OT: Where do the Sens rank in the Atlantic for 2024-2025?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think ideally, you are right, a vet 4th line forward and a #5/6 D to push JBD down would be great,

but, I don't think it's in the cards. I suspect what we have now will be pretty close to what we see opening night,
We signed Gaudette as that fringe forward to push MacEwen for a spot and will let Guenette, JBD Mantipalo and Hamonic fight it out for that 6th D spot
Maybe we can bring a couple PTO's in to compete for a 4C spot. I still see MacEwen as a 13 . Rooting for Ostapchuk but I also think another year in the AHL would be beneficial. On D we may be more set unless they have a plan to move JBD down (likely lose him) or out. I think JBD deserves the shot.
Giordano would be a guy I would look at to bring in ; not sure he'd come on a PTO. Hamonic may eliminate something like that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Those players are all on two way deals. I dont agree at all. Gaudette is not a 200 foot player he wont be on the 4th line 0 chance. Staios has been talking about the type of players they want for months.

They didn't just burn a pick to trade Joseph for no reason. I think they are waiting for those players prices to come down its July 11th. They have some cap space to be flexible but not too flexible.
Well, Green has a history with Gaudette, and while I don't think he's on the final roster, I do think he's there to create competition.

I also think a big part of why we traded Joseph was to give us flexibility, with a 23 man roster right now (filling the last spots with league min deals) we have about 360k in cap space, so if they plan on carrying 23 they actually don't have a lot of room. Now, they could (and I think should) carry 22 men instead, which would push it up to a little over 1 mil but by leaving that space alone, it can allow them to address areas of concern as they arise instead of being handcuffed.

Basically, I see it as we have Ostapchuk making the top 12, MacEwen, Crookshank and Gaudette competing for the 12th and 13th spots, Hamonic as the Extra D

Then, if it becomes clear in training camp they need to upgrade someone, they have the flexibility to do so, maybe a waiver wire pickup, or a trade.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Maybe we can bring a couple PTO's in to compete for a 4C spot. I still see MacEwen as a 13 . Rooting for Ostapchuk but I also think another year in the AHL would be beneficial. On D we may be more set unless they have a plan to move JBD down (likely lose him) or out. I think JBD deserves the shot.
Giordano would be a guy I would look at to bring in ; not sure he'd come on a PTO. Hamonic may eliminate something like that.
I think I'm higher on Ostapchuk than most, but he could spend another year in Belleville which would open up a spot for an external addition. I'd also prefer MacEwen be the 13th forward, but I think NHL coaches like having guys like him on the roster more so than fans so I won't be surprised if he's skating 7 mins a night for us.

I think you are right about the D being more locked up, JBD needs waivers, Hamonic has the dorion special contract locking him in place, so we have our top 7. We could run with 8 D and 13 forwards

Anyways, there a difference between what I'd like to see and what I expect to see. I'd like to see a roster like what @bert posted, but I expect to see at best one more addition, and likely something closer to the Brassard and Bailey PTO we had the last two seasons than someone who's a lock to be on the roster.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Good post, yeah they need another forward and NHL D man. I'm hoping for Cousins and Schultz.

I'd be pretty pumped for this lineup to start the season.

Tkachuk Pinto Batherson
Norris Stutzle Giroux
Perron Grieg Amadio
Gregor Ostapchuk Cousins
Macewen

Sanderson Zub
Chabot Jensen
Kleven Schultz
Hamonic JBD

Ullmark
Forsberg
Ya I really think some additional depth would be wise. I don't know what they have at their disposal at this point, but it seems like they're still a bit thin on the backend of both D and F.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah a PTO style situation. Or signing these players on cheap one way deals. Maybe I didnt make that clear I am not expecting them to give Cousins or Schultz more than 1.2 million each.

Well, Green has a history with Gaudette, and while I don't think he's on the final roster, I do think he's there to create competition.

I also think a big part of why we traded Joseph was to give us flexibility, with a 23 man roster right now (filling the last spots with league min deals) we have about 360k in cap space, so if they plan on carrying 23 they actually don't have a lot of room. Now, they could (and I think should) carry 22 men instead, which would push it up to a little over 1 mil but by leaving that space alone, it can allow them to address areas of concern as they arise instead of being handcuffed.

Basically, I see it as we have Ostapchuk making the top 12, MacEwen, Crookshank and Gaudette competing for the 12th and 13th spots, Hamonic as the Extra D

Then, if it becomes clear in training camp they need to upgrade someone, they have the flexibility to do so, maybe a waiver wire pickup, or a trade.

He didnt use Gaudette in that role and based on everything I am hearing and what Corrado said he loves his 4th line to be hard and heavy. They even had shirts made when they went on their AHL run that said 'start heavy'. Every time he said that in the room they started the 4th line. That 4th line wont be easy to play against. I dont see any scenario where players like Gaudette and Crookshank play in that role. I think Ostapchuk definitely could and likely will I think he will be the 4th line center to start the season.

Gaudette is that AHL vet they pay alot to be a leader and if they are short on top 6 scoring talent he will get called up. Green will be very good at putting players into positions to succeed and specific roles. That's a strength of a good coach. Gaudette or Crookshank on a 4th line doesnt do that and I dont think anyone should expect that.

By signing players like Schultz and or Cousins to the deals I am talking about its not handcuffing the team its giving it flexibility. I also see a situation where they send down Macewen if they need to as he wont be picked up on waivers.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He didnt use Gaudette in that role and based on everything I am hearing and what Corrado said he loves his 4th line to be hard and heavy. They even had shirts made when they went on their AHL run that said 'start heavy'. Every time he said that in the room they started the 4th line. That 4th line wont be easy to play against. I dont see any scenario where players like Gaudette and Crookshank play in that role. I think Ostapchuk definitely could and likely will I think he will be the 4th line center to start the season.

Gaudette is that AHL vet they pay alot to be a leader and if they are short on top 6 scoring talent he will get called up. Green will be very good at putting players into positions to succeed and specific roles. That's a strength of a good coach. Gaudette or Crookshank on a 4th line doesnt do that and I dont think anyone should expect that.

By signing players like Schultz and or Cousins to the deals I am talking about its not handcuffing the team its giving it flexibility. I also see a situation where they send down Macewen if they need to as he wont be picked up on waivers.
You're the one who has presumed roles, not me. I'm not making an assumption where guys play. Maybe Amadio ends up on the 4th line and Gaudette or Crookshank in a scoring third line if they impresses in camp, they are there for competition more so than as a lock on a roster spot.

I like the idea of signing Schultz and Cousins, but I'll believe it when it happens. I think especially with how the Norris situation played out last year, they will be much more cautious with how they fill out the roster, and leave cap space rather than eat it all up before the puck is dropped.

We already have 7 D that are pretty much lock in. Adding Schultz pretty much guarantees a 23 man roster (that or one of waiving JBD, or no extra fwd). Hamonic is the vet extra D this team will carry imo.

As for Cousins, he'd be a great replacement for MacEwen. That one imo is more realistic, but I don't know that he'd come here on a league min or dirt cheap contract.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Adam Gaudette has played 2 NHL games since his stint with Ottawa. He's an AHLer and he should be a Belleville guy that gets spot duty call up, not an opening night roster spot.
Pretty much how I see it too. If we need an offensive winger due to injury .. he may get a call... I watched him a few games last year and he is dangerous in the AHL. I see these coaches really valuing the defensive side of the puck so not even sure Gaudette is in the top 3 callups but it will depend on need up top. I like Gaudette and he'll get a shot in TC ... Let's see where his defensive game is at.

Reactions: bert

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Pretty much how I see it too. If we need an offensive winger due to injury .. he may get a call... I watched him a few games last year and he is dangerous in the AHL. I see these coaches really valuing the defensive side of the puck so not even sure Gaudette is in the top 3 callups but it will depend on need up top. I like Gaudette and he'll get a shot in TC ... Let's see where his defensive game is at.
He has experience, so I won't discount him completely, just feels like we're scraping the bottom of the barrel if we're penciling in a career AHLer to our 4th line. That's the Dorion type stuff I'd like to get away from if possible and have a guy like that play more like ~30 games as an injury replacement call up.

Reactions: bert

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
He has experience, so I won't discount him completely, just feels like we're scraping the bottom of the barrel if we're penciling in a career AHLer to our 4th line. That's the Dorion type stuff I'd like to get away from if possible and have a guy like that play more like ~30 games as an injury replacement call up.

I agree.

I just looked up his stats though and, holy hell, did he ever tear it up in the AHL last year. 44 goals in 67 games. :oops:

He could be huge for Belleville.

• Wow
Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

He's depth in the system, but last year seems to have been a bit of a banner year for him in the AHL. He more than doubled his previous career highs (albeit in more games). I think he's most likely a callup but I imagine he's coming in confident and hoping to prove he belongs. I expect him to have a strong showing at camp, he knows what's expected of him in a Green run camp,

My expectation is he's down in Belleville, and he should be a great help there, but there's always guys that surprise, like Chartier, Sabourin, or Carkner

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He's depth in the system, but last year seems to have been a bit of a banner year for him in the AHL. He more than doubled his previous career highs (albeit in more games). I think he's most likely a callup but I imagine he's coming in confident and hoping to prove he belongs. I expect him to have a strong showing at camp, he knows what's expected of him in a Green run camp,

My expectation is he's down in Belleville, and he should be a great help there, but there's always guys that surprise, like Chartier, Sabourin, or Carkner
That's fair. Maybe this is where he follows the path of some others and secures a spot in the league later in his career. There is something there looking at his resume. Showed offence in University. 2019-20 looks decent, then he was sort of flat the next year and didn't get much of a shot after that other than with the Senators where he got the 50 games.

It is just a 4th line, and guys like Chartier and Sabourin played admirably, but they also feel like guys that are such offensive black holes they limit the offensive input from the 4th line in general. Carkner separated himself in a specific role, but those other guys I see more as placeholders on a bad team, more than belonging in the league on a good team.

Ultimately, whoever earns it deserves it, but I would like to see another proven depth option involved in said competition.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Mike Futa of Sportsnet was doing a Canadian Team by team analysis on Sportsnet yesterday. He seemed to insinuate that Ottawa was somewhat stagnant.

TSN's Frankie Corrado used the term "they are two spots away form being two spots away from teh playoffs", when he was on Onrait's show this morning.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You're the one who has presumed roles, not me. I'm not making an assumption where guys play. Maybe Amadio ends up on the 4th line and Gaudette or Crookshank in a scoring third line if they impresses in camp, they are there for competition more so than as a lock on a roster spot.

I like the idea of signing Schultz and Cousins, but I'll believe it when it happens. I think especially with how the Norris situation played out last year, they will be much more cautious with how they fill out the roster, and leave cap space rather than eat it all up before the puck is dropped.

We already have 7 D that are pretty much lock in. Adding Schultz pretty much guarantees a 23 man roster (that or one of waiving JBD, or no extra fwd). Hamonic is the vet extra D this team will carry imo.

As for Cousins, he'd be a great replacement for MacEwen. That one imo is more realistic, but I don't know that he'd come here on a league min or dirt cheap contract.
Cousins isn't replacing macewen he is playing with him on the 4th line with Gregor and or Ostapchuk.

If Amadio is on the 4th line that would be a horrid signing. Gaudette playing in the top 9 over him would be a disaster. If that's happening this will not be a team competing for a playoff spot.

I guess you don't agree with my assessment of how Green is going to coach. But I guarantee there will be no soft skill on this teams 4th line barring a major injury situation. This team will have an identity under Green. If not then we're in for a long season.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Bingo won't be happening. I explained from first hand referencing how Green has coached in the past. How he wants his teams to play. Some posters will just ignore it, not sure why but there's no way he's playing in a 4th line role on this team. And as I mentioned before if he's in the top 9 this teams not very good.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Mike Futa of Sportsnet was doing a Canadian Team by team analysis on Sportsnet yesterday. He seemed to insinuate that Ottawa was somewhat stagnant.

TSN's Frankie Corrado used the term "they are two spots away form being two spots away from teh playoffs", when he was on Onrait's show this morning.
Well they have to be better than Detroit, Buffalo, NYI, Washington and Pittsburgh to get the last spot. I think it's possible but I don't think it's likely. I don't see Boston, Toronto or Florida not being locks. NYR and the Devils too. Alot of turnover in Carolina and Tampa but I'd be shocked if Ottawa is better than them either. So really it's likely one spot for 6 bubble teams. I think Buffalo is gonna break out one of these years they're very talented. Tons of upside. Ottawa is gonna need alot to go right to get in.

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Well they have to be better than Detroit, Buffalo, NYI, Washington and Pittsburgh to get the last spot. I think it's possible but I don't think it's likely. I don't see Boston, Toronto or Florida not being locks. NYR and the Devils too. Alot of turnover in Carolina and Tampa but I'd be shocked if Ottawa is better than them either. So really it's likely one spot for 6 bubble teams. I think Buffalo is gonna break out one of these years they're very talented. Tons of upside. Ottawa is gonna need alot to go right to get in.
Each bubble team needs a lot to go right to make the playoffs. Even Toronto is a long injury to Matthews from being in trouble.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
On three road trips I think we went 0-5,0-5,0-4. If we went 2-3, 2-3, 1-3 that's 10 points and puts us within 2 of a wild card. Ullmark, full season of Pinto and Norris. Even if Norris takes 3/4 of the year to round into form, a healthy 50 point Norris is better than no Norris. Consistent lines and Defence pairings will help too I would think. A normal amount of injuries, not Senators normal but average you know. Better coaching from the start with a training camp. A wild card spot is tough, possible, very tough. A surprise would be nice too. Jensen and Chabot gell and Chabot goes off for 65 points.....By Christmas Ostapchuk is playing like a 3rd line center on the fourth line and they are feasting on other teams 3rd and 4th lines. Whhhhoooooaaa! Putting the cart before the horse! (See what I did there? Whoa, horse..) Let's start with a solid training camp.

Reactions: LiseL

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Cousins isn't replacing macewen he is playing with him on the 4th line with Gregor and or Ostapchuk.

If amadio is on the 4th line that would be a horrid signing. Gaudette playing in the top 9 over h8m would be a disaster. If that's happening this will not be a team competing for a playoff spot.

I guess you don't agree with my assessment of how Green is going to coach. But I guarantee there will be no soft skill on this teams 4th line barring a major injury situation. This team will have an identity under Green. If not then we're in for a long season.
You literally had MacEwen listed as the 13th forward on your lineup, why are you now saying Cousins isn't replacing him, and would instead be playing with him?

I never suggested putting soft skill guys on the fourth line, what I said is if Gaudette or a skilled guy like him earns a top 9 spot he could push Amadio down when they sub in. It's not a disaster if a guy impresses at camp and you need to find a way to fit them into the roster, quite the opposite in fact.

We'll see what happens, I still think we are more likely done than we are to be adding two guys (Cousins and Schultz, or whoever). That doesn't mean I think adding two guys is a bad idea, I just think that with our cap situation, it's unlikely unless we move somebody out (likely JBD since Hamonic has a full NMC). I suppose the other option is starting Ostapchuk in the AHL, and having him in our back pocket for callups, but I think he's ready for 4th line duties.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I did hear from a contact he was the front runner and did mention it. Thanks for the acknowledgement. Last time I said something that I heard it was met with way more back lash. I guess people only want to hear positive stuff haha.

I think Franki Corrado is a very bright hockey mind and articulates himself very well. He breaks down the details of game as well as anyone. Worth a listen in my opinion. He talked about how good of a coach green was way before the sens hired him. So that gave me some piece of mind. He talked about Babcock too, in comparison Green seems way more forward thinking. But also holds his players accountable.
From everything I've read/heard about Green, he's a player's coach in that he deals with each player to help them play to their strengths but he is hard-nosed when it comes to compete levels and accountability, hence the hard training camps and practices. For me, that seems like a perfect blend of styles. I'm also encouraged that Yeo is one of the assistants and that Baumgartner was a long-time defenceman in the NHL. Other than JM, this is the most excited I've been about coaches in a long time. I also think the vets that have been added to the roster will help foster a winning culture. I usually don't spend a lot of time following training camps or the pre-season, but this year, I will. It's been a long time that I have been so looking forward to the start of a new season.

Reactions: bert and Crosside

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

These predictions are kind of meaningless because our season depends almost entirely on what our core becomes now that they’re surrounded properly, and no one can really predict that.

All Staios did this off-season was remove the barriers to their growth. He brought in a polished coaching staff, a legit #1 goalie and vets to compliment them. End of the day we are not a playoff team unless most of our core takes significant strides, and if they do we can be quite good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad