Music: Which Band/Artist Has The Best 10 Greatest Hits?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
While I think the Beatles would be the betting favorites in a top 30, or even a top 20, the top 10 is a little more interesting...

Zeppelin, for example, could put together a very strong top 10 that might look something like this...

Stairway To Heaven
Whole Lotta Love
Immigrant Song
No Quarter
Rock and Roll
Ramble On
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
Black Dog
Dazed And Confused
Kashmir

Pink Floyd's would be formidable as well...

Hey You
Time
Another Brick In The Wall
Wish You Were Here
Comfortably Numb
The Great Gig In The Sky
Any Colour You Like
What Do You Want From Me?
Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Money

The Beach Boys, Radiohead, Tool, maybe Elton John, and, of course, The Beatles would all be contenders as well, IMO, but like in competitive diving, I think degree of difficulty should matter when scoring such lists...

Yesterday, for example, is flawless, but as a musical piece, it's not close to being on the same level as Stairway To Heaven, or Comfortably Numb, or Paranoid Android, or Schism, just to name a few

Last edited:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
For me, The Beach Boys easily. It's very hard to pick only 10 tracks from them but here are my favourites at the moment.
  • California Girls
  • God Only Knows
  • Caroline, No
  • Heroes And Villains
  • Surf's Up
  • Good Vibrations
  • Let The Wind Blow
  • Break Away
  • This Whole World
  • You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
there's a bunch that could give either the beatles or zep a run for their money for best top 10 collection.

ccr
stones
queen
eagles
van halen
billy joel

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
The Legendary Pink Dots:

The Maria Dimension
Brighter Now
Curse
Under Triple Moons
Hallway of the Gods
Basilisk
Stained Glass Soma Fountains
Nemesis Online
Chemical Playschool, Vol.8-9
Crushed Velvet Apocalypse

I was going by albums.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Summoning:

Dol Guldur
Oath Bound
Old Mornings Dawn
Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame
Stronghold
Nightshade Forests
Minas Morgul
Lost Tales
Lugburz
Creation of the Dark Age

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Brian Eno, et alia:

Ambient I-IV (with Harold Budd and Laraaji)
Another Green World
Fourth World, Vol.1: Possible Musics/Dream Theory in Malaya: Fourth World Volume Two (with Jon Hassell)
The Shutov Assembly
The Pearl (with Harold Budd)
Hybrid (with Michael Brook and Daniel Lanois)
Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)
Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks (with Daniel Lanois and Roger Eno)
Before and After Science
Thursday Afternoon

Last edited:
Reactions: kickback256

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
there's a bunch that could give either the beatles or zep a run for their money for best top 10 collection.

ccr
stones
queen
eagles
van halen
billy joel
I'm a huge CCR fan, and even thought to include them in the OP, but I think a lot of the tunes that would be among their top 10 wouldn't do well in a head-to-head competition with some of the monsters Floyd and Zeppelin bring to the table...

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
"Terrible Lie" is another one I really like.
I'd definitely include "Heresy" in my NIN top ten.
I'm a huge CCR fan, and even thought to include them in the OP, but I think a lot of the tunes that would be among their top 10 wouldn't do well in a head-to-head competition with some of the monsters Floyd and Zeppelin bring to the table...
This is all highly subjective. I could probably name a hundred bands whose top ten I like better than the Beatles.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
definitely subjective. there are lots of people out there that despise the majority of the bands posted above, especially the beatles, stones and zep.
Subjectivity plays a part, sure... but chart performance, record sales, sustained relevance, etc. are not subjective... and that should factor in as well

Kashmir isn't among my personal top 10 favorite Zeppelin tunes, but I included it because it's my understanding that it would be considered among their top 10 by a general audience

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Kind of feel like when you put too much stock into all that stuff, it just becomes a uninteresting appeal to popularity/consensus contest, but when you leave it purely subjective, then the top 10 restriction doesn't really add much beyond "what's you're favorite artist?", personally (and when you mix the two things, the question kind of loses purpose for me).

For example, as someone who finds the Beatles great, finds Pink Floyd solid, and finds Led Zeppelin overrated/just okay, that conclusion doesn't really change for me when you focus on just the top 10 songs, personally.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaaaaB's

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
Objectively (in terms of cultural impact, record sales, relevance today, etc.) I think you would have to say The Beatles.

If I am looking at my top 10 favourite songs from each artist, and evaluating which list of songs I would find the most enjoyment in, I have to nominate Mastodon. They are not my favourite band, and I don’t like their entire discography, but some of the songs I like from them are among my favourite songs ever.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
definitely subjective. there are lots of people out there that despise the majority of the bands posted above, especially the beatles, stones and zep.
That's actually irrelevant to the discussion...

If I started a thread asking which franchise had the 4 best centers ever, it doesn't matter that some people despise the Oilers or the Penguins...

The answer may be subjective, but objectively speaking, it comes down to 2 franchises...

Last edited:

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
That's actually irrelevant to the discussion...

If I started a thread asking which franchise had the 3 best centers ever, it doesn't matter that some people despise Gretzky or Lemieux or McDavid or Crosby or Messier or Malkin

The answer may be subjective, but objectively speaking, it comes down to 2 franchises
i mean i see where you're going with this, you and i both agree on the beatles and zep regarding their top 10 collections just like the "norm" would be for the best 2 guitarists of all time are hendrix and eddie van halen.

this is subjective because there are many, and i mean many, groups of people out there that would not even consider both the beatles and/or zep. but if you want to cite objectivity a lot will argue that queen already has displaced zep and the beatles from the mantle for quite some time now. and i would have absolutely have no problem in accepting this norm as the reality that it is today. if you wish to debate this with queen diehards have at it.

i'll take a stab at a queen top 10 just for the hell of it.

we will rock you
we are the chamions
bohemian rhapsody
another one bites the dust
killer queen
spread your wings
i want to break free
don't stop me now
under pressure
somebody to love

Reactions: Neutrinos

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
i mean i see where you're going with this, you and i both agree on the beatles and zep regarding their top 10 collections just like the "norm" would be for the best 2 guitarists of all time are hendrix and eddie van halen.

this is subjective because there are many, and i mean many, groups of people out there that would not even consider both the beatles and/or zep. but if you want to cite objectivity a lot will argue that queen already has displaced zep and the beatles from the mantle for quite some time now. and i would have absolutely have no problem in accepting this norm as the reality that it is today. if you wish to debate this with queen diehards have at it.

i'll take a stab at a queen top 10 just for the hell of it.

we will rock you
we are the chamions
bohemian rhapsody
another one bites the dust
killer queen
spread your wings
i want to break free
don't stop me now
under pressure
somebody to love
Yeah, I should've mentioned Queen in the OP...

I had never heard or heard of Spread Your Wings before you mentioned it, so Bicycle Race or You're My Best Friend would've replaced it in what I would've thought was their top 10

And when you mentioned the 2 best guitarists, I thought you were going to say 'Hendrix & Clapton'

I don't listen to Van Halen, nor do I listen to Stevie Ray Vaughn, but since he's also a highly regarded guitarist, I Googled 'Stevie Ray Vaughn vs Eddie Van Halen' and came across this video...

I read through the top 20 - 30 comments, and each one emphatically said SRV was better...

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Objectively (in terms of cultural impact, record sales, relevance today, etc.) I think you would have to say The Beatles.

If I am looking at my top 10 favourite songs from each artist, and evaluating which list of songs I would find the most enjoyment in, I have to nominate Mastodon. They are not my favourite band, and I don’t like their entire discography, but some of the songs I like from them are among my favourite songs ever.
What's their top 10 look like in your opinion?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
For me, The Beach Boys easily. It's very hard to pick only 10 tracks from them but here are my favourites at the moment.
  • California Girls
  • God Only Knows
  • Caroline, No
  • Heroes And Villains
  • Surf's Up
  • Good Vibrations
  • Let The Wind Blow
  • Break Away
  • This Whole World
  • You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone
I've not heard or heard of half of those songs, so I think this might be a closer representation of what a Beach Boys' top 10 would look like to general music fans...

California Girls
God Only Knows
Good Vibrations
Fun, Fun, Fun,
I Get Around
Barbara Ann
Don't Worry Baby
Surfin' USA
Wouldn't It Be Nice?
Kokomo

Reactions: Mikeaveli

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
Yeah, I should've mentioned Queen in the OP...

I had never heard or heard of Spread Your Wings before you mentioned it, so Bicycle Race or You're My Best Friend would've replaced it in what I would've thought was their top 10

And when you mentioned the 2 best guitarists, I thought you were going to say 'Hendrix & Clapton'

I don't listen to Van Halen, nor do I listen to Stevie Ray Vaughn, but since he's also a highly regarded guitarist, I Googled 'Stevie Ray Vaughn vs Eddie Van Halen' and came across this video...

I read through the top 20 - 30 comments, and each one emphatically said SRV was better...

clapton? perhaps one of the most overrated guitarists of all time. i saw him live at madison sq garden in 1990-91. 85% of his solos sound the same. jj cale he should thank for saving his career during the 70's. bob marley too.

well eddie van halen did say in a magazine that clapton was his main influence growing up. of course i don't really hear it in his playing so whatever. if anything i might hear traces of page and hendrix (sound effects).

advice - if you want it or not: if you don't listen to eddie van halen or srv you might want to refrain from making opinions. cause like you know it makes you look and sound like you don't know what you're writing/speaking about. and your basing on the opinions based on a youtube clip along with the 20-30 comments below?

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
clapton? perhaps one of the most overrated guitarists of all time. i saw him live at madison sq garden in 1990-91. 85% of his solos sound the same. jj cale he should thank for saving his career during the 70's. bob marley too.

well eddie van halen did say in a magazine that clapton was his main influence growing up. of course i don't really hear it in his playing so whatever. if anything i might hear traces of page and hendrix (sound effects).

advice - if you want it or not: if you don't listen to eddie van halen or srv you might want to refrain from making opinions. cause like you know it makes you look and sound like you don't know what you're writing/speaking about. and your basing on the opinions based on a youtube clip along with the 20-30 comments below?
I haven't heard enough of Stevie Ray Vaughn, but I agree that Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen should be near the top from a pure influence standpoint. Probably Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath as well.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
What's their top 10 look like in your opinion?
Purely subjective list based on how much I enjoy each song:

1. Let It Be
2. Golden Slumbers
3. Something
4. Here, There and Everywhere
5. Happiness Is a Warm Gun
6. The Long and Winding Road
7. Lady Madonna
8. The Ballad of John and Yoko
9. Yesterday
10. I’ll Follow the Sun

This could change at any given moment. There are about 30 songs that I considered to make this list.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Except... I didn't give any sort of opinion regarding SRV or EVH

Well now, I've got some advice for you, little buddy
Before you point your finger, you should know that I'm the man
I'm the man and you're the man and he's the man as well
So you can point your f**kin' finger up your ass

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Except... I didn't give any sort of opinion regarding SRV or EVH

Well now, I've got some advice for you, little buddy
Before you point your finger, you should know that I'm the man
I'm the man and you're the man and he's the man as well
So you can point your f**kin' finger up your ass
Relax, dude. It's just an internet discussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad