Where do you think McDavid will fall on the all-time leaderboard for consecutive 100-point seasons?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
As others have mentioned, health is the main factor. Many of these guys could have done more in a row but health held them back. McDavid was a little "lucky" to have his injury last year at the end of the season. At this point it seems likely he'll do his 4th this year as he's already halfway there and unless he misses 20+ games, he will hit it. Given league scoring it's hard to see him not hitting 100 for the foreseeable future, but you really never know with these things. After 13-14, people here were predicting Crosby to win 3 or 4 more Art Rosses and hit 100 every year, and he only just hit 100 again this past year. I think he looks capable of doing it throughout his 20s, but realistically I'd say he'll hit 5 or 6 just because of how often something happens in a single year. One thing to keep in mind is the CBA ending after the 21-22 season. With a new TV deal and Seattle expansion, things might be rosy enough where we don't have another stoppage, but that could easily stop any streak if there is a prolonged one the same was the 94-95 one stopped Gartner's 30 goal streak.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Thanks for the almost 2 minute video that featured a bump on Gretzky in front of the net, being ridden into the boards by his buddy Messier, and the hit that ended Bill McCreary's career. Thank you for proving my point.

You’re the one who claimed he never got hit.

I proved you wrong. Yes, it was only two minute videos. That’s all I needed.

Reactions: Ol' Jase

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The only way he doesn’t end up in the top 2 is because of injuries, and even then, he’d have to miss at LEAST like 15-20 games to not have a shot at cracking 100. Heck, at his current pace, he’d only have to play 59 games to hit 100 points.

So basically, this comes down to do you think he misses like a third of the season one year. With the way the NHL refuses to call the rulebook fairly, it wouldn’t surprise me if something happened, but I’m sure hoping it doesn’t.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
If he stays healthy, it's not out of the question that he gets 10+, or even more, to be honest.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If he stays healthy and plays 70+ games a a season I just don’t see him not getting many more 100pt season.
I see him finishing 2nd behind Gretzky.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Injuries kept a lot of these guys - including Gretzky - from getting more. It kept Crosby from getting 9 in a row. Or at least on projection. He had 4 in his first 5 years, the 3rd year he had injuries but was on pace for it. Then injuries in 2011, 2012 and the lockout in 2013 which he was easily on pace for. Then an actual 104 point year in 2014. Only in 2015 did he actually stop missing out on the 100 point season on his own doing.

So basically Sid while healthy likely has 9. I can see McDavid having something similar if he stays healthy.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
LOL @ Gretzky never having to be hit or held and having Semenko to keep everyone from touching him.

PLEASE-TRY-AGAIN.png

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
It’s all about injuries. Mario would’ve had 15 in a row (not including the 3 he missed) of prorated 100 point seasons. Not sure if injury frequency has dropped but I have to assume it’s easier on the body with less slashing, hooking, hitting, and interference than any era before. Conor has a good chance of double digits.

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
Injuries kept a lot of these guys - including Gretzky - from getting more. It kept Crosby from getting 9 in a row. Or at least on projection. He had 4 in his first 5 years, the 3rd year he had injuries but was on pace for it. Then injuries in 2011, 2012 and the lockout in 2013 which he was easily on pace for. Then an actual 104 point year in 2014. Only in 2015 did he actually stop missing out on the 100 point season on his own doing.

So basically Sid while healthy likely has 9. I can see McDavid having something similar if he stays healthy.
I count 17 for Wayne if we give him the benefit of the doubt on the lockout shortened season.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It’s all about injuries. Mario would’ve had 15 in a row (not including the 3 he missed) of prorated 100 point seasons. Not sure if injury frequency has dropped but I have to assume it’s easier on the body with less slashing, hooking, hitting, and interference than any era before. Conor has a good chance of double digits.

McDavid had that horrific leg injury in the final game last year. He is lucky that was in April and he had almost 6 months to heal. All I am saying is that in his final year of the OHL he had a fight, broke his hand and missed 15 or so games. In his rookie NHL year he had that collision vs. Philadelphia and missed 35 games. So he probably doesn't get the 9 that Crosby would/could have gotten because Crosby didn't do it either. Injuries catch up with you. Mario's back caught up with him, Yzerman's knee in 1994. I hope the kid is healthy for a long time though.

Reactions: The Wizard of Oz

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Thanks for the almost 2 minute video that featured a bump on Gretzky in front of the net, being ridden into the boards by his buddy Messier, and the hit that ended Bill McCreary's career. Thank you for proving my point.
You should stop before you embarrass yourself further. Wayne Gretzky was hit countless times in his career, just like any other high-skill player of the 70s / 80s / 90s. Today's stars are indeed fortunate to play in an almost no-hitting League where it's possible to stand around the front of the net without getting killed.

A few "highlights" of Gretzky's career, since you clearly weren't there and don't know what you're talking about:
-- The Bill McCreary hit -- which didn't end McCreary's career, was not penalized, and preceded no retribution by any Oiler
-- Edmonton @ Boston in 1984-85 -- Gretzky was nailed really hard at the bench (no penalty). This did receive retribution.
-- 1985-86, at L.A.: Gretzky is punched hard in the head by Dave Taylor
-- 1987 playoffs: Gretzky's head is grabbed from behind by Hawerchuk and slammed to the ice (concussing him). No penalty, no retribution.
-- 1987 playoffs: About 10 days later, Gretzky's makes the "game-winning" pass to Krushelnyski in Detroit, with about 90 seconds left to play, and is completely destroyed by another hit at the moment he passes (no penalty, no retribution).
-- 1990 playoffs, second round, game three: Gretzky is destroyed on the boards by Oilers' bruiser Steve Smith (start of his back problems), ending his season
-- 1991, Sept: In the Canada Cup, Gretzky is nailed from behind on the boards by Gary Suter, ending the tournament for him (this ends Wayne's prime years too)

Etc., etc. I could go on, and there is video proof of most of these if you require it. The idea that Gretzky was "protected" is absurd. As far as "goons" go, every team in that era had them to protect their star players since the NHL didn't. Ever heard of Bob Probert?

Back to the topic: I agree with the consensus that the sky's the limit for McDavid, as long as he's healthy. His blistering speed will likely start to reduce a bit after a few more years, but then again his skill level will probably stay or even increase a bit. The advantage that stars emerging in his era have over Crosby or Ovechkin is that the NHL is far 'wimpier' now than ever before, so the chances of being nailed from behind or whatever are very small.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
LOL @ Gretzky never having to be hit or held and having Semenko to keep everyone from touching him.

Semenko stopped playing for Edmonton after 86.

Sure there was McSorely afterwards, but maybe - just maybe - Gretzky was so good he was able to get away from players on his own?

Also boo hoo he had a bodyguard.... this was the 80s where teams were willing to have a guy attempt to end 99's career every game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad