Where is the 1972 Summit Series Totem Pole?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OilerMcLord

Oct 9, 2003
Hello hockey experts! I’ve researched this question, but I have not been able to find an answer. I’m hoping that the experts at HFBoards can help me out.

During the 1972 Canada-Soviet Summit Series, Team Canada presented a Totem Pole as a gift to the Soviets before game 8. In fact the ceremony for the gift was almost cancelled by the Soviets, but Canada forced them to accept it.

My question is, does anyone know where the Totem Pole is? Can it still be seen in Russia, or has it been destroyed or discarded?

Thank you in advance!

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
I didn't remember this, but I went back and watched the start of the broadcast of Game 8. Yeah, that's a good-sized totem pole.

I have no idea where it is, but exchanging gifts was very common in international games like this, so I wonder where any of the gifts ended up. For Canada, does Hockey Canada have some of them? Are some of them in Alan Eagleson's living room?

Last edited:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
normal.png

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
I remember the footage of Alan Eagleson bringing it out on the ice. Honestly, it could be anywhere. It honestly could have been firewood right after that. The latter wouldn't surprise me in the least. These are just ceremonial things before the game, I am not sure anyone was thinking that a totem pole given prior to the game was going to be worth anything. But it would be interesting to have in the Hall of Fame or something. It's part of history. Prior to the biggest game in hockey history, that's got to be worth something if it is still in existence. But yeah, that looks heavy. Eagle was sort of sliding it out there but the two young men that took it away had to lift it and it didn't look light. Not sure why they chose that as a gift.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I remember the footage of Alan Eagleson bringing it out on the ice. Honestly, it could be anywhere. It honestly could have been firewood right after that. The latter wouldn't surprise me in the least. These are just ceremonial things before the game, I am not sure anyone was thinking that a totem pole given prior to the game was going to be worth anything. But it would be interesting to have in the Hall of Fame or something. It's part of history. Prior to the biggest game in hockey history, that's got to be worth something if it is still in existence. But yeah, that looks heavy. Eagle was sort of sliding it out there but the two young men that took it away had to lift it and it didn't look light. Not sure why they chose that as a gift.
It wasnt the pole that was heavy. It was Alan's pockets loaded down with the the money he stole from Bobby Orr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad