OT: Where do the Sens rank in the Atlantic for 2024-2025?

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Yeah, I agree. I think we're better than we're giving ourselves credit for. A lot went wrong last year for this team, starting with non-existent coaching for training camp and the first 26 games (which coincided with by far our easiest schedule).

Then we were subjected to league worst goaltending, a debilitating injury to our #1C, the outright loss of our #2 C, the loss of our #3 C for half the year and only one decent RHD. Despite all that we played at a 90 point pace for the entire second half. 90 points would have put us 1 point shy of the playoffs.

Now coming into this year we have categorically eliminated two of our main problems. We have a coach who will actually coach (like him or not) and we have a proven, very consistent goalie.

Our other major issues range from very unlikely to repeat to a reasonable chance they will happen:

1. Stü playing injured the whole year is very unlikely to happen again. - 90% chance this problem is not an issue
2. Norris is still a question mark. I'd say there is 40% chance that he misses a large portion of the year. - 60% chance this is not an issue
3. Losing Pinto for 41 games. - 95% chance this is not an issue.
4. 1 decent RHD - 95% resolved

Our offseason has been far from perfect but we have addressed a lot of our issues. Couple that with some internal growth that is to be expected from the likes of Greig, Stützle, Sanderson and Pinto and I think we're significantly improved.

I think this team pushes 100 points and challenges for 3rd in the division.

Come at me bros!!
LOL Chabot and Norris will go down. We don’t have another capable LD that can replace Chabot’s minutes. Pinto, and Grieg are still relatively young and could struggle playing a full season of 2C and 3C if Norris gets injured. I would consider the 3rd pairing of Kleven and JBD a lower tier for 3rd pairing. Only 120 games combined between those two. They will get eaten up by the matchup. High possibility that Giroux and Perron could regress.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
LOL Chabot and Norris will go down. We don’t have another capable LD that can replace Chabot’s minutes. Pinto, and Grieg are still relatively young and could struggle playing a full season of 2C and 3C if Norris gets injured. I would consider the 3rd pairing of Kleven and JBD a lower tier for 3rd pairing. Only 120 games combined between those two. They will get eaten up by the matchup. High possibility that Giroux and Perron could regress.
You can do that with almost any team.

Reactions: milkbag and Arogie

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
For sure. Injuries are part of the game.

It is a fair point about an injury to Chabot and/or Sanderson though. Kleven in the top 4 and a guy like Roos behind does not inspire confidence.
If Tanev gets hurt Timmons is in the top 4. We need to add a couple depth piece we can call up.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Stutzlaaaa

Dec 18, 2021
Atlantic division is really the toughest division in the league , unfortunatly I don't see few changes as Top teams are still strong and it will be hard for bottom team to leap frog them. The only is having a really strong start to the season so here is how think standing will be:

Toronto- These guys are still really good season team
Florida
Boston*
Tampa*
Detroit*
Ottawa*
Montreal
Buffalo

*I think these 4 teams will fight for 3rd seed , and the one who had a strong start will be probably be the one ending season at 3.

I think we will see two Atlantic team in the wildcard ,so this will probably give us more chance to make the playoff this year.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Atlantic division is really the toughest division in the league , unfortunatly I don't see few changes as Top teams are still strong and it will be hard for bottom team to leap frog them. The only is having a really strong start to the season so here is how think standing will be:

Toronto- These guys are still really good season team
Florida
Boston*
Tampa*
Detroit*
Ottawa*
Montreal
Buffalo

*I think these 4 teams will fight for 3rd seed , and the one who had a strong start will be probably be the one ending season at 3.

I think we will see two Atlantic team in the wildcard ,so this will probably give us more chance to make the playoff this year.
I think Florida will take a step back, they lost their top D and their #5, and I don't think they replaced either. Those two were also 1st and 2nd among d on their PP. Bob is getting older and on top of that they'll have the cup hangover.

Reactions: Flamingo and LiseL

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Wings fans really seem to think that the numbers just go up.

They're legit pleased with themselves over a Kane Compher Tarasenko second line.

I feel bad for what's about to happen to them. Nah I don't.

• Haha
Reactions: Alex1234

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Boston improved
Florida step back
Toronto neutral
Tampa neutral
Detroit step back
Ottawa improved
Buffalo neutral
Montreal neutral

This only takes into account player moves not player progression/regression

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Yes, Toronto is better. Florida im not so sure on paper, but they have a team structure already in place thats much better overall defensively than anything we have here.
Isn't that what SS was trying to address with coaching/roster changes? The new players all play a 200-ft game, are harder to play against and know what it takes to win. Bringing in a stay-at-home RD should allow Chabot to find his game. Perron is good on the walls and winning puck battles. Armadio can play Center or Wing. The question now is will the core players buy in to playing the 200 ft game and compete in every game? Will the team be relatively healthy? I feel more confident with this group than last year's group.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Isn't that what SS was trying to address with coaching/roster changes? The new players all play a 200-ft game, are harder to play against and know what it takes to win. Bringing in a stay-at-home RD should allow Chabot to find his game. Perron is good on the walls and winning puck battles. Armadio can play Center or Wing. The question now is will the core players buy in to playing the 200 ft game and compete in every game? Will the team be relatively healthy? I feel more confident with this group than last year's group.
Yes but in fairness I think it’s a lot different trying to establish that vs it being second nature to more experienced teams.

Jensen kind of talked about that today on Coming in Hot, how when you’re making the playoffs every year it just feels easy and then when you don’t it’s a grind trying to get back.

Florida doesn’t have to learn to employ the structure, it’s instinctual to them by now. We’re still trying to figure it out.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Boston improved
Florida step back
Toronto neutral
Tampa neutral
Detroit step back
Ottawa improved
Buffalo neutral
Montreal neutral

This only takes into account player moves not player progression/regression
I think Toronto improved, their D and goaltending is better than it was last year.

I’m also torn between Tampa being neutral or improved.

Boston I could see being neutral if Korpi plays poorly and offsets their other improvement, but hard to tell with him.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
They are still better and deeper, and overall better. That 3rd pair could be a disaster, needs an experienced vet, and it shouldn't be Hamonic.

Toronto is better than us because their better (significantly) at the top end of their roster (Matthews, Nylander and Marner).

Their depth at forward and defense is pretty bad though.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I see them all as basically neutral other than Florida on paper. Shuffling of the deck chairs trying to find a better mix. Senators somewhat too, but a goaltending upgrade was sorely needed more than any of the others. Toronto needed a goalie, but more to pair with Woll.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
Sitting nicely in the wildcard position(s) is my realistic guess. I really think we're going to take a step forward this year.

3rd in the Atlantic if you give me a few beer first.

• Haha
Reactions: LiseL

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Toronto is better than us because their better (significantly) at the top end of their roster (Matthews, Nylander and Marner).

Their depth at forward and defense is pretty bad though.
In the regular season for sure, but those guys are just not effective in the playoffs. I think our guys will have an extra gear in the postseason, especially Brady.

But I guess this is just about the regular season standings so nvm 😅

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Regardless of all doom mongers around here, I think this off-season may end up showing significant results.

I won't and we shouldn't go talking any shit on the main boards - that was done too much the last couple years. Better to succeed and then rub it in the face of certain abrasive posters.

Staios has addressed the main structural issues. We have a new coach and better hockey people in charge. Above average goal tending should come with Ullmark and an actual defensive system. No doubt we will add a depth player or two - which will help.

Provided we don't get unlucky with injuries and we get the majority of the season with Stutzle, Norris and Pinto playing, I could see is finishing anywhere from 2nd to 4th in the east.

This team needs stability, structure and systems. What Staios has done may look unsexy - I think/hope it has gone far to take the Melnyk/Dorion stink off this team!

Reactions: LiseL

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think Florida will take a step back, they lost their top D and their #5, and I don't think they replaced either. Those two were also 1st and 2nd among d on their PP. Bob is getting older and on top of that they'll have the cup hangover.
Not to the point where they miss though. Tampa also got worse. However both Boston and Toronto got better. Boston, Toronto, Florida all are locks. It's about being better than Tampa, Detroit and Buffalo.

Alot hinges on this teams ability to stay healthy, a new coach and the young players taking another step.

I am not counting on Norris playing at all. His situation really screwed up the sens cap situation. I don't think they need him but they do need his cap to add some depth on d and up front.

Reactions: SENStastic

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I see them all as basically neutral other than Florida on paper. Shuffling of the deck chairs trying to find a better mix. Senators somewhat too, but a goaltending upgrade was sorely needed more than any of the others. Toronto needed a goalie, but more to pair with Woll.
We still need a good goaltender for the future; Ullmark has 1 year left to UFA.
We still need a top 4 RD; Jensen is 34 and ageing out so he is likely a bottom 6 pair defensemen..
We just traded away a good 3rd liner in Joseph plus a third for NOTHING!
We need a top 6 winger; Perron is ageing out.

Next season does not look good; I doubt we make the playoffs.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We still need a top 4 RD; Jensen is 34 and ageing out so he is likely a bottom 6 pair defensemen..

1. I don't think we can assume Ullmark is gone after this season, all signs so far point towards him being open to extending here
2. how is Jensen likely a bottom 6 defender? He's been playing 20 mins a night the last three years, he certainly not a long term solution, but 2 seasons as the #4 should be fine. After that, Yakemchuk should be getting very close if not ready.
3. We traded them away for Cap space. You'd think after seeing how crippling a complete lack of capspace was last year, fans would be more attuned to value that flexibility brings. That's not to say there isn't room for criticism, I think Keeping Joseph and not picking up Amadio would have been a better option, but there could be more to the story as to why they wanted to move on from Joseph.
4. Sure, Perron is here short term, Giroux too. Both guys will need to be replaced at some point. I hope that Greig and Norris can be the answer leaving us with a top 6 of Tkachuk, Stutzle, Batherson, Greig, Pinto and Norris down the road, but if not we will need to address that with external options. We also will need to fill out the 3rd line if those two become top 6 guys, I think Ostapchuk has potential down the road, as does Halliday, and Crookshank. Amadio looks like a solid 9th fwd but we desperately need some prospects to pan out and backfill the 3rd line.

With the amount of turnover we had this offseason, it's hard to say how good next year will look. We'll have to wait and see.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
It would be so nice if we got a bit of luck for a change. If this year or next one of the kids just gets another level. Be it Crookshank, Ostapchuck or whoever. (Just throwing out a couple names) Or a defenceman. All of a sudden we have a 3rd/2nd line tweener, a guy who can play on the second D pair...out of nowhere, unsuspected. I think we are due. Please let me have this moment of hopefulness before you guys smash it with reality.

Ok. I'm good. Smash away. Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: DrEasy and LiseL

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

I'm confident he'll sign, but also if we have to reset, at least Korpisalo's contract is gone. And if Ullmark does stay, he has a #1 resume unlike all the backups we've brought in.
I don't think so. Jensen is turning 34 soon, not quite yet. We can get 2 years out of him as a top 4.
We brought in a better one for a little less, so oh well imo. Amadio has produced similarly and been the much better goal scorer the last 3 years.
Perron will be fine for the short time he'll be there. 47 points last year and has been in that range or a bit higher 8 years in a row. He's a pro.

I see the concern, but I'm more confident I guess.

Reactions: GCK and LiseL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad