Where will Connor McDavid rank all-time by the time he retires?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Where will Connor McDavid rank all-time by the time he retires?

• Total voters

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
What an absolutely brutal take lol.

Crosby and McDavid are very close ability/talent-wise.
Crosby is also still ahead of all-time due to longer/fuller career imo, even though McDavid seems well on his way to pass him.

If you want to argue McDavid will have the better career than Crosby did? Sure, that's easy. With all his injuries, Crosby is definitely passable.

If you want to argue that even ignoring injuries - McDavid is better than Crosby ever was? Again - that's possible, McDavid is pretty great. But they're still close. Toews is miles behind either of them.

Like I said - brutal take.
There is a hall of fame career difference between Mcdavid and Crosby at the moment

3+ Rosses, 1 + hart, 1+ lindsay

Crosby has 2 + smythes and 1+ rocket

Crosby is far away from Mcdavid in accolades.

Mcdavid doesnt look like he will fall off a cliff like Crosby did in 2015.

Crosby healthy would equal be slighty ahead of Mcdavid sure but Mcdavid has only 9 years in the NHL vs healthy crosby having 19

Crosby choked 4 years in a row from 2015 - 2018 where he should have won 2 rosses/harts/lindsays at least.

Mcdavid needs 1 more dominant season to be comfortably ahead of fully healthy crosby (2008, 2011, 2012, 2013 years)

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He's not Wayne or Mario. He's not Orr. I think there's already from rumblings about who should be #4 even though Gordie Howe is f***ing Gordie Howe.

I think the top 4 are safe and he comes in to the conversation where Jagr, Sid, and Ovi will be.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I’ll just assume that you are trolling, but if not, this is one of the worst takes I’ve seen in a while. Trophy counting is worthless without context behind it.
Mcdavid has a hall of fame career (auston matthews) difference between him and Crosby.

This is due to Crosby being injured sure but it is true

+ 3 rosses
+1 hart
+ 1 lindsay

Vs

+ 1 Rocket
+ 2 Smythes

The regular season awarda are miles apart. Mcdavid is far out of reach from Crisby for career legqcy/greatness

Best/hockey ability its closer though Mcdavid is still better be a fair bit imo but there they are comparavke still

• Haha
Reactions: sanscosm

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Mcdavid has a hall of fame career (auston matthews) difference between him and Crosby.

+ 3 rosses
+1 hart
+ 1 lindsay

Vs

+ 1 Rocket
+ 2 Smythes

The regular season awarda are miles apart. Mcdavid is far out of reach from Crisby for career legqcy/greatness

Best/hockey ability its closer though Mcdavid is still better be a fair bit imo but there they are comparavke still
This is exhibit 101 for why strictly trophy counting can be really stupid at times.

Sure McDavid is trending on passing Crosby but Sid just came off his 19th consecutive year at a PPG+ and simply has brought more so far in the all time ranking equation.

I say this as a guy who doesn't need McDavid to win a sC to eventually pass McDavid, for many others it will be a huge issue and they have a point but it might become overstated at some point.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
This is exhibit 101 for why strictly trophy counting can be really stupid at times.

Sure McDavid is trending on passing Crosby but Sid just came off his 19th consecutive year at a PPG+ and simply has brought more so far in the all time ranking equation.

I say this as a guy who doesn't need McDavid to win a sC to eventually pass McDavid, for many others it will be a huge issue and they have a point but it might become overstated at some point.
Who cares about being ppg+ when your comparing to Mcdavid?

Mcdavid has 9 years of being top 3 in ppg

That is better than 19 years of ppg+ hockey

19 years of ppg+ with crosbys exoected peak and prime can get him pass or next to tier 2 guys like OV, Jagr, Bobby Hull, Esposito, Lafleur, Beliveau, Richard

But it doesnt get him to the big 5

If Mcdavid pulls a crosby and goes 0 for 4 in the next 4 years (10th to 13th seasons) than I can say he isnt as good I think.

He needs to add 2-3 more ross/hart/lindsays to become undisputed top 3 all time.

Crosby injuries + fall off in his 10th-13th years cost him his shot

Reactions: Video Nasty

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

19 years of ppg+ with crosbys exoected peak and prime can get him pass or next to tier 2 guys like OV, Jagr, Bobby Hull, Esposito, Lafleur, Beliveau, Richard

We get it you really like McDavid and also can't seem to understand how most people grade the all time ranking thing, it's not all about having the best offensive peak or prime here.

Crosby also has the strongest argument for 5th all time right now and frankly I'd make an argument for him over Mario in terms of actual all around impact on his teams and career value.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017

+ 3 rosses
+1 hart
+ 1 lindsay

Vs

+ 1 Rocket
+ 2 Smythes

Once again, all you’re doing is comparing the number of times each of them finished 1st at any given metric. That doesn’t tell us anything except the fact McDavid has had a better peak than Crosby (and less unlucky with injuries), which I don’t think anybody will argue.

Were Crosby’s other seasons where he didn’t win the Hart or the Ross worth nothing to you? That’s basically a whole ~15 year hall of fame career that you’re ignoring because he didn’t win one of the 4 prestigious awards on offense.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
We get it you really like McDavid and also can't seem to understand how most people grade the all time ranking thing, it's not all about having the best offensive peak or prime here.

Crosby also has the strongest argument for 5th all time right now and frankly I'd make an argument for him over Mario in terms of actual all around impact on his teams and career value.
You are a crosby homer

No pens fan would put Crosby close to Mario

Crosby has gotten overrated on here.

He has accomplished nothing to put him ahead of 6th at highest and that is being generous

Crosby's fall off at 28 was absurd. No top 5 player falls off like that when they have no major injuries impacting their game

He went from undisputed best plsyer to being a borderline top 5 guy offensively.

Once again, all you’re doing is comparing the number of times each of them finished 1st at any given metric. That doesn’t tell us anything except the fact McDavid has had a better peak than Crosby (and less unlucky with injuries), which I don’t think anybody will argue.

Were Crosby’s other seasons where he didn’t win the Hart or the Ross worth nothing to you? That’s basically a whole ~15 year hall of fame career that you’re ignoring because he didn’t win one of the 4 prestigious awards on offense.
They were worth nothing in comp to Mcdavid yes

Mcdavid has 4-5 years better than Crosbys best season at 27.

He will keep adding those years and Crosby will not be moving up the all time list as hes done being a franchise player for a while now

Mcdavid can compile his way to greater countung stats than Crosby if you care about being a top 5-10 player but never the best like Crosby was from 2015 - 2022

TheLegend27

May 11, 2024
Seattle
What an absolutely brutal take lol.

Crosby and McDavid are very close ability/talent-wise.
Crosby is also still ahead of all-time due to longer/fuller career imo, even though McDavid seems well on his way to pass him.

If you want to argue McDavid will have the better career than Crosby did? Sure, that's easy. With all his injuries, Crosby is definitely passable.

If you want to argue that even ignoring injuries - McDavid is better than Crosby ever was? Again - that's possible, McDavid is pretty great. But they're still close. Toews is miles behind either of them.

Like I said - brutal take.
They are not close in Talent/ability wise. McDavid has two dominant hart wins in 21 & 23 that were far more dominant than anything Crosby put up. McDavid is a better player than Crosby ever was, most people are past this already. The only reason Crosby is still ahead is due to being in the league 10 years longer + the cups, which are a team achievement. I think with this cup win McDavid super passes him at #5 all time.

Last edited:

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
They were worth nothing in comp to Mcdavid yes
Uh, Crosby’s elite consistency/longevity has pretty much become his calling card to compensate for the lack of full peak seasons,. That consistency is pretty much only rivaled by Howe and Gretzky at this point (maybe Beliveau). So yes, I’d say it’s definitely worth something

Mcdavid has 4-5 years better than Crosbys best season at 27.

That’s arguable, especially if you put a lot of emphasis on dominance vs peers. But yet again, you are talking peak only and ignoring the bulk of Crosby’s career.
He will keep adding those years and Crosby will not be moving up the all time list as hes done being a franchise player for a while now

Mcdavid can compile his way to greater countung stats than Crosby if you care about being a top 5-10 player but never the best like Crosby was from 2015 - 2022

You’re just projecting now. You can’t do that when comparing players careers, especially when your ludicrous statement was made about their careers up until now.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

If Mcdavid pulls a crosby and goes 0 for 4 in the next 4 years (10th to 13th seasons) than I can say he isnt as good I think.

He needs to add 2-3 more ross/hart/lindsays to become undisputed top 3 all time.

Crosby injuries + fall off in his 10th-13th years cost him his shot
Crosby had 10 seasons in top 3 of ppg and 6 in 1st?

Reactions: Nathaniel Skywalker

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Crosby has 10 in 19 years

Mcdavid has 9 in 9 years (5 1st in ppg with full season ross wins)

Do you think Mcdavid is done being a top 3 ross contender? If so what are your arguments for why his game wont age well in his 28-33 year seasons
I don't know when his decline will be more significant, but he is so reliant on his skating to create space that when his acceleration slows his point totals will deep

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I don't know when his decline will be more significant, but he is so reliant on his skating to create space that when his acceleration slows his point totals will deep
He is also the 2nd best PP player ever after Lemieux

His vision, ability to sauce passes, break defenses with his hands and shot threst are next to none

He should be the ross+hart+lindsay favorite for next 3 years at minimum

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
There is a hall of fame career difference between Mcdavid and Crosby at the moment

3+ Rosses, 1 + hart, 1+ lindsay

Crosby has 2 + smythes and 1+ rocket

Crosby is far away from Mcdavid in accolades.

Mcdavid doesnt look like he will fall off a cliff like Crosby did in 2015.

Crosby healthy would equal be slighty ahead of Mcdavid sure but Mcdavid has only 9 years in the NHL vs healthy crosby having 19

Crosby choked 4 years in a row from 2015 - 2018 where he should have won 2 rosses/harts/lindsays at least.

Mcdavid needs 1 more dominant season to be comfortably ahead of fully healthy crosby (2008, 2011, 2012, 2013 years)
Crosby led his teams to 5 championships (3 Cups, 2 Olympic Gold Medals). Case closed

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Crosby has 10 in 19 years

Mcdavid has 9 in 9 years (5 1st in ppg with full season ross wins)

Do you think Mcdavid is done being a top 3 ross contender? If so what are your arguments for why his game wont age well in his 28-33 year seasons

Crosby was top 3 in ppg 11x in his first 12 years (missed in his rookie year).
McDavid was 9x in 9 so far. To me - that's edge to Crosby. Let's see if McDavid can maintain top 3 in ppg as he ages. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, but giving him credit for it ahead of time is insane.

He is also the 2nd best PP player ever after Lemieux

His vision, ability to sauce passes, break defenses with his hands and shot threst are next to none

He should be the ross+hart+lindsay favorite for next 3 years at minimum

I'd agree that McDavid should be the favorite for Hart/Ross/Lindsay for next 3 years at this point (as of today, this could change going into either of the next 2 seasons if someone like Bedard or other steps up big time this upcoming season). But - so was Crosby at a similar age - and he had fantastic seasons (2nd in hart, conn smythes, etc) but without actually winning any of those trophies. So there's no guarantee.

Point is - you're being way too dismissive of Crosby and way to dismissive of McDavid's lack of longevity.

Crosby had some incredibly solid seasons after his 9th year. In fact - in all of NHL history - who has a better record in their 10th to 19th season than Crosby does? He probably has a strong case for being #1 - and if he's not #1 outright he's probably top 5.

Can McDavid age better than Crosby? It's possible, but it remains to be seen.

I think McDavid will almost surely pass Crosby all-time, but he hasn't yet as of season 9, because longevity counts. And your earlier comment saying the gap between Crosby/McDavid is similar to Crosby/Toews is an insane exageration.

Reactions: wetcoast

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Crosby was top 3 in ppg 11x in his first 12 years (missed in his rookie year).
McDavid was 9x in 9 so far. To me - that's edge to Crosby. Let's see if McDavid can maintain top 3 in ppg as he ages. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, but giving him credit for it ahead of time is insane.

I'd agree that McDavid should be the favorite for Hart/Ross/Lindsay for next 3 years at this point (as of today, this could change going into either of the next 2 seasons if someone like Bedard or other steps up big time this upcoming season). But - so was Crosby at a similar age - and he had fantastic seasons (2nd in hart, conn smythes, etc) but without actually winning any of those trophies. So there's no guarantee.

Point is - you're being way too dismissive of Crosby and way to dismissive of McDavid's lack of longevity.

Crosby had some incredibly solid seasons after his 9th year. In fact - in all of NHL history - who has a better record in their 10th to 19th season than Crosby does? He probably has a strong case for being #1 - and if he's not #1 outright he's probably top 5.

Can McDavid age better than Crosby? It's possible, but it remains to be seen.

I think McDavid will almost surely pass Crosby all-time, but he hasn't yet as of season 9, because longevity counts. And your earlier comment saying the gap between Crosby/McDavid is similar to Crosby/Toews is an insane exageration.
We will see how Mcdavid ages.

My toews to Crosby comp was for ppl saying Mcdavid with no cups + but more awards is behind crosby who has 3 cups and less awards

Same ppl were saying crosby was behind Toews or worse to build around in 2015 when cups were 3 to 1 in favor of Toews

Cups shouldnt be an argument whoch truimps what Mcdavid is doing in the regular season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad