OT: Where do the Sens rank in the Atlantic for 2024-2025?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
At this point I’ll rank them

Boston
Toronto
Florida
Tampa
Ottawa
Buffalo
Detroit
Montreal

Note: There is some hopeful homerism in the Sens placement

Reactions: Cosmix and Icelevel

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Boston
Toronto
Florida
Tampa
Ottawa
Buffalo
Detroit
Montreal

When you look at our roster (even though I like most of the players) and then the level of competition in the division and rest of the league it can be a bit crushing.

It won’t be easy.

Reactions: SENStastic

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If all goes well and everyone is healthy, I could see 5th in the division. The roster is really not as good as last year, all lies on the coaching, goaltending and health factors.

Planting Korpisalo in Boston was intentional to lower their position. 4D chess by Staios.

I hope people are prepared at the possibility that Korpisalo has better stats than Ullmark next season. Speaking of Boston, they added Zadorov and Lindholm damn. Their defense is extremely good

I see a stat, that we are 26 7 3 when the goalie for above 900. I feel this year , we gonna be the Canucks

It's a nothingburger stat, every team is going to have a good record when their goalies are above 0.900, maybe it was more extreme for us considering how bad our goaltending was.

I don't think we have acquired the top 4 RD we needed. The veteran forward we acquired is declining too.

I'd take Joseph over Perron without even thinking... Do people know for example that Joseph OUTSCORED Perron last year at EVEN STRENGTH? 33 pts for Joseph (+2 on the PK) vs 30 for Perron! And not only we pay Perron 1.0 more and he is 9 years older, we PAID a 3rd round pick in that process.

Joseph is one of the fastest skaters in the league with some of the best PK metrics, younger, cheaper, better all around. That swap was extremely DUMB, makes Dorion look like a genius lol

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If all goes well and everyone is healthy, I could see 5th in the division. The roster is really not as good as last year, all lies on the coaching, goaltending and health factors.

I hope people are prepared at the possibility that Korpisalo has better stats than Ullmark next season. Speaking of Boston, they added Zadorov and Lindholm damn. Their defense is extremely good

It's a nothingburger stat, every team is going to have a good record when their goalies are above 0.900, maybe it was more extreme for us considering how bad our goaltending was.

I'd take Joseph over Perron without even thinking... Do people know for example that Joseph OUTSCORED Perron last year at EVEN STRENGTH? 33 pts for Joseph (+2 on the PK) vs 30 for Perron! And not only we pay Perron 1.0 more and he is 9 years older, we PAID a 3rd round pick in that process.

Joseph is one of the fastest skaters in the league with some of the best PK metrics, younger, cheaper, better all around. That swap was extremely DUMB, makes Dorion look like a genius lol
It must be the "intangibles" that Staios saw and is counting on to get into the playoffs. I don't see any of them.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Ottawa, Buffalo, and Detroit are all above MTL, but below TML, TBL, BOS, and FLR.

We're in a low tier cesspool of mediocrity that I'm hoping we exit and may the Wings stay there for another few years. Buffalo I can tolerate getting better, as long as they're below us.

Reactions: SENStastic

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Whatever, it's possible, but they can have the bum. He might have one of his 1 in 3 outliers for them, but I'm just glad to be free of his contract. Korpisalo's resume sucks, he's had 3 quality seasons out of 9, only 2 in the last 8, so at least Ullmark has that going for him and would be defying career norms if he were to play poorly in Ottawa.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015

Boston
Toronto
Florida
Tampa
Ottawa
Buffalo
Detroit
Montreal

That's very optimistic, literally everything needs to fall into place for that to happen imo. There's been so many changes I'd wager the likely hood of that happening is extremely low, this season is more likely a transition period to see what the long term plan will actually be for the following years, depending on our performance this year.

My guess is:
Florida
Toronto
Boston
Tampa

Detroit/Buffalo
Ottawa/Montreal

There is still a major gap still between the top and bottom 4. This division sucks for us.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That's very optimistic, literally everything needs to fall into place for that to happen imo. There's been so many changes I'd wager the likely hood of that happening is extremely low, this season is more likely a transition period to see what the long term plan will actually be for the following years, depending on our performance this year.

My guess is:
Florida
Toronto
Boston
Tampa

Detroit/Buffalo
Ottawa/Montreal

There is still a major gap still between the top and bottom 4. This division sucks for us.
I don’t know about that. I love our top 4 D and goaltending. Our top 9 looks very good.

We need a 4LC and a couple depth D on league mins. The roster may have less talent but it fits and slots much better.

Reactions: LiseL

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
I don’t know about that. I love our top 4 D and goaltending. Our top 9 looks very good.

We need a 4LC and a couple depth D on league mins. The roster may have less talent but it fits and slots much better.
The biggest factor for me is Ullmark. He can make or break the season for us, can steal us a WC place or earn us a top 10 pick, either is possible but I see the latter as being more likely without an already established team structure and subpar Dcore. Not in love with any other roster change made, I don't see any real needle moving improvements anywhere else, we just got older and slower and less talented, but added some grit. At least we now have a natural RD finally, guess thats something.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The biggest factor for me is Ullmark. He can make or break the season for us, can steal us a WC place or earn us a top 10 pick, either is possible but I see the latter as being more likely without an already established team structure and subpar Dcore. Not in love with any other roster change made, I don't see any real needle moving improvements anywhere else, we just got older and slower and less talented, but added some grit. At least we now have a natural RD finally, guess thats something.
How would you rank the D corps in the Atlantic ?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Last year's roster was missing Pinto for 41 games, Norris for 32 games, Chabot for 31 games, Traded Tarasenko for the final ~25 games,
Add to that the upgrade from League worst goaltending to a guy that won the Vezina, and this roster is really much better than last years when you assume reasonable health.

Boston will be an interesting case,
Lindholm in, but DeBrusk out.
Zadorov in, but Grzelcyk and Forbert out.

and the big one, going from Ullmark to Korpisalo.

They've improved, but they did it by replacing pretty good players, so the net difference isn't as big as it could be.

Yes and now, I agree everyone will have a good statline when they get good goaltending, but the issue is how rarely we got good goaltending,

Joseph certainly had a good year, but that was a career year and he's notoriously streaky. I'm not convinced he'll reproduce those numbers, and Perron adds different elements. 9 years older isn't really relevant, we care about what they do for the duration of their contracts, they are not core pieces. I'll gladly take Perron over Joseph, I'm fairly confidient he will outproduce Joseph this year, while adding grit and leadership that Joseph does not. Having said that, I would have preferred to keep Joseph over adding Amidio, that's the more comparable player imo.

No he isn't, but he is quick to get up to speed which is sometimes more practical that being faster. Well have to wait and see how they pan out, but imo Joseph is replaceable, and wasn't going to play the same role Perron will so the comparison is an odd one.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yes, Toronto is better. Florida im not so sure on paper, but they have a team structure already in place thats much better overall defensively than anything we have here.
Reilly - Tanev vs Sanderson Zub
McCabe - Liljegren vs Chabot Jenson
OEL - Timmons vs Klevin JBD

Doesn’t scream Toronto to me.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Yeah, I agree. I think we're better than we're giving ourselves credit for. A lot went wrong last year for this team, starting with non-existent coaching for training camp and the first 26 games (which coincided with by far our easiest schedule).

Then we were subjected to league worst goaltending, a debilitating injury to our #1C, the outright loss of our #2 C, the loss of our #3 C for half the year and only one decent RHD. Despite all that we played at a 90 point pace for the entire second half. 90 points would have put us 1 point shy of the playoffs.

Now coming into this year we have categorically eliminated two of our main problems. We have a coach who will actually coach (like him or not) and we have a proven, very consistent goalie.

Our other major issues range from very unlikely to repeat to a reasonable chance they will happen:

1. Stü playing injured the whole year is very unlikely to happen again. - 90% chance this problem is not an issue
2. Norris is still a question mark. I'd say there is 40% chance that he misses a large portion of the year. - 60% chance this is not an issue
3. Losing Pinto for 41 games. - 95% chance this is not an issue.
4. 1 decent RHD - 95% resolved

Our offseason has been far from perfect but we have addressed a lot of our issues. Couple that with some internal growth that is to be expected from the likes of Greig, Stützle, Sanderson and Pinto and I think we're significantly improved.

I think this team pushes 100 points and challenges for 3rd in the division.

Come at me bros!!

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Reilly - Tanev vs Sanderson Zub
McCabe - Liljegren vs Chabot Jenson
OEL - Timmons vs Klevin JBD

Doesn’t scream Toronto to me.
They are still better and deeper, and overall better. That 3rd pair could be a disaster, needs an experienced vet, and it shouldn't be Hamonic.

Reactions: Cosmix

SweSensFan

Feb 15, 2019
As of now without seeing any offseason moves..

Florida
Toronto
Boston
Tampa
Detroit
Ottawa
Buffalo
Montreal
Still pretty accurate I guess. Maybe there is an argument for Ottawa ahead of Detroit mainly because of Ullmark. 5th in atlantic could be 2nd wild card but it will be though!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad