interest. In my mind it comes down to the Borg factoring in the risk that his play falls off a cliff due to injury or just general physical breakdown.

Guentzal: I see a better chance of the Borg signing him than Pesce. Would likely only happen if Guentzal evaluates UFA offers and takes a decent discount to re-sign with Carolina. I believe he's sincere in wanting to stay here, the question will be his calculus of the value of team/ city "fit" vs. $. But he's made almost $33m in his career, and depending on his othr UFA offers I could see him considering taking a "Stamkos" with the Canes to make sure to maximize his enjoyment of most of the rest of his career, even though he only spent a couple months with the Canes.

Necas: gone if another team offers up a "hockey trade" that would help the Canes win now, otherwise they'll leverage his RFA status to keep him here for now.

Chatfield: decent chance they keep him.

Jarvis: no need for discussion.

Skjei: only if he signs at a pretty good discount. Not nearly as much of a need on the left side, but also nowhere near the risk of falloff as Pesce.

Turbo: would need to take a really big discount, big enough that he probably shouldn't consider it.

TDA: he gone.

MyLuckyPuck

Jan 5, 2021
Is this team going to be gutted this off-season? This is scary looking at all of these names. It's not like it's just a Fault, or just a Hamilton. There are several names of consequence here.

Edit: Saw chatter about Pesce and TOR and NSH.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Is this team going to be gutted this off-season? This is scary looking at all of these names. It's not like it's just a Fault, or just a Hamilton. There are several names of consequence here.

Edit: Saw chatter about Pesce and TOR and NSH.

It won't be gutted. There's a lot of intriguing names in the trade and UFA market that make sense as under-the-radar successors to some of our guys. I think that Pesce is an underrated candidate to keep because our rumored offer of 5x5 isn't that far off from the rumored UFA values for him, but if he chooses a different team, I think any of Chatfield, Carrier, DeMelo, or Tanev would be good signings for that spot (my preference is either Pesce, Chatfield, or Carrier). Unless Skjei does high-dollar/short-term, I see him as more of a luxury than the other guys. My personal belief is that the Borg will choose one of Guentzel or Necas to sign and then replace the other with a UFA like DeBrusk or even Zucker (as a buy-low). I don't see both leaving the team unless the Necas trade is player-for-player.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Should we?

So TT, Necas, Martinook, Guentzel, Noesen, Drury, Pesce, Skjei and Chatfield out. DeBrusk, Demelo, Stenlund and R. Smith in?

Or do you expect some of those to re-sign and/or few rookies to make the team?

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
So TT, Necas, Martinook, Guentzel, Noesen, Drury, Pesce, Skjei and Chatfield out. DeBrusk, Demelo, Stenlund and R. Smith in?

I would rather keep necas than giving Guentzel big money. Martinook will be back as i put a few posts ago.

I don’t know what other short deals we do. I don’t see any of the other UFAs come back

Reactions: Daeavorn

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011

I'd put Kasperi Kapanen as a possibility in the bottom-6. That feels like a very Carolina-type of swing.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
His line had an xG% of 47.7 in 5v5 play, they performed at 77.7%. Regression expected.

All of his luck was in the Islanders series. 5-1 GF-GA ratio, expected was 2-2. So he was 2-1 against the Rangers with a much higher discrepancy of expected. he gets pushed around in front of the net and doesnt.

he is about as vanilla as they come. Him and KK should be the first to go to get a righty FO guy. Neither one are bringing what we need. KK slightly more because he is can be physical but it aint worth the price tag.

Actual success instead of theoretical success on a team that is known for theoretical wins and actual losses isn't so bad.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well if the only guy we might’ve lost and we find a way to keep is here because we flexed our muscle (as is our right) and made him stay it doesn’t feel like the most harmonious summer is in front of us.

Still, we could end up with a very good team come next season. I accepted this off season a year or two ago as a breaking point so I’m not going to personally get too upset about it. The old version had its chance and we’ll see what the new version is.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I think folks have to realize this is going to be a bad offseason and tge team is going to be worse next year. That's the cost of going all in. They had a team that was probably worth $100 mil on the ice at the start of the playoffs. Cap isnt a $100 mil. They don’t have a big prospect to fill the gaps, yet.

I don’t think theres much of a chance they are bad next season because of how they play and who the coach is, but I wouldn't be shocked if they start the playoffs on the road next season either.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

So far this week: Drury, Jarvis, Skjei, KK, PK, Svechy, Orlov, Kuzy and Aho

It's worth mentioning that while I'm sure there is some direction given to the social media team about guys that may or may not be back that I've frequently seen guys waived, traded, cut across sports on the same day that the social media team is featuring them in some way or wishing them happy birthday or the like. I don't think it's all that closely intertwined at all times.

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
Drury, Jarvis, Necas, Martinhook, Chatfield, Skjei

I think folks have to realize this is going to be a bad offseason and tge team is going to be worse next year. That's the cost of going all in. They had a team that was probably worth $100 mil on the ice at the start of the playoffs. Cap isnt a $100 mil. They don’t have a big prospect to fill the gaps, yet.

I don’t think theres much of a chance they are bad next season because of how they play and who the coach is, but I wouldn't be shocked if they start the playoffs on the road next season either.

Might be a year to pull a Colorado, injuries + bad shooting= lotto team, then they finally draft the longterm #2 to Aho for the next 8 years

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Drury, Jarvis, Necas, Martinhook, Chatfield, Skjei

Might be a year to pull a Colorado, injuries + bad shooting= lotto team, then they finally draft the longterm #2 to Aho for the next 8 years
Injuries to maybe Slavin and Aho could do it, but otherwise they will still be too talented for a real tank job. They could also sign no one and take on some atrocious cap dumps for 1st rounders and buy them out like they did with Marleau to get Jarvy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad