Speculation: Where does Ullmark go?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think we all expected, and still expect Ullmark to be traded, especially since the Bruins had a trade for Ullmark at the deadline that he blocked.

Now that NJ has Markstrom, and LA has acquired their goalie via the PLD trade which was NOT something I expected to wake up to.

2 of the prime candidate looking for goalies are off the board.

So where does he go?

Toronto and Ottawa are both looking for goalies, in Toronto's case they have to bring in a goalie, they only have 1 under contract.

We know Ottawa is looking for an upgrade.

Problem is I don't know how Boston would feel about sending Ullmark to a team in their division

Plus Ullmark has a NMC would he waive it for Ottawa? They have been bad for years and it looks like that might continue for awhile.

Toronto is good so I suspect he'd waive for them but I don't know that Boston would want to send Ullmark to Toronto where he would address their biggest need.

But to me Toronto and Ottawa are the obvious choices.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
final year of his contract so he'll want to go somewhere that can offer him a long term extension and where he'd be the clear cut #1.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Where, I’m not sure… But I think Boston is going to get a big return after seeing what Markstrom went for.

Markstrom went for next to nothing

I probably wouldn't stake anything on Kuemper being the end game in goal for LA although who knows if he'd change his mind about LA at this point. To me Ottawa is more likely than Toronto

The issue is would he waive to go to Ottawa?

• Haha
Reactions: HuskyBruinPride

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I probably wouldn't stake anything on Kuemper being the end game in goal for LA although who knows if he'd change his mind about LA at this point. To me Ottawa is more likely than Toronto
Keumper would be a pretty expensive back up. Unless LA gets Ullmark and flips Keumper to Toronto/Ottawa?

Ledge And Dairy

He almost certainly is. LA doesn't have the cap space to bet on another goalie. They are also familiar with Kuemper and he isn't that far removed from being a cup winning goalie

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Weren’t LA and NJ on his 15 team NTC? I always doubt that someone is waiving for Ottawa, but maybe his list is just unconventional?

I think he just doesn't want to leave. Wouldn't surprise me if his list is created to make it as difficult as possible to actually trade him.

I do think he makes a reasonable July 1 trade guy. Get the new deal in place, give him a full no move for 3 years and he may be amenable to waiving for more teams than he was at the deadline. I think stability is important and from my understanding, geography is, but just my guess

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
A middle 1st round pick and a 3rd pairing defenceman for a 34-35 years old goaltender, it's nothing?

Be ready to pay way more for the best goaltender save percentage wise in the last 2 years combine in the NHL.

1st + top prospect should be the floor.

If it's a late first, it's a pretty typical rental return. I still think thats a good return for Markstrom, but teams give those type of trade packages for short term returns all the time.

Also, these things don't always translate like that. There's a reasonable chance that Markstrom wanted to leave Calgary more than go to any specific destination. I'm not sure that Ullmark will be as open, tbh. Just really seems like he doesn't want to leave.

You have to either give Ullmark a new deal (I'd wager the floor is 5 years, 6 million) or he's a rental. I think he's a good target for a trade after the draft for just this reason though.

It would not at all surprise me if the return on Ullmark is comparable to what Markstrom got back....but a lot of that is going to depend on how open Ullmark is to moving, which is a question that I can't really answer.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
A middle 1st round pick and a 3rd pairing defenceman for a 34-35 years old goaltender, it's nothing?

Be ready to pay way more for the best goaltender save percentage wise in the last 2 years combine in the NHL.

1st + top prospect should be the floor.

The pick is top 10 protected AND Calgary retained Salary.

Yeah Markstrom went for next to nothing

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
On top of Ottawa/Toronto, some thought to Colorado/Utah maybe in the market to upgrade.

Ballpark goalie tandems at the moment:

UFA:
Samsonov-Talbot-Brossoit
Stolarz-Kahkonen-Wedgewood-Nedeljkovic-Lankinen-Pickard-DeSmith-Driedger-Jones-Reimer-Copley-Comrie-Raanta

ANA: Gibson - Dostal
CGY: Wolf - Vladar
EDM: Skinner - Campbell
LAK: Kuemper - Rittich
SEA: Grubauer - Daccord
SJS: Blackwood - Vanecek
VAN: Demko - Silovs
VGK: Hill - Thompson

ARZ: Ingram - Vejmelka
CHI: Mrazek - Soderblom
COL: Georgiev - Annunen?
DAL: Oettinger -
MIN: Gustavsson - Fleury
NSH: Saros - Lankinen
STL: Binnington - Hofer
WPG: Hellebucyk -

BOS: Ullmark - Swayman - Bussi
BUF: Luukkonen - Levi?
DET: Husso - Lyon
FLO: Bobrovsky - Knight
MON: Montembeault - Primeau
OTT: Korpisalo - Forsberg
TBL: Vasilevskiy - Johansson?
TOR: - Woll

CAR: Andersen - Kochetkov
CLB: Merzlikins - Tarasov
NJD: Markstrom - Allen
NYI: Sorokin - Varlamov
NYR: Shesterkin - Quick
PHI: Ersson - Fedotov
PIT: Jarry -
WSH: Lindgren -

Reactions: RANDOMH3RO

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Someone, (maybe Dreger?), said that Ullmark blocked a trade to L.A. because he wants to stay in the east for easier travel to Sweden, where he is from.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Leafs have a terrible trade track record with boston, but ullmark seems like the steady 1g the Leafs need. I'd hate to give up a first, but seems like it's needed to get him. Not sure what else, if anything would be needed.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Leafs have a terrible trade track record with boston, but ullmark seems like the steady 1g the Leafs need. I'd hate to give up a first, but seems like it's needed to get him. Not sure what else, if anything would be needed.
Please, no we did that last time and backfired with Rask. No way I give them our 1st pick.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Would be hilarious to see Boston and Toronto do another goalie trade. His refusal to go out west will really limit the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad