Where should Draisaitl rank on his next contract?

Where should Draisaitl rank on his next contract

• Highest paid player in the NHL

Votes: 51 59.3%
  • Second highest paid in NHL

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • Third highest paid NHL

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Fourth highest paid in NHL

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Fifth highest paid in NHL

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Outside of the top five but in the top 10

Votes: 12 14.0%

• Total voters

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Half your Cap on 4 players. Is not smart. I read somewhere. No team has won a Cup. With a single contract over 10M. A Draisaitl trade now is the Oilers best move. Even though the return would be a little underwhelming to most Oiler fans.
This was true, but it was a fact prior to Vegas winning the cup.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Half your Cap on 4 players. Is not smart. I read somewhere. No team has won a Cup. With a single contract over 10M. A Draisaitl trade now is the Oilers best move. Even though the return would be a little underwhelming to most Oiler fans.
Oilers were 2 goals away from winning the cup this year with 30M spent on 3 players on a ~84M cap. If the oilers are spending 38M of 93M cap on Mcdavid, Draisaitl, and Bouchard that is easily workable due to how elite those 3 have been in the playoffs for the oilers

They should lool to find a way to remove Nurse to rather than deal Draisaitl

Nurse is a 5M player making 9.25M. The oilers need him to have a solid year and then hopefully tehy can sell him without retention or to much attached

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Panthers just made it a team with two guys at 10M winning, with Barkov and bobrovsky if I’m not mistaken

In most cases, paying 4 guys your cap doesn’t work, but this might be an outlier where it could

Paying Mcdavid, draisaitl, Bouchard, and unfortunately nurse can work. Those three can win a series basically on their own. Then you add in the fact that guys like rnh and Hyman are underpaid, and you get a situation where you could actually pay the big 3 what they want and try to salvage nurse.

If you swapped nurse for an actual 9 million dollar dman they could easily win, they could’ve maybe won this year.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
In that range, I think 11.5-12
I think this would be great value for the Oilers. I'm sort of expecting him to get McDavid's current deal.

Dude so vastly outplayed is current contract I can't fault him for wanting to cash in. Though there are rumblings that Drai, Bouch and McDavid have talked about taking a little less to help spread the wealth around, so we can only hope it's true.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Technically still true for over 10 million as Eichel, Barkov and Bob were all at exactly 10. But just like we went from no team with 10 million to a team with two, this will change as more and more players make big money.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
While it may currently be true, I think that adage is more about spending it on the *right* players. If it's because of the Leafs' overpaid core, that's because you're paying too much money for playoff ghosts.

If a player is going to be making that type of money, then they'll have to perform above and beyond to make up for whatever lack of depth it causes your roster.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
While it may currently be true, I think that adage is more about spending it on the *right* players. If it's because of the Leafs' overpaid core, that's because you're paying too much money for playoff ghosts.

If a player is going to be making that type of money, then they'll have to perform above and beyond to make up for whatever lack of depth it causes your roster.

Exactly. Like the Pens in ‘17 had Crosby-Malkin at an equivalent of nearly 22 million under today’s 88 million cap, but they were both good enough to make up for shortcomings elsewhere.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
He was massively underpaid. No way he takes a discount this time around.

Back pay. Yuge contract incoming.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I think he takes Mcdavids current deal at a discount of 1-1.5M

12.5M x 8

Mcdavid signs 14M x 8

Bouchard 10.5M x 8

Those three insane playoff production is enough to allow oilers to win or compete heavily for a cup despite so much tied to 3 players
That would be a dream for Oilers fans. That is cheap for McDrai. Maybe a little High for Bouchard.
I cant see any reason Drai should take any less than Matthews so if he did it would be a real deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad